News Article: Sport- Express interview with Ivan Provorov

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Ivan Provorov: “Was I trusted in Yaroslavl? My family and I decided that I would be better off in America”

Interview to Sport-Express.ru

http://www.sport-express.ru/hockey/...reshili-chto-luchshe-budet-v-amerike-1255036/

Q: You are a rising star. And so far you have justified all forecasts. However, sometimes young players lose their focus after all the praise they receive.

A: I have not paid any attention to that. I have a simple recipe: any player, even Crosby, can get better. Since my early childhood my father had taught me to improve in every practice, every game. And when you are focused just on that, you have no time to listen what’s being said by others.

Q: OK. I will praise you just once. It seems that you possess the very important quality for every hockey player- after an error you get yourself together and move on. You are seemingly not frustrated by errors. How do you manage that?

A: I always remember that one error should not kill the entire game. However, there were games when everything seemed to get wrong. You might remember one of the Flyers- Chicago games that I finished with +/- of -5. Nothing went right. It was upsetting, I was ashamed. But you have to remember that life does not stop with the moments like that, and a game goes on. Nobody stopped the match. It’s not worth focusing on errors for long, overthinking what went wrong. One has to remember that moment, analyze it and move on with the game.

Q: In the end you have become Flyers best player, and you received a cup. What else were you given?

A: Nothing. There is a wall with players pictures and autographs. Everything was very ordinary. My photo was taken, and I just signed it. I even haven’t had time to study that wall.

Q: You have not played in adult leagues in Russia. Have you ever been yelled at by a coach in America?

A: Not that I can recall.

Q: Strange.

A: I have not had a conflict with any single coach. I have always understood what’ required of me And have always done my best to do so.

Q: I have been always surprised that you had gone to America that early.

A: It’s just my family and I made a decision that for my development it was better to go to America early. To get used to North America style, smaller rinks, to learn language. All of it happened at the age when I was not yet eligible for MHL.

Q: So, they did not trust in you in Yaroslavl?

A: Let me answer that way- my family and I decided that it would be better for my career to play in America.

Q: Is it true that you almost became a table tennis player?

A: Well, my first sport award was in table tennis. I earned a bronze medal in Yaroslavl regional championship.

Q: You, probably, have no competition in table tennis in the NHL?

A: There is a table available in the Flyers facility, but there is seldom any time to play. After a practice I try to recuperate. I go to a gym or a weight room. There is hardy any time before practice. Although, we did play a few times. I beat Giroux; I do not remember other results.

Q: Even this answer shows your serious attention to everything.

A: There is no other way. I want to play well. I want to achieve results. One has to take their job seriously. I start my preparation to a new season one month after the finish of the previous one.

Q: What are you eating before a game?

A: I try not to eat at least for six hours before a game. It’s important to me to be hungry, light. However, I eat 2 bananas just before we go on the ice.

Q: You shared a hotel room with Roman Lyubimov for away games. I thought, you have earned a single room.

A: I have an entry level contract, it does not allow for a single room. By the way, it’s better than it was earlier. One had to play 400 games in the NHL to earn a single room.

Q: Do you have to collect pucks after a training session?

A: No. I live in a hotel room- that’s the only indication of my rookie status. I do not even know who gathers pucks.

Q: Lyubimov lives in New Jersey. Seems strange since you are playing in Pennsylvania

A: I also live there. It’s closer to our training facility. We only play in Philadelphia.

Q: Are there dangerous spots in Philadelphia?

A: There is one, I’ve heard. I do not even know its name. Otherwise, it’s a calm city.

Q: Where would you take a person who is visiting Philadelphia for the first time?

A: To the sport area with football, baseball stadiums and our arena. There are a lot of museums in Philadelphia. There are places to go.

Q: Why did Lyubimov have all the problems. He barely played in the second halg of the season.

A: I would not say that Roman played poorly in his first season. Please keep in mind that he had played only Russia before coming here. Everything is much different here. Additionally, he had no language. It’s very difficult, but he was looking ok. He really tried.

Q: You scored your first professional goal against Vasilevsky. Has he said anything?

A: He said that I had scored on a good goalie and I will have a good career.

Q: Smart. Bryzgalov had complained about journalists in Philadelphia and eluded that they had ruined his career. What is your relationship with these “terrible” journalists?

A: I have not had any problem.

Q: It appeared that you did have difficult time with them in the beginning of the season. They accused you of not joining the attack and you said that you could play different styles of hockey.

A: No, it probably just appeared that way. Perhaps, it was lost in translation. Everything is ok between them and me.

Q: Your second season is ahead of you. Are you concerned about “sophomore slump”?

A: But you remember my recipe, right? I try not to think about things like that. I will start training soon and will be 100% ready for a new season. Everything is remained to be seen.

Q: You have been drafted by “Lokomotiv” with # 120. Should they have any hope?

A: All my plans and aspirations are with the NHL.

Last edited:

karlstegger

May 15, 2016
Denmark
Nice read, really great attitude. Can't wait to watch him some more next season.

Thanks for bringing the interview.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
His attitude is so great. On a similar note, Morin's is as well.

I wish our other kids would have articles like this where we get a peak into their head.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
"All my plans and aspirations are with the NHL".

Love it.

My man crush for Provorov increases by the day.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the translation, as always, CSKA1974. We all really appreciate it.

As for the interview, I assume it's a mixture of both things being lost in translation to English and also translation to text, but it seemed like some strange questions. Almost as if he was fishing for something negative. Perhaps it was more natural and innocent in person. But, either way, props to Provorov for handling it like a champ, perfect attitude about everything.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Thanks once again for the translation.

I enjoy these interviews because the foreign media comes from such a different angle. They don't tend to be the same questions the locals ask over and over again.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Very interesting what he said about Luby, his lack of English seemed to be a real issue - probably because he struggled picking up his role and working with his teammates. Strange that he'd come over without putting the work to learn rudimentary English.

"I would not say that Roman played poorly in his first season. Please keep in mind that he had played only Russia before coming here. Everything is much different here. Additionally, he had no language. It’s very difficult, but he was looking ok. He really tried."

Provorov is very aware of media and nuances at a young age.
We should check his birth certificate!

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Thanks for the translation, as always, CSKA1974. We all really appreciate it.

As for the interview, I assume it's a mixture of both things being lost in translation to English and also translation to text, but it seemed like some strange questions. Almost as if he was fishing for something negative. Perhaps it was more natural and innocent in person. But, either way, props to Provorov for handling it like a champ, perfect attitude about everything.

I actually tried to keep as close as possible to the original tone. I think I even mellowed a few questions

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Man when he really matures, he's going to be something else. He's a fantastic defenseman right now, but it's crazy just how much better he's going to get. He does all the right things and says all the right things. Ridiculous how aware he is of things at such a young age.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Very interesting what he said about Luby, his lack of English seemed to be a real issue - probably because he struggled picking up his role and working with his teammates. Strange that he'd come over without putting the work to learn rudimentary English.

I know you have a certain obsession with Lyubimov, but all other reports from players and coaches emphasized how easy communicating was with him, as he certainly had a working rudimentary grasp on English. He did several interviews even throughout the season with no translator. They made it very clear Lyubimov was significantly easier to communicate with than Medvedev.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I know you have a certain obsession with Lyubimov, but all other reports from players and coaches emphasized how easy communicating was with him, as he certainly had a working rudimentary grasp on English. He did several interviews even throughout the season with no translator. They made it very clear Lyubimov was significantly easier to communicate with than Medvedev.

He just makes **** up.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Well, you have completely jumped the shark now. I can't even with this comment.

I know Provy is a robot, but these Russians can't download English into their databases. Use your head - the living one.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Thanks for the translation, CSKA. That idiotic comment above has soured my mood, but it was a great and hilarious read.
I think he was probably interviewed by someone named Timoshov Pannacielevsky.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I actually tried to keep as close as possible to the original tone. I think I even mellowed a few questions

Oh yeah of course. I didn't mean your translation was faulty or anything, just that translation in general tends to make things sound different than it did in the original language sometimes.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Oh yeah of course. I didn't mean your translation was faulty or anything, just that translation in general tends to make things sound different than it did in the original language sometimes.

My translations are never perfect, I am an amateur :laugh: I did not take your remark personally.

And you are correct, some linguistic and cultural nuances will always be lost in translation. I can see this loss even in masterful literature translations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad