Speculation: SPOONER and GRIFFITH sent down?

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
The NHL Cap is different than the NFL. Any extensions count towards next year's cap. You can't push the money into this year. Their contracts for this year are what they are; 1.4, 1.4 and 1m. Great deals by Chiarelli. But, nobody wants to hear it. We have enough space to sign those 3 and Dougie for next year. Sky ain't falling. And, we will make an in-season move at some point.

I meant next years cap! I'm not very intelligent with this sort of thing. The spare cap space from this season can just sit in the bank, and ultimately contribute to next years improved salaries (Smith, Krug 2/3m etc.), can't it? Wouldn't using up the space create a more difficult situation next year?

blackngold4877

Aug 31, 2006
An extra 5 for krug and smith, 9 million left. Am extra 4 for hamilton, 5 million left. Everyone else we say goodbye, unless Carl wants to stay on for 4 or under at 2 or less years. Then the following year lucic gets a million extra or we wave goodbye to him as well. He ain't worth more than 7.

He's in no way worth 7, nevermind more.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I know the $3million is for "this season".

Notice how I said the cap space will be used to give the players raises.

The $14 million in next year's space turns into $3million if you take into account how much we're paying the team this year. Now considering the fact that all of the players I mentioned are on track for significant raises, we will need a lot more than what we're going to have to resign everybody.

Gotcha. I'm not very good with the cap. Thanks for taking the time explain your post to me. Much appreciated. :)

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
I meant next years cap! I'm not very intelligent with this sort of thing. The spare cap space from this season can just sit in the bank, and ultimately contribute to next years improved salaries (Smith, Krug 2/3m etc.), can't it? Wouldn't using up the space create a more difficult situation next year?

I don't believe you can carry cap space not used over. You can use a little in NFL. Don't believe you can in NHL.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
My guess, either they want them to get some game time and will be called up, or they leave them down there call up Caron and make him and Fraser 12th/13th forwards.

I said it before, I knew once Campbell was back Claude would punt Spooner back to providence as fast as possible. He will never be a center on a Claude Julien team.

and precisely whom of the 4 current center men in Boston do you think Spooner could replace?

And you honestly think Claude is THE reason behind Spoons being "punted" down to Providence???

Sorry, some here complained he wasn`t given a shot in terms of TOI then some of those same people want him playing 4th line minutes??

Can see that now if/when Spooner isn`t able to produce, they`d blame it on the fact he`s playing with stone handed fourth liners

Bottom line is this IMO, the kid is in the wrong organization at the wrong time, he`s not better than DK/Sods/Bergy and he can`t do what Soupy does on a game by game basis when healthy and I`m far from convinced he`ll be a guy who can play the wall effectively if he is tried on the wing.

He`ll be moved, and I`ll wager it won`t be long before it happens and truth is, wouldn`t upset me one bit, haven`t been nearly as impressed with the kid as some here

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Id like Spoons traded but not for nothing. Not picks in 2 years, we need a piece coming back that can help now.

I`d be real interested to be in the board rooms of other teams and listen to any chat surrounding Spooner, I like the kid`s skill set but I`m not one who thinks he`s as highly regarded around the league as he is on this board

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I`d be real interested to be in the board rooms of other teams and listen to any chat surrounding Spooner, I like the kid`s skill set but I`m not one who thinks he`s as highly regarded around the league as he is on this board

Agreed. I feel that every organization has their own version of Spooner in their system. Nyi have someone like anders Lee, Dallas has radek faksa, Philly has Scott Laughton. All those guys I look at and go "ehh." Yet I'm sure each of those fan bases treat them like we do spooner

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Agreed. I feel that every organization has their own version of Spooner in their system. Nyi have someone like anders Lee, Dallas has radek faksa, Philly has Scott Laughton. All those guys I look at and go "ehh." Yet I'm sure each of those fan bases treat them like we do spooner

Agreed,

I`d say every fan base does this with certain players

Under appreciates a few and over estimating the value of others

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

Faksa is bigger than Spooner and can throw a nice body check. Spooner is just not that physical. The Bruins have drafted a few players lately that really don't seem to fit the mold. Nothing wrong with changing and trying to incorporate speed and skill to match other squads. Just not sure they have accomplished that. Maybe because I am older than Moses I have the wrong idea of a Bruin prototype.

member 96824

Big fans of both Faksa and Laughton. IMO both are on a higher tier of prospect than Spooner because of their all around ability along with the scoring....especially Laughton. Faksa seemed to fail to take the next step last year, but I wouldn't write him off yet by any means.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
An extra 5 for krug and smith, 9 million left. Am extra 4 for hamilton, 5 million left. Everyone else we say goodbye, unless Carl wants to stay on for 4 or under at 2 or less years. Then the following year lucic gets a million extra or we wave goodbye to him as well. He ain't worth more than 7.

I don't think Krug gets $4m (1.4 + 2.5m). Same for Smith and I believe Carl signs for less than $4m for 3-4 years.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
and precisely whom of the 4 current center men in Boston do you think Spooner could replace?

And you honestly think Claude is THE reason behind Spoons being "punted" down to Providence???

Sorry, some here complained he wasn`t given a shot in terms of TOI then some of those same people want him playing 4th line minutes??

Can see that now if/when Spooner isn`t able to produce, they`d blame it on the fact he`s playing with stone handed fourth liners

Bottom line is this IMO, the kid is in the wrong organization at the wrong time, he`s not better than DK/Sods/Bergy and he can`t do what Soupy does on a game by game basis when healthy and I`m far from convinced he`ll be a guy who can play the wall effectively if he is tried on the wing.

He`ll be moved, and I`ll wager it won`t be long before it happens and truth is, wouldn`t upset me one bit, haven`t been nearly as impressed with the kid as some here

You took the post right out of my fingers :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad