Speculation: SPOONER and GRIFFITH sent down?

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
My guess, either they want them to get some game time and will be called up, or they leave them down there call up Caron and make him and Fraser 12th/13th forwards.

I said it before, I knew once Campbell was back Claude would punt Spooner back to providence as fast as possible. He will never be a center on a Claude Julien team.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
I think the available cap space will remain unused. Improved deals for Hamilton, Krug, Smith, Yeti etc. in the next 12 months. We're already going to have to make tough decisions & sacrifices as it is

We may see a like-for-like trade though I guess

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
....or they need a defenseman if Miller's going to be out longer than they'd wish.

Brandon Gormley? :D

Sorry, I'm just all over this idea.

Still think this is just to get Spooner and Griffith in for a game and hopefully boost Providence for their third game in three days. Apparently Knight is scratched, so this makes the most sense to me.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Brandon Gormley? :D

Sorry, I'm just all over this idea.

Still think this is just to get Spooner and Griffith in for a game and hopefully boost Providence for their third game in three days. Apparently Knight is scratched, so this makes the most sense to me.

Knight is playing. And he will get his call up try sooner than people expect. Not saying tomorrow, but sooner than people expect because many believe he never will be.

#Thanksgiving

Mr. Make-Believe

Knight is playing. And he will get his call up try sooner than people expect. Not saying tomorrow, but sooner than people expect because many believe he never will be.

#Thanksgiving

That's what I get for referencing BS. :naughty: :laugh:

If that's the case and the Providence Bruins are running their same lineup, then I'm not sure why Spooner and Griffith have been sent down. :dunno:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
That's what I get for referencing BS. :naughty: :laugh:

If that's the case and the Providence Bruins are running their same lineup, then I'm not sure why Spooner and Griffith have been sent down. :dunno:

If they can be sent down for a day and get into a game while at the same time save on what is a very fragile amount of cap space - even for one day, it's a good move for both the players and the business side of the game.

Both were healthy scratches yesterday. And they can't have two forwards sitting upstairs eating cap space when they are tight. One will almost certainly be back up tomorrow along with a d-man (depending on Miller)

Sometimes its just a black and white move, but we turn it into gray

Mr. Make-Believe

If they can be sent down for a day and get into a game while at the same time save on what is a very fragile amount of cap space - even for one day, it's a good move for both the players and the business side of the game.

Both were healthy scratches yesterday. And they can't have two forwards sitting upstairs eating cap space when they are tight. One will almost certainly be back up tomorrow along with a d-man (depending on Miller)

Sometimes its just a black and white move, but we turn it into gray

I was making the assumption that they wouldn't be playing; unsure of who the scratches are after Knight was debunked. What you say here was my original assumption.

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
I think the available cap space will remain unused. Improved deals for Hamilton, Krug, Smith, Yeti etc. in the next 12 months. We're already going to have to make tough decisions & sacrifices as it is

We may see a like-for-like trade though I guess

The NHL Cap is different than the NFL. Any extensions count towards next year's cap. You can't push the money into this year. Their contracts for this year are what they are; 1.4, 1.4 and 1m. Great deals by Chiarelli. But, nobody wants to hear it. We have enough space to sign those 3 and Dougie for next year. Sky ain't falling. And, we will make an in-season move at some point.

NightmanCometh

Feb 11, 2014
Minnesota
We're going to have to figure something out. Next season we have to sign some extensions and a lot of our players are in a prime position to get raises. We've been relying on our young guys so much over the last couple of seasons, they're due for some decent money.

Major guys that will need new deals

Hamilton, Krug, Yeti, Smith, Lucic

Currently we have ~3 million in space. If the cap goes up by 1.5 million or so (as many predict) that gives us 4.5 million in space to somehow give raises to all of those guys.

Yeti currently makes 900,000. The guy can easily go for 5 million on the open market right now, some teams would pay even more than that.

Despite all the drama and hooplah, Lucic remains one of the most unique talents and best overall PWF's in the NHL. I don't even want to know how much money he is going to cost us next season.

Smith's price will largely depend on his points this year, but the kid shows no signs of slowing down. If he can bag us 20-something goals and 50-something points expect him to command $5 million.

Hamilton will be signed for sure. He's going to be the future of this organization when Chara isn't around anymore. I'd expect a very long-term deal.

Krug won't come cheap either... these defensive quarterbacks/snipers are very rare and valuable. I'd say he will also be worth around $5 million.

Things are looking scary. If we want to resign these guys @ what they're actually worth we won't be keeping them all. I'm not sure if there is any magic that can be worked, but it's not looking good right now.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
We're going to have to figure something out. Next season we have to sign some extensions and a lot of our players are in a prime position to get raises. We've been relying on our young guys so much over the last couple of seasons, they're due for some decent money.

Currently we have ~3 million in space. If the cap goes up by 1.5 million or so (as many predict) that gives us 4.5 million in space to somehow give raises to all of those guys.

Yeti currently makes 900,000. The guy can easily go for 5 million on the open market right now, some teams would pay even more than that.

Despite all the drama and hooplah, Lucic remains one of the most unique talents and best overall PWF's in the NHL. I don't even want to know how much money he is going to cost us next season.

Smith's price will largely depend on his points this year, but the kid shows no signs of slowing down. If he can bag us 20-something goals and 50-something points expect him to command $5 million.

Hamilton will be signed for sure. He's going to be the future of this organization when Chara isn't around anymore. I'd expect a very long-term deal.

Krug won't come cheap either... these defensive quarterbacks/snipers are very rare and valuable. I'd say he will also be worth around $5 million.

Things are looking scary. If we want to resign these guys @ what they're actually worth we won't be keeping them all. I'm not sure if there is any magic that can be worked, but it's not looking good right now.

The good news is that krug and smith will both be RFA at year end so they won't get 5 from anyone without giving the bs a first round pick at least. Which means the bs won't pay them 5 either. I'd sign krug for 2 years at 3.5 then let grizz step right in after that. I'd keep smith around but again, not long term. Maybe 3 years at 3.5-4. Hamilton I'm thinking gets 5 @ 5 if they don't want the bridge deal for him. Soderberg is probably gone (hellooo koko). Lucic won't get a very big raise.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Your $3 million in space is this season. They have $14 million in space for next year and that's without the cap going up.

It's also $14 million in "tag space" to extend players during this season

NightmanCometh

Feb 11, 2014
Minnesota
Your $3 million in space is this season. They have $14 million in space for next year and that's without the cap going up.

It's also $14 million in "tag space" to extend players during this season

I know the $3million is for "this season".

Notice how I said the cap space will be used to give the players raises.

The $14 million in next year's space turns into $3million if you take into account how much we're paying the team this year. Now considering the fact that all of the players I mentioned are on track for significant raises, we will need a lot more than what we're going to have to resign everybody.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I know the $3million is for "this season".

Notice how I said the cap space will be used to give the players raises.

The $14 million in next year's space turns into $3million if you take into account how much we're paying the team this year. Now considering the fact that all of the players I mentioned are on track for significant raises, we will need a lot more than what we're going to have to resign everybody.

An extra 5 for krug and smith, 9 million left. Am extra 4 for hamilton, 5 million left. Everyone else we say goodbye, unless Carl wants to stay on for 4 or under at 2 or less years. Then the following year lucic gets a million extra or we wave goodbye to him as well. He ain't worth more than 7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad