Line Combos: Split up Giroux and Voracek?

JayRosehillMVP

snubbed again
May 28, 2012
Philadelphia
We've got one line that can score. That's a problem. The Couturier line plays way to much to not be scoring at all.

My suggestion:

Raffl-Giroux-Simmonds
Schenn-Couturier-Voracek
Bellemare-Laughton-Read
Umberger-Lecavalier-Rinaldo

Splitting up what Giroux and Voracek have right now probably isn't the best idea, but we may need to spread the scoring around.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Leave the lines in tact. Give them some time to gel. The Laughton line was clicking but couldn't quite drive one home.

Berube needs to quit tinkering.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
No. We have one single thing working, don't **** with it.

You split them up and it will probably drop each of their scoring more than it raises their linemates scoring. We go from a 1 line team to a no line team, the PP will be the only thing working at all.

The two of them are too perfect together, I don't want that split up. Especially since it looks like the Raffl-Laughton-Simmonds line has some potential.

Insulin

Jan 23, 2013
Atlantic City
I've been a big proponent of splitting them up in the past, but they're too good together right now and it should not happen.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah that fourth line would never happen nor should it. They would be absolutely dreadful & decreasing their minutes to the bare minimum wouldn't work neither as it would burn the other guys out from playing too much essentially effecting their games.

The lineup Chief put out the other night is pretty much the best you're going to be able to do realistically.

Schenn - Giroux - Voracek
Umberger - Couturier - Read
Raffl - Laughton - Simmonds
Rinaldo - Bellemare - Lecavalier

I also agree with the sentiments above in that we should just keep these line together & see it through. I also don't believe we should break up the only thing working on this team & risk being left with nothing working.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
Move Schenn back to Couturiers line. Raffl can move to the top line where he played well earlier. Im not convinced Schenn is the right fit with Voracek and Giroux. His 2 Goal game a few weeks ago was after the outcome had long been decided. The top lines production has slowed alot recently.

Clown Baby*

They're the only thing worth watching in this god-forsaken season.

Pass.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
I've been a proponent of at least trying to split up G and Jake at ES for a cpl years now. Theyre the only 2 players that can drive the play on this team, theyre also both pass first players. Giroux scored his first even strength goal of the season last game-thats actually pathetic. Regardless of how dominant G and Jake can appear on the ice together, I still dont see any real chemistry that you couldn't just attribute to the fact that theyre simply 2 elite level playmakers on the ice at the same time, it doesn't amount to much on the scoreboard either because they can't finish eachother's plays. They've had years together now, they can be dominant without being dangerous.

This team has been nothing short of tragically atrocious at even strength for years now. Shut down the G/Jake line and MOST other team's bottom 3 lines can outplay our bottom 9 skaters at 5 on 5. Anytime. Anywhere. We've shuffled everyone else around pretty much everywhere they can go. We've learnt that no one else can drive play on this team at all.

Both our eggs are still in the same basket, and we're still getting crushed on the ice at even strength. game in. game out. season in. season out.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Crosby and Malkin don't play together at ES. Granted, Giroux and Voracek aren't quite that good, but they could probably get split up to effectively balance the lines. Voracek on Couturier's line could be just what the doctor ordered!

Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds
Read-Couturier-Voracek
Bellemare-Laughton-Raffl
Rinaldo-Lecavalier-Umberger

Don't really understand the reluctance to try. Why not experiment to see what else works. There's no harm in it since the playoffs are a reach for this season anyway!

JayRosehillMVP

snubbed again
May 28, 2012
Philadelphia
We just dropped 4 straight. I hardly see how this is the worst idea, at least for a game or two. We'd at the very least possess the puck more, which is what we need badly. Is everyone really content with what we've been seeing on the ice?

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
We just dropped 4 straight. I hardly see how this is the worst idea, at least for a game or two. We'd at the very least possess the puck more, which is what we need badly. Is everyone really content with what we've been seeing on the ice?

Yeah, seriously. It's kind of crazy how resistant people are to change even when nothing we've already tried is working.

Split Giroux and Voracek up. Split up Couturier and Read, try Couturier on Giroux's wing or centering Voracek, let Laughton play with one of the superstars, etc...I don't care-- none of these suggestions can be that much worse than what's happening right now.

JayRosehillMVP

snubbed again
May 28, 2012
Philadelphia
Yeah, seriously. It's kind of crazy how resistant people are to change even when nothing we've already tried is working.

Split Giroux and Voracek up. Split up Couturier and Read, try Couturier on Giroux's wing or centering Voracek, let Laughton play with one of the superstars, etc...I don't care-- none of these suggestions can be that much worse than what's happening right now.

One things for sure, scratching Bellemare isn't the answer.

CanadianSniper

Nov 11, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Crosby and Malkin don't play together at ES. Granted, Giroux and Voracek aren't quite that good, but they could probably get split up to effectively balance the lines. Voracek on Couturier's line could be just what the doctor ordered!

Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds
Read-Couturier-Voracek
Bellemare-Laughton-Raffl

Don't really understand the reluctance to try. Why not experiment to see what else works. There's no harm in it since the playoffs are a reach for this season anyway!

Another large reason for that is that they are both Centres. Them playing together takes one of them out of their optimal position. As for the op idea of splitting them up, there's no harm in trying it for sure, but G and V have chemistry, and that's something that can't be guaranteed they will have with other line mates if split up. It could work out, or it could just bring both their numbers down when they don't connect with new linemates. Personally I'd just keep them both together, they're all we've got goin right now.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I would try this lineup: Two scoring lines, a checking line with three speedy, defensively responsible players, and a 4th line that gets 7 minutes a game.

Raffl-Giroux-Simmonds
BSchenn-Couturier-Voracek
Bellemare-Laughton-Read

Del Zotto-Coburn
MacDonald-Streit
Schultz-LSchenn

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Another large reason for that is that they are both Centres. Them playing together takes one of them out of their optimal position. As for the op idea of splitting them up, there's no harm in trying it for sure, but G and V have chemistry, and that's something that can't be guaranteed they will have with other line mates if split up. It could work out, or it could just bring both their numbers down when they don't connect with new linemates. Personally I'd just keep them both together, they're all we've got goin right now.

During Couturier's rookie year, he and Voracek spent some time together for several games and they looked good together. I think it's a pairing that could work. Keep Schenn with Giroux and move Simmonds to the right wing. Then, have Raffl skate with Couturier and Voracek. Laughton can have Read on the right side and whoever on the left.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I would try this lineup: Two scoring lines, a checking line with three speedy, defensively responsible players, and a 4th line that gets 7 minutes a game.

Raffl-Giroux-Simmonds
BSchenn-Couturier-Voracek
Bellemare-Laughton-Read

Del Zotto-Coburn
MacDonald-Streit
Schultz-LSchenn

Was thinking the exact same thing with the forward lineup.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
The solution to solving the secondary scoring isn't to break up the one thing that works. Splitting up a top line makes sense if opposing teams' defensive focus is hindering their production, but Giroux/Voracek have been rolling over top defenders all season long. This is the perfect situation for them, and ruining that chemistry could be disastrous. It screams desperation and laziness, quite frankly.

And just an odd thought... but sacrificing the best players to carry the under-performers goes against Snider's personal philosophy (not that I agree with it). Of course, he doesn't have a hand in day-to-day line combinations, but he does have an overarching, organizational vision.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
And just an odd thought... but sacrificing the best players to carry the under-performers goes against Snider's personal philosophy (not that I agree with it). Of course, he doesn't have a hand in day-to-day line combinations, but he does have an overarching, organizational vision.

Ummm... not really. The players are not competing with each other, they are working together.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
I'm not sure how it screams laziness, but if it screams desperation, there's a good reason why. We're desperate.
Because breaking up the top line is an easy change that wouldn't take an ounce of introspection from Berube. He should recognize that he's not getting the best out of his players, re-analyze his own system and style and adapt accordingly. But that would take humility and effort.
Disastrous how? We're already bottom 5 in the league.
We're still only 7 points off a playoff spot. Not saying we're cup contenders, but the direction the Flyers go from here could either turn things around or dig a deeper hole. Then again, I supposed you could argue that McDavid wouldn't be "disastrous".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad