GDT: Split-squad game Sept 22 against Anaheim [Mod Note: Ducks Website May Have Stream?]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Why was McLeod playing so half-assed before JSG spoke up in the media about people not playing hard then? Why, as a leader and someone with an "A" on their chest, did he allow the team to just give up and form a "Vegas culture", and then needed JSG to say something? If you can't even take pride in your own game, well, that's not exactly a characteristic of someone who takes pride in their team, especially someone who has more pride than 99% of the players. It's easy to be a leader and show great team pride when things are going well. It's the bad times that real leaders step up, not cave themselves.

Hmm. Not sure if that's valid criticism, a bit harsh. Or perhaps both.

At the end of that disastrous season, I seem to remember McLeod playing the same basic game he's always played - playing all out, physical forecheck, decent speed, hands of stone. I don't remember his game degrading all that much during the latter days of Sacco, unlike a lot of players. That degradation didn't happen until this past season under Roy.

And while JSG's Vegas comments to the press were a nice breath of fresh air for us long-frustrated fans, who really knows what was said behind closed doors amongst the players? I think it's much easier to see on-ice leadership than off-ice. Any conclusions made around the latter are likely top heavy in conjecture.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Hmm. Not sure if that's valid criticism, a bit harsh. Or perhaps both.

At the end of that disastrous season, I seem to remember McLeod playing the same basic game he's always played - playing all out, physical forecheck, decent speed, hands of stone. I don't remember his game degrading all that much during the latter days of Sacco, unlike a lot of players. That degradation didn't happen until this past season under Roy.

And while JSG's Vegas comments to the press were a nice breath of fresh air for us long-frustrated fans, who really knows what was said behind closed doors amongst the players? I think it's much easier to see on-ice leadership than off-ice. Any conclusions made around the latter are likely top heavy in conjecture.

At the end of the season after JSG spoke up he was playing the same basic game he's always played. I didn't notice that before though. His intensity level seemed to have done a complete 180 to me and he just looked a lot faster down the ice. Up until that point I just thought he was really slow. Keep in mind that was the first year seeing him play.

I'm not really trying to criticize him. I don't really blame anyone for giving up on that disaster of a coach. And I certainly don't want him to loose his "A" (that would be a really jerk thing to do). I just don't think he has shown to have more pride for their team than 99% of players.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think this thread can be shut down now

No more need for the thread now that we've all agreed that the Avs should replace Berra with Marty, sell the broadcasting rights to what happens on the bench to tlc or some other crappy reality tv channel, and use the proceeds to circumvent the cap vis-a-vis ror's next contract.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
At the end of the season after JSG spoke up he was playing the same basic game he's always played. I didn't notice that before though. His intensity level seemed to have done a complete 180 to me and he just looked a lot faster down the ice. Up until that point I just thought he was really slow. Keep in mind that was the first year seeing him play.

I'm not really trying to criticize him. I don't really blame anyone for giving up on that disaster of a coach. And I certainly don't want him to loose his "A" (that would be a really jerk thing to do). I just don't think he has shown to have more pride for their team than 99% of players.

Well, as a guy whose watched the team an awful lot for a lot of years, my opinion is that McLeod's game has been very similar for years now - up until last season. In fact, it's really one of the things that's endearing about McLeod as a player - game in, game out, you know what you're going to get.

Now, what you typically get is 4th line play. But McLeod gave the Avs very consistent 4th line play damn near every night he got on the ice. He's a very consistent player, IMO. Or was, prior to 2013.

Not sure what happened to him last year. A lot of people seem to believe that his suspension due to the Kronwall hit made him change his game. I'm not so sure I believe that, but I have no alternative explanation that's appreciably better. ;)

Wonder which McLeod we'll see this season.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I have a general question, and I'm not trying to pick on any individual poster here:

Why does it seem some posters are so interested in shutting threads down? Particularly when they themselves not been active participants in it for several days, or have not previously participated at all? I see this all of the time in the trade forum. I find this to be a very odd cultural 'thing' on hfb.

I mean, if you've lost interest in a thread, don't read it anymore. Why hop in from the outside and push to shut down a thread in which other people are actively posting?

There are any number of threads that I don't read, as I'm simply not interested in the topic. But I don't hop into them and try to shut them down, as other people posting there are interested. You know?

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I have a general question, and I'm not trying to pick on any individual poster here:

Why does it seem some posters are so interested in shutting threads down? Particularly when they themselves not been active participants in it for several days, or not at all? I see this all of the time in the trade forum. I find this to be a very odd cultural 'thing' on hfb.

I mean, if you've lost interest in a thread, don't read it anymore. Why hop in from the outside and push to shut down a thread in which other people are actively posting?

There are any number of threads that I don't read, as I'm simply not interested in the topic. But I don't hop into them and try to shut them down, as other people are interested. You know?

I was an active participant but without breaking any rules let's say, my posts are no longer here. The thread turned mainly into an argument and a few warnings have been tossed out by the mods and subsequently most discussion has stopped in here, probably for the better, which is why I said it should just be closed at this point. As I assume that's the post that brought on this post by you (I know you said at nobody in particular but..anyway)

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I was an active participant but without breaking any rules let's say, my posts are no longer here. The thread turned mainly into an argument and a few warnings have been tossed out by the mods and subsequently most discussion has stopped in here, probably for the better, which is why I said it should just be closed at this point. As I assume that's the post that brought on this post by you (I know you said at nobody in particular but..anyway)

It was, but nothing personal intended, Stranger. It was just the example at hand. But it's something I see on this board a lot, and wanted to comment on it. These threads tend to die on their own, without parental intervention. ;) At least the ones here in the Avs section do. The trade boards are a different beast.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

Why does it seem some posters are so interested in shutting threads down? Particularly when they themselves not been active participants in it for several days, or have not previously participated at all? I see this all of the time in the trade forum. I find this to be a very odd cultural 'thing' on hfb.

There are any number of threads that I don't read, as I'm simply not interested in the topic. But I don't hop into them and try to shut them down, as other people posting there are interested. You know?

Some threads the topics get beaten to death and all that's left it's circular bickering and pointless argument.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
It was, but nothing personal intended, Stranger. It was just the example at hand. But it's something I see on this board a lot, and wanted to comment on it. These threads tend to die on their own, without parental intervention. ;) At least the ones here in the Avs section do. The trade boards are a different beast.

ooh, if I didn't already have a title that I liked, I'd use this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad