Blue Jays Discussion: Split Against O's, Up Next, Yankees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Round 3 begins at 1pm here: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2014/watch-live/

At 9th Overall, the Toronto Blue Jays select RHP Jeff Hoffman!

Jeff_Hoffman_2012_action_ecu-sid_cropped-resized_500x373.jpg

With the 11th Overall Pick, the Blue Jays select Catcher Max Pentecost!

MaxPentecost2_medium.png

With the 49th Pick, the Toronto Blue Jays select RHP Sean Reid-Foley!

474304.jpg

With Pick 83, the Blue Jays select LHP Nick Wells!

nickwellsaction.jpg.jpeg

With the 114th Pick, the Toronto Blue Jays select catcher Matthew Morgan!

435645.jpg

With the 144th pick, The Toronto Blue Jays select; OF Lane Thomas

BeardenHVA03_t607.JPG

With the 174th Overall Pick, the Toronto Blue Jays select LHP Grayson Huffman

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Cobi Johnson is still on the board right? His father is a roving pitching instructor in the Jays organization and the kid knows how to pitch. Low 90s FB, huge breaking CB that grades out as a plus pitch, average change up, solid command, 6'4 170 frame.

Maybe get AJ Vanegas as an easy sign, can bring him up quickly as a reliever.

I have a few guys I wouldn't mind taking, but again it all depends on the price tag..because I don't care who we draft today getting all three of our first day picks signed is mandatory. But in saying that (Chris Oliver, Milton Ramos,) Ramos will be interesting because he could end up being a better player than Trea Turner. I'm so glad we didn't take Turner, there are short stops with at least if not more potential than Turner has. Ramos is being compared to Alcides Escobar. He's the best defensive shortstop in the draft and has plus speed.

So we want Milton Ramos or Cobi Johnson?

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
So we want Milton Ramos or Cobi Johnson?

No just some names to keep an eye on. Ramos was ranked to go mid-late 2nd round. If we're looking to add some solid defence and speed to our farm system Ramos is the guy. I have a feeling we're going to go with another college pitcher. Someone who could possibly join the big club this year in the BP as he develops

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Or AA can just say **** next draft and get another 1st round talent in Bukauskas/Cederoth/Weisenberg

Bukauskas is almost an impossible sign. He's committed to UNC and apparently teams are really worried about his signability. There's a reason why he hasn't been picked in the first 2 rounds. If we take him then we're going to lose out on somebody because it will be literally impossible to sign all 4. I think they go with a safer pick and gather some nice depth.

Isn't he the kid that sent a letter to every team asking not to be picked? There's no point in wasting a pick when it's clear as day that his intention is to go to school. He has serious potential but **** it, I rather go with someone safer and who will actually be a part of this organization.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
It was a pain to do it on the phone, but threads should be all fixed now.

Go Jays tonight! Apparently Jays have almost 50 more HR than Cardinals this season. Is that right? LOL

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Bukauskas is almost an impossible sign. He's committed to UNC and apparently teams are really worried about his signability. There's a reason why he hasn't been picked in the first 2 rounds. If we take him then we're going to lose out on somebody because it will be literally impossible to sign all 4. I think they go with a safer pick and gather some nice depth

Yeah and the DBacks picked three Vandy commits. I wouldn't doubt the Cubs target Bukauskas now but I really don't think he'd be as impossible to work with like Bickford.

And by saying **** next draft I was just referring to AA blowing money on high risk players in this draft and going over the bonus pool. Just me being silly.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
I think if they get Hoff and RF signed, it makes it MUCH easier to trade a sanchez at the deadline to add a starter for the playoffs.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Planning to go down and buy scalper tickets today. What do you guys think $20 can buy from a scalper if there is a good number for us (5+)? Or are we better off getting from stubhub?

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
It was a pain to do it on the phone, but threads should be all fixed now.

Go Jays tonight! Apparently Jays have almost 50 more HR than Cardinals this season. Is that right? LOL

If you want a real crazy stat. I believe Eric Kratz has as many home runs as the red sox outfield this season.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
It was the 25th anniversary of the Skydome in toronto (2 days ago). It's like an old dog you've had for years. It has some wrinkles, it may not be as fun to play with as you remember, and it's certainly lost some of it's cache. That said, it feels like an old friend every time I go to see a game. I look up into the sky and there stands at one point the tallest free-standing structure in the world. It's remarkable, both in an aesthetic sense and as an engineering feat. I like to look at the visiting players who come here for the first time. The NL teams like St.Louis in particular. Watching them gaze up at the CN Tower with awe brings back some fun memories created here as a child. It may be an old dog, but it's my old dog.

CN%20Tower%20%26%20Skydome.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Planning to go down and buy scalper tickets today. What do you guys think $20 can buy from a scalper if there is a good number for us (5+)? Or are we better off getting from stubhub?

why not just grab tickets from the box office. I'm sure it's not sold out. Put a little extra dough in the jays coffers.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Yeah and the DBacks picked three Vandy commits. I wouldn't doubt the Cubs target Bukauskas now but I really don't think he'd be as impossible to work with like Bickford.

And by saying **** next draft I was just referring to AA blowing money on high risk players in this draft and going over the bonus pool. Just me being silly.

It's not about just picking kids who have commitments. Every player has commitments, it's part of having leverage in negotiations. The difference with Bukauskas is that he's specifically asked not to be drafted. If the Jays were to take him they'd have to throw an insane amount at him and go way way overslot. I wouldn't even bother taking that risk. Waste of a pick. Like I said there's a reason why he's still available. He could've possibly been a first rounder if he hadn't sent out his intentions. The Cubs could take him, they saved some money with their safe picks early on. They could take a shot and throw a crap load of money at him. From the Jays standpoint for me personally I don't want anything to do with Bukauskas.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
does anyone have a list of the non drafted players? Just kind of the guys that slipped. I know some guys that are showing here but just show I can take a peak

Nevermind I found something but I can't copy and past it as it's way too long. I can't post a link if anyone wants it.

Last edited:

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It's not about just picking kids who have commitments. Every player has commitments, it's part of having leverage in negotiations. The difference with Bukauskas is that he's specifically asked not to be drafted. If the Jays were to take him they'd have to throw an insane amount at him and go way way overslot. I wouldn't even bother taking that risk. Waste of a pick.

You mean like Daniel Norris? Jays still signed him.

I think you completely missed my point yet again though. Like I even wrote it right at the bottom of the post you quoted.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
It's not about just picking kids who have commitments. Every player has commitments, it's part of having leverage in negotiations. The difference with Bukauskas is that he's specifically asked not to be drafted. If the Jays were to take him they'd have to throw an insane amount at him and go way way overslot. I wouldn't even bother taking that risk. Waste of a pick. Like I said there's a reason why he's still available. He could've possibly been a first rounder if he hadn't sent out his intentions. The Cubs could take him, they saved some money with their safe picks early on. They could take a shot and throw a crap load of money at him. From the Jays standpoint for me personally I don't want anything to do with Bukauskas.

I pretty much feel the same

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Honestly, I want to see AA make a trade for a starter sooner rather then later.

A lot of the depth on this team looks like gold because of the current hot streak and I personally think its better to inject a new player into the rotation when the bats are hot as they are in order to help cover for him settling in. Lets see what we get out of the draft, and move some prospects in order to get us another good starter and maybe some relief depth. Our fielding is great, but lets boost our pitching and coast into the playoffs with great morale.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
You mean like Daniel Norris? Jays still signed him.

I think you completely missed my point yet again though. Like I even wrote it right at the bottom of the post you quoted.

man you just like to argue don't you. Norris was drafted before the draft pool was put in place. Taking Bukauskas is pretty much punting your pick because unless you're giving this kid 3-4 million he's going to school. For a 3rd rounder, what is that? like 2-3 times more than slot value. It doesn't make sense to take him

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Hoffman could be a steal where they got him. I didn't realize he previously had Tommy John surgery. Assuming that doesn't turn into a chronic issue i like the pick.

Now shifting gears to the current Jays, here's the pitching match ups for the series against the Cards:

Tonight: Lynn (6-3, 3.48 ERA) VS Stroman (2-0, 7.40 ERA)

Tomorrow: Miller (6-5, 4.03 ERA) vs Buehrle (10-1, 2.10 ERA)

Sunday: Garcia (1-0, 5.47 ERA) vs Hutchinson (4-3, 3.50 ERA)

Lynn might prove to be tough, but i think they could easily sweep here too. Especially with the Rogers Centre being hitter friendly. Once again they draw the long straw and avoid Wainwright. Even better, they have the Twins in town after the Cards. That could be quite the fireworks display considering Target field seems to keep more balls in the park.

I'm excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad