SPHL game suspended after horrific injury

FloridaCat

Aug 12, 2014
Pensacola, Florida.
Justin Cseter was treated and released from the hospital. The skate blade got up under the hockey pants and cut the inner thigh. Took the team bus back to Huntsville. :handclap:

CJNewman

Feb 1, 2014
I don't know if anyone has ever been to a game where a guy was severely injured like that, but it's incredibly scary. I was at the game where the Falcons were playing the Phantoms and Brandon Manning boarded Wade McLeod and he started having a seizure on the ice. I really thought he might die. Turned out in case you didn't know McLeod had a brain tumor and the hit was the reason they discovered the tumor.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
In my lifetime I've seen 2 injuries just as gruesome, if not more so: Clint Malarchuk getting his throat sliced by a skate years ago at the Aud-and years later Richard Zednik of the Panthers suffering the same injury in the same way, but at a teammate's hands. I will never forget-in the former case-Sabres analyst Mike Robitaille begging the crew to get the cameras off the site of the accident.

This was just as bad.

Gibbie42

Aug 5, 2011
Evansville, IN
I don't know if anyone has ever been to a game where a guy was severely injured like that, but it's incredibly scary. I was at the game where the Falcons were playing the Phantoms and Brandon Manning boarded Wade McLeod and he started having a seizure on the ice. I really thought he might die. Turned out in case you didn't know McLeod had a brain tumor and the hit was the reason they discovered the tumor.

Macleod is now back playing with Idaho in the ECHL. He played for Evansville briefly on a send down. He was phenomenal. Very scary what happened to him.

Evansville IceMen Assistant coach (and former player) Josh Beaulieu had an incident two years ago in Florida. Fighting for the puck in the corner, slipped and went down and an Everblade player stepped on his wrist, caught him right under the glove, sliced all the way through the tendons. They stopped the bleeding at the arena (he actually skated off the ice under his own steam immediately after it happened) got him to the hospital where they stitched him up enough to stop the bleeding and put him on a plane to Evansville the next morning and straight into a six hour surgery to repair the damage. That was in February and the next October he was back on the ice playing. Remarkable work and recovery.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Thanksgiving Eve 1999 in Providence, I saw Aaron Downey get his leg punctured by a teammate's (Jonathan Aitken) broken stick. There was a lot of blood and the game was stopped for awhile while the ambulance backed out the zamboni entrance to get him. Bruins ended up getting smoked and it put a real damper on the game. It was the first game I ever left early. Downey was out a couple months.

IrascibleOne

Sep 14, 2005
Anchorage, AK
Evansville IceMen Assistant coach (and former player) Josh Beaulieu had an incident two years ago in Florida. Fighting for the puck in the corner, slipped and went down and an Everblade player stepped on his wrist, caught him right under the glove, sliced all the way through the tendons. They stopped the bleeding at the arena (he actually skated off the ice under his own steam immediately after it happened) got him to the hospital where they stitched him up enough to stop the bleeding and put him on a plane to Evansville the next morning and straight into a six hour surgery to repair the damage. That was in February and the next October he was back on the ice playing. Remarkable work and recovery.

We saw something similar years ago when Alaska played visiting Pheonix. David Pszenyczny, who played for the RoadRunners, battled Vladimir Novak for the puck in a corner. Pszenyczny fell down, and Novak inadvertently stepped on his wrist when pushing off. Pszenyczny instantly dropped his gloves, grabbed his wrist, and bolted for the door leading to the locker rooms... blood squirting from between his fingers.

He recovered fully, and actually signed with the Aces one or two seasons later. In his first game back on Sullivan Arena ice, this time for the home team, he got cut again. He dove into a pile during a little donnybrook and punched somebody's skate blade... 13 more stitches. The guy was just cursed at that rink.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
I was at the Hamilton Bulldogs game where Blake Geoffrion got hit and sustained a skull fracture due to landing on his face that led to his retirement. It was a huge hit but I had no idea at the time that it would be career ending for the kid...

JackalsKnuckles

Jun 18, 2007
Not a life-threatening injury, but I was at the game in Elmira when Mario Larocque stepped on Zack Torquato's gloved hand and sliced his finger off. Torquato was standing near the visitors entry door in the glass holding his arm and yelling "my finger is off". A couple minutes later the trainer comes back onto the ice and grabs the finger that was laying on the ice with a towel and takes it back to the dressing room. I think Torquato only ended up missing about 20 games and continued playing, seeing some AHL time after that.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Not a life-threatening injury, but I was at the game in Elmira when Mario Larocque stepped on Zack Torquato's gloved hand and sliced his finger off. Torquato was standing near the visitors entry door in the glass holding his arm and yelling "my finger is off". A couple minutes later the trainer comes back onto the ice and grabs the finger that was laying on the ice with a towel and takes it back to the dressing room. I think Torquato only ended up missing about 20 games and continued playing, seeing some AHL time after that.

I remember that. Bizarre considering Larocque was so lazy. I think Torquato was able to have his finger put back on basically normal. He was really fortunate in the end result.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad