spfan's 2019 NHL Mock Draft - With Analysis

spfan

May 4, 2009
These are not predictions. This is how I would pick if I were the GM of each team.

1. New Jersey Devils - C Jack Hughes 5'10" 170lbs

USDP 50 GP 34G 78A 112pts
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Jack Hughes has been the #1 guy from the start. Nothing changes here. Hughes and Hischier would give NJ a great 1-2 punch down the middle. The Devils have really emphasized speed, so I think Hughes fits perfectly. He's a great skater, very dynamic and can make plays at top speed. There's concerns over size, but previous players have shown that it's not that big of a deal anymore and Hughes isn't too terribly small. He's very shifty, so he's good at avoiding contact. His defensive game will be a work in progress and he'll need to get stronger, but his skating and overall offensive package will make him a great player. His shot isn't great, but it's not weak either. So if he can work on that more as well, he'll be a truly elite offensive threat. Despite his size, he'll be in the NHL next year.

Comparisons: Patrick Kane, Mathew Barzal

2. New York Rangers - RW Kaapo Kakko
6'2" 194lbs

The NYR have the easiest pick in the draft. Kakko lived up to exceeded all expectations. He broke the u-18 goal record in Liiga.
He proved even further at the World Championships, that he can play with top NHL players. Kakko is maybe the most NHL ready, due his size, talent and experience against men already. He's pretty much the perfect package. He contributes in the defensive zone, uses his size to protect pucks and he'll only get stronger. His shot is very good and he can make plays too. His skating isn't elite, but it's good. I don't see his ceiling being as high as Hughes, but he's a can't miss prospect. Rangers have young Centers already in Zibanejad, Chytil and Andersson, so adding a big scoring winger would be a great addition to really fast forward their rebuild.

Comparisons: Mikko Rantanen, Marian Hossa

Liiga 45GP 22G 16A 38pts

3. Chicago Blackhawks - D Bowen Byram
6'1" 195lbs

WHL 67GP 26G 45A 71pts

This is where the draft becomes more unpredictable. Chicago have drafted d-men lately and don't really lack in their prospect pool for d-men, but Byram is too good to pass up. He's the only d-man in this draft that I believe can be a #1 d-man. Like Kakko, Byram has the entire package too. He may lack in not really be elite in any category, but he's good at everything. Hes got solid size to him and he doesn't mind playing physical, but he uses his stick and smarts more. He skates very well, but isn't elite at it. He's probably not going to be a 70+ point d-man as he's not extremely dynamic, but a very effective player in the offensive zone. His shot is quite good. He'll be able to quarterback your PP though. He'll be able to play on your top PK unit as well and just be an all around minute eater. Very reliable defender. He lead the WHL in points during the playoffs and nearly lead his team to a championship. He could quite possibly step in the NHL next year, but might want to wait a year. I believe he'll be NHL ready in a year at least though.

Comparisons: Mark Giordano, Morgan Rielly

Alternate pick: Alex Turcotte

4. Colorado Avalanche - C Alex Turcotte 5'11" 186lbs

USDP 37GP 27G 35A 62pts

BPA and needs align here perfectly. Colorado has arguably the best line in the league, but their secondary scoring struggles. They got this pick from the Duchene trade and replacing Duchene here with a pretty similar player would be fitting. Turcotte is a great two-way player. He's pretty much a cant-miss prospect as well. His upside is quite as well. He's a very good skater and he shoots and passes very well. He'll be able to anchor that 2nd line and really push Colorado into cup contenders down the road.
He's not very tall, but he's already pretty filled out already. I don't think he'll be NHL ready right away, but he'll probably only need 1 year of college and then should be good to go.

Comparisons: Matt Duchene, Dylan Larkin
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
5. LA Kings - C Dylan Cozens 6'3" 183lbs

WHL 68GP 34G 50A 84pts

After that top 4, I think this is where the draft gets even more wide open. LA is in rebuild mode and have been trying to add more speed to a big, slow team. With Cozens, you're getting the size and the speed. There's some questions about his IQ and decision making and if he'll have to be a RW in the NHL, but he's got a lot of great tools that you can't really brush off.
He's got a big frame and while he's fairly skinny still, his frame will allow him to pack on more muscle than others. He's 1 of the most powerful skaters in the draft, his shot is 1 of the best as well. His playmaking could be worked on, which is why some of the concerns come for him being a Center. However, his defensive game is pretty strong. Vilardi's health is a concern for LA, so Cozens could be the replacement in LA's prospect pool if things don't get better for Vilardi.
He's probably 2 years away from the NHL, but his size, speed and shot could get him there faster.

Comparisons: Jeff Carter, Eric Staal

Alternate picks: Kirby Dach, Trevor Zegras
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
6. Detroit Red Wings - RW Vasili Podkolzin 6'1" 196lbs

MHL 12GP 6G 2A 8pts

Yzerman is the Detroit GM now and he was never afraid to take a Russian when he was Tampa's GM. So this pick would make a lot of sense. Podkolzin has been 1 of the most polarizing players. He was the consenus #3 pick for a while, but then a lot of people started to sour on him after the U-18's. I think a few players did surpass him, but I believe people were really overlooking Podkolzin and putting too much emphasis on 1 tournament. And he did end up having a big final game in that tournament still.
Russian factor will always exist, but is his 2 year KHL contract really that big of a deal? Outside of the top 4, I think these other players on the same talent level are also at least 2 years away as well. And Detroit won't be competing any time soon, so 2 years isn't a big deal at all. Podkolzin has size and he's a no-quit player. He's a very good two-way player and he works hard in all 3 zones. There's some questions about his upside, but I believe he'll at least be a solid player. His skating isn't elite. He could work on his creativity as well. But the fundamentals are there. He'll be able to play on your PK and PP. He's a very hard working player, but he still has skills. His puck protection is good and his shot is pretty good as well. He's the type of player that wins you games even if he doesn't rack up the points.

Comparisons: TJ Oshie, Gabriel Landeskog

Alternate picks: Kirby Dach, Trevor Zegras
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
7. Buffalo Sabres - C Kirby Dach 6'4" 198lbs

WHL 62GP 25G 48A 73pts

A year ago, Buffalo's defense looked quite weak, but it's pretty strong now after drafting Dahlin, Samuelsson and trading for Montour.
Their other big weakness has been secondary scoring. Mittelstadt is a very good prosect and very young still, but I'm not sure he's fit to be a Center. If he moves to LW, I think that would make more sense. Dach is your prototypical center. He's huge already and only going to get bigger. He does lack in skating though. While not bad, it's pretty average. His shot is improving, but not very good. He's an elite playmaker though. Maybe the best outside of Hughes in this draft. He'll be able to anchor that 2nd line for the Sabres and maybe be a perfect combo with Alex Nylander. Dach's defensive game could be better, but it's solid. 1 of the highest upsides of all the prospects in this draft. I think he'll need 2 years before being in the NHL, especially to improve his speed, but he looks like he could be a great 2C behind Eichel.

Comparisons: Ryan Johansen, Joe Thornton

Alternate picsk: Matthew Boldy, Trevor Zegras

8. Edmonton Oilers - LW Matthew Boldy 6'2" 196lbs

USDP 64GP 33G 48A 81pts

Boldy was the perfect complimentary winger to Hughes a lot of this year and he could be that missing part on Edmonton too. He would look very good next to McDavid, Draisaitl or even RNH depending on how their lines look going forward. He's not the elite shooter or passer like some of these other players, but he does everything well. He's got good hands and a good shot and underrated playmaking. Another type of player that can really help you win games, even if the points don't always come. He can be used on your PK as well. His skating is pretty good and he's got size already. Definitely isn't too far away from NHL ready, but I think he'll need at least 1 year, if not 2, but should become a really good player and help balance out the Oilers more.

Comparisons: Filip Forsberg, Mark Stone

Alternate picks: Trevor Zegras, Peyton Krebs

9. Anaheim Ducks - C/LW Trevor Zegras 6'0" 173lbs

USDP 60GP 26G 61A 87pts

Similar to LA, Anaheim have become old and too slow for the new NHL. They might not need a full rebuild, but some re-tooling. There is some questions on whether Zegras can be a Center in the NHL or if he'll be better off at wing, but either way, he's got top 6 upside and probable 1st line upside. He's 1 of the most dynamic players in this draft. Pretty similar to Hughes, but not quite that level. He does have a pretty good two-way game. His hands and playmaking are elite. He's a very good skater too. His shot will need to improve though. He's pretty thin right now, but his frame will allow him to get quite a bit bigger and stronger. With his size, I think he'll need 2 years before being NHL ready, but his upside is very high.

Comparisons: Claude Giroux, Jonathan Huberdeau

Alternate picks: Peyton Krebs, Alex Newhook
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
10. Vancouver Canucks - C/LW Peyton Krebs 5'11" 183lbs

WHL 64GP 19G 49A 68pts

Similar to Boldy to EDM, Krebs could be a great complimentary player to Pettersson or Horvat and really round out their top 6 more. There's a lot to like about Krebs, kinda similarly to Podkolzin. He's a very hard worker. Contributes to your PK and can still provide offense as well. He does have qualities that centers have, but especially going to the Canucks, he might be better suited at LW. But that's fine with Krebs as he's very versatile. His stats are underwhelming, but he was on a terrible team, so it was hard to put up a lot of points with the linemates he had. But he made the best of the situation. He's not terribly small, but there's a bit of a concern there. Will his game work as well against men and NHL pros? There's also concern of his offensive upside. Being on the smaller side, his skating isn't particularly good, but not bad either. His shot could be better as well, but he displays pretty good playmaking. He reminds me a lot of Sam Bennett and he hasn't exactly turned out as good as I thought, so I wonder if this situations ends up simarly. Bennett is a fine player, but he didn't end up being an elite player as I thought he would. Regardless, Krebs's overall should make him a long time NHL player, even if he doesn't become a great player. He'll need a couple of years before being NHL ready, but his hard work should get him there in the not too distant future.

Comparisons: Sam Bennett, Brayden Schenn

Alternate picks: Victor Soderstrom, Cole Caufield
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
11. Philadelphia Flyers - D Victor Soderstrom 6'0" 182lbs

SHL 44GP 4G 3A 7pts

For me, this is where the consensus kind of falls off a lot more and the draft becomes that much more wide open. Philly have maybe the best prospect pool in the league and their pro roster is quite young too. So there's not much needs, but if there's 1 thing, it's a RHD. They found their goalie, they got a lot of young forwards, even a lot of LHD, but lack in RHD. Which has become a pretty coveted thing in the NHL. Soderstrom measured in the combine as a bit bigger than people thought, so he's really not a small d-man, just not a big one. While he does lack high offensive upside, that's okay when they have players like Ghost and Sanheim already and Provorov of course being their #1 d-man already. Soderstrom could be a really good partner for Ghost or Sanheim. He's not overly dynamic, but he's a good skater and can provide some offense. His defensive game is quite impressive though, which is something Philly really could use. Soderstrom already has the experience against men and just plays a really solid game. He's 1 of the most safe picks in the draft. And with the prospect pool Philly have, I don't see it as a bad thing.
He'll need to add some muscle still, but he's not too far from being NHL ready.

Comparisons: Ryan Ellis, Sami Vatanen

Alternate picks: Cole Caufield, Alex Newhook

12. Minnesota Wild - C/LW Alex Newhook 5'10" 192lbs

BCHL 53GP 38 64A 102pts

Minnesota has a bit of an aging group too. Might not need a full rebuild, but some re-tooling. Staal and Koivu are quite old, so this would really fit. There is question if Newhook would be better off at wing in the NHL, but he'd at least get the opportunity on the Wild. Newhook is one of the best skaters in the draft. He's quite dynamic. He's a good playmaker, but shoots well too. There isn't really any big weakness with him, just more the question of the league he was playing in. Tyson Jost also came from the BCHL, and has had some struggles in the NHL, but Newhook isn't that similar of player. Newhook's defensive game isn't bad, but could be improved on. He'll be in college next year, so that will give a better idea of his play against tougher competition. He did improve his stock at the U-18's. He's probably a few years away from the NHL, but the Wild won't be in a rush.

Comparisons: Matt Duchene, Jonathan Huberdeau

Alternate picks: Cole Caufield, Raphael Lavoie

13. Florida Panthers - D Ville Heinola 5'11" 178lbs

Liiga 34GP 2G 12A 14pts

Some might see this as a bit of a reach, but I think Heinola is a very solid player. Florida are stacked with forward prospects and their pro rostser forwards are young too. So there is a need, but I do believe Heinola has the value to go this high too. Florida's problems have not been offense at all, but it's the defense as a whole. Some might suggest a goalie here, but I think it's a bit too risky at this point. And you still need a defense in front of the goalie. Heinola is a very solid two-way player. He skates well and he's able to contribute in all 3 zones and to your PP and PK. He's got the experience against men already and he's proved to be a capable player there already. He's on the smaller side, but I don't think it's too big of deal. He'll be a few years away, but might surprise and be there a bit sooner than expected. Doesn't hurt that Florida have a few Finnish players already too.

Comparisons: Jonas Brodin, Michael Matheson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Alternate picks: Spencer Knight, Cam York

14. Arizona Coyotes - RW Cole Caufield 5'7" 163lbs

64GP 72G 28A 100pts

Others are higher on Caufield, but I think the U-18's swayed too many people. We knew about his goal scoring all year. So I believe there's been a bit too much emphasis on the U-18's in general. At this point, he's for sure worth the gamble and fits the needs for the Coyotes. Keller, Schmaltz could be very good linemates for him. As I do believe he needs good playmakers around him to help him succeed. Not saying he only looked good next to Hughes, but he definitely had some benefit too. Size is obviously a concern. And while the NHL is getting more away from size, Caufield is exceptionally small, not just a tad undersized. And despite his size, his skating isn't overly impressive. His playmaking abilities are merely average too. So he's a bit one-dimensional. That one dimension of course is his elite goal scoring ability. Also due to his size, it's going to hurt his ability to battle in the corners and not get knocked off the puck. He hasn't shown to be afraid of battling, but his size will limit his success rate. He'll need to put on more muscle of course and continue to improve his skating. If all goes well, he could be elite, but a lot of "ifs" here. I think he'll need a few years before he can make the NHL.

Comparisons: Alex Debrincat, Brian Gionta

Alternate picks: Raphael Lavoie, Arthur Kaliyev

15. Montreal Canadiens - D Cam York 5'11" 172lbs

USDP 63GP 14G 51A 65pts

Habs have fixed their Center and overall forward problems pretty quickly. Domi looked very good, Suzuki looks like a pretty promising prospect and add in Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Danault, Gallagher, Drouin and your forward core looks good for the future. Their defense doesn't look quite as impressive though. York is the defender that was passing it to all these elite American forwards in Hughes, Zegras, Boldy and Caufield. So while, he was on a stacked team, he looked like he belonged. York's more of an offensive d-man, but his defensive game isn't bad either. Size is a bit concerning. Not very tall and quite thin, so he'll need to bulk up and that will take him a few years before being NHL ready. He's a good skater, but not elite and he's probably not going to be the next Karlsson, but he'll be a good one still. He makes good decisions consistently and his passing and shot are both pretty good. Might not be a top pairing d-man, but I can see him being a top 4 d-man at least.

Comparisons: Cam Fowler, Torey Krug

Alternate picks: Philip Broberg, Thomas Harley

16. Colorado Avalanche - D Philip Broberg 6'3" 200lbs

Allsvenskan 41GP 2G 7A 9pts

Colorado can pretty much solidify their defense for a long time with this pick and after their first pick, the team as a whole could be truly great soon as well.
Another polarizing player. Some have him lower, some absolutely love him. I like some of the other defenders more as I see less risk with them, while still having upside. Broberg does have high upside, but definitely some questions. His skating is elite, so he has that above every other d-man. He does use his skating to provide offense, but he's still lacking in the overall offensive game still. Size will of course help him, but he doesn't really use his size to his advantage either. His raw tools are intriguing enough to get selected here though. Probably 1 of the more boom or bust players in the draft. His defensive game overall needs work for sure. His decision making and IQ are in question too. He'll need a few years to hopefully put it all together. Could be looking at a top pairing or even top 4 d-man one day though.

Alternate picks: Spencer Knight, Thomas Harley

Comparisons: Jake Gardiner, Rasmus Ristolainen
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
17. Vegas Golden Knights - RW Raphael Lavoie 6'4" 199lbs

QMJHL 62GP 32G 41A 73pts

I'm probably a bit higher on Lavoie than others, but needs and overall depth push him down a bit still. Vegas doesn't have any glaring needs, but could use a young forward as some of their core is on the older side. And this would help ease the pain of losing Suzuki from their prospect pool. Lavoie is 1 of the oldest players in the draft, so that does hurt him a bit and his season was underwhelming, but when things really mattered, he was a goal scoring machine in the playoffs. So his stock went down, but then back up. He had a solid memorial cup tournament as well and came close to winning a QMHJL championship and Memorical Cup in 1 year. There's a bit of concern with his defensive play and effort sometimes and maybe consistency issues, but he's definitely got the upside. He did play Center at one point, but is very much a winger and will be in the NHL, so defense won't be as important, but I don't think he's bad by any means either. He could become a better playmaker, but he's 1 of the best shooters in the draft. His skating isn't great, but it's fine, especially for being a big guy already. Size and shot should help him become a top 6 forward in the NHL and could get him there a bit faster, but he'll need a couple of years still.

Comparisons: Anthony Mantha, James Neal

Alternate picks: Arthur Kaliyev, Thomas Harley

18. Dallas Stars - LW/RW Arthur Kaliyev 6'2" 194lbs

OHL 67GP 51G 51A 102pts

Pretty similar to Lavoie and even Caufield, for the fact that there's no question really about his goal scoring and offensive abilities, but his effectiveness away from the puck. Another polarizing players as well. Very much a boom or bust player. Dallas needs secondary scoring. Their defense looks really improved already just by adding Heiskanen and they were a top defensive team this year, so while Kaliyev might not fit the system, he would add a dynamic they don't have much of. If he plays next to Benn and Seguin, he won't have to carry his line, but he can be that complimentary piece. Similar to Lavoie, his defense and effort are in question, but more in question with Kaliyev, which is why i like Lavoie a bit more. But Kaliyev's offensive game is even more impressive too. Despite Lavoie's underwhelming regular season, Kaliyev lit the score sheets up. So can you have a 51 goal scorer drop any further than this? It's hard to argue the productiveness Kaliyev has brought and he did it without great linemates either. Might be the 2nd best goal scorer in this draft and his passing has improved too. His size will help him though, so that's something he has over Caufield. He's a few years away from the NHL. He needs to work on the other parts of his game and definitely work on his skating.

Comparisons: Thomas Vanek, Brock Boeser

Alternate picks: Thomas Harley, Ryan Suzuki

19. Ottawa Senators - D Moritz Seider 6'3" 208lbs
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
DEL 29GP 2G 4A 6pts
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
A player that has saw his stock rise quite a bit. Ottawa have gone downhill fast and pretty much need anything. Their center depth looks decent though with White, Brown, Pageau, Tierney. Their defense looks in worse shape. Chabot is already looking great and they have Brannstrom coming. Ceci is still a solid player. But they could round out their top 4 here with Seider. Seider is kind of the full package, but he is raw and a bit more unknown having played in the top German league. So he does have experience against men, but it's not exactly the KHL, SHL or Liiga either. But he did impress still. And what made his stock really rise was being in the World Championship and looking like he belongs with other NHL players. He obviously has the size too, so he's probably a pretty safe pick while having pretty high upside as well. But can he put all together? His skating is quite good for his size, doesn't mind physical play and his offensive game is solid. His skating, reach and size makes him tough to beat in the defensive zone as well.
He has the tools and experience against men already, so maybe he finds himself in the NHL sooner than expected, but might need a few years to develop and maximize his full potential.

Comparisons: Charlie McAvoy, Jeff Petry

Alternate picks: Thomas Harley, Bobby Brink
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
20. Winnipeg Jets - D Thomas Harley 6'3" 193lbs

OHL 68GP 11G 47A 58pts

With the loss of Trouba, that creates a pretty big hole in the Jets defense, so they look to replenish their d-core. Harley saw his stock improve a lot from last year and that's always good to see young players take big steps. Harley has the size and skating and his overall offensive game has really come together. His shot is quite good and he can be your PP quarterback. The questions are more on his defensive play. While he's not bad, but he's not really looked to be someone that can be your #1 all situations d-man. He'll need to work on his decision making sometimes and fill out his frame even more to make him harder to play against. Probably a player that needs 2 more years in the OHL and then a year or 2 in the AHL to really learn the pro game. Looks like a future top 4 d-man though.

Comparisons: Cam Fowler, Zach Werenski

Alternate picks: Ryan Suzuki, Philip Tomasino
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
21. Pittsburgh Penguins - RW Bobby Brink 5'8" 165lbs

USHL 43GP 35G 33A 68pts

The Penguins could use a d-man, but none of the ones above fall here and I don't see anyone quite worth it here and I believe Brink is certainly a good prospect, so this is the BPA and the Penguins are an aging team, so Brink could look to replace Kessel/Hornqvist in the future and could be the new sniper for Crosby or Malkin. Sprong didn't quite work out, so Brink could be the new hope for a young sniper. Quite similar to Caufield, a small American sniper. However, he does have a better defensive game and could be used on the PK too. Might have better playmaking ability too as he's not as locked in to always be the shooter.
But like Caufield, size will hurt his ability be as effective. His skating has been called into question as well, so that's something he'll really need to improve as a small forward to make him more successful. He'll be a few years away from the NHL, but the upside is worth the wait.

Comparisons: Cam Atkinson, Kyle Palmieri

Alternate picks: Ryan Suzuki, Philip Tomasino

22. LA Kings - C Ryan Suzuki
6'0" 180lbs

OHL 65GP 25 50A 75pts

A lot of players saw their stock rise, but Suzuki was one who had his stock fall some. But his upside and solid two-way play make him valuable still. There are some people that still like him enough to go in the first half of the draft, but I'm not as big on him. I don't think he's as good as his brother. But he does have better skating than Nick. LA don't exactly need more Centers, but they can convert some to wing or if 1 or 2 don't work out, they'll have more in stock. But they continue to add more skill and speed. Suzuki had a hot start to the season, but cooled off fast. Suzuki isn't big, but he's not small at all either. He's a good skater and he's 1 of the better playmakers of the draft. His defensive game is pretty solid as well. He might be a bit more of a confusing player though. Is he a 2C 3C, maybe even better suited for the wing? His offensive skills are too hard to pass up at this spot though. He'll need some development time for sure. 3-4 years away, but LA are in no rush,

Comparisons: Nick Schmaltz, David Krejci

Alternate picks: Philip Tomasino, Spencer Knight

23. New York Islanders - C Philip Tomasino 6'0" 183lbs

OHL 67GP 34G 38A 72pts

NYI had an unexpected season, but had a disappointing end. Their center situation definitely doesn't look quite as good as it did a year ago, but this might be a better rounded team than they've had in years. Tomasino would add to that needed Center depth. He could have upside to be a 2C, but with Nelson locked up and of course Barzal as the face of the team now, Tomasino could settle in as a 3C and he plays the type of game that's perfectly suited for that. He's really built for the new NHL as well. He's a buzzsaw type of player. He's a very good skater, good two-way player. Can do everything you want and need. He's a pretty good goal scorer as well. He won't be a big time point producer, but they won't need him to be and the style the NYI play now, he's suited for it very well. He'll need to add a bit of weight still, but not small by any means. Might not be too long before he could step in, but a couple of years still.

Comparisons: Phillip Danault, Jared McCann

Alternate picks: Connor McMichael, Jakob Pelletier

24. Nashville Predators - C Connor McMichael 5'11" 182lbs

OHL 67GP 36G 36A 72pts

Nashville has been a strong defensive team for a long time now and they've been a good team for a while, but haven't been able to win it all yet. They lack a little bit down the middle and with their defensive structure, it does stop them from scoring as much. And still lacking really big difference makers on offense. Now, McMichael isn't going to be that, but he'll add to your offense still. He's a bit on the smaller side, but not a huge deal. He does bring good two-way play that the Predators covet still, so he'll fit in well. He also brings very good skating and he's a pretty good goal scorer. He's coming from the London Knights who have a great track record, so that doesn't hurt either. Could really explode next year too with a bigger role. While some players lack consistency, McMichael is the opposite. He pretty much never has an off night. Hell just never be a player that's taking over games. He's not overly flashy, but is effective. He'll probably be 3-4 years away from the NHL.

Comparisons: Mikael Backlund, Vincent Trocheck

Alternate picks: Spencer Knight, Jakob Pelletier

25. Washington Capitals - LW/RW Pavel Dorofeyev 6'0" 176lbs

MHL 19GP 17G 14A 31pts

Might be a little more talented than some others above, but Russian factor drops him just a bit and the Capitals are another team that have never been scared from taking a Russian, so he'd fit right in. Capitals have been aging some and the success has lead to lower picks and cap issues, so they could use more youth in their lineup. They don't really have a glaring weakness anywhere. They could maybe use a d-man a bit more, but this just fits their system well. Dorofeyev is more your prototypical Russian, unlike Podkolzin. Dorofeyev is a skilled winger. He's equally good at making plays and finishing them. His skating is fine, but not exceptional. His production was quite impressive in the MHL, but a bigger test will be as he moves to the KHL and further up after that. He did weigh in a bit heavier than first expected, so he's not too small, but he'll need to continue to get bigger and stronger. He could also stand to improve his play away from the puck. He'll be a few years away from the NHL, but his upside is pretty high.

Comparisons: Teuvo Teravainen, Gustav Nyquist

Alternate picks: Tobias Bjornfot, Jakob Pelletier
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
26. Calgary Flames - G Spencer Knight 6'3" 193lbs

USDP 33GP 2.36GAA .913SV%

Is there a more perfect fit? Rittich came out of knowhere and looked good for a little while, but then slowed down. Smith is old and whether he's returning or not, it's only short term. While goaltending isn't what sunk the Flames in the playoffs at all, it's something they haven't had for years. Calgary has a pretty solid forward core and the defense looks good and for the future. Knight is a big wild card of the draft. Some will be too scared to take him in the 1st round, some have at 13th. Goalies are more unpredictable, but I think this is a safe spot and Calgary not having glaring needs elsewhere. Knight was another of the long list of Americans on that stacked team. While his stats aren't mind-blowing and maybe he was a product of his team, but not many would buy that. He looks to have NHL starting potential and maybe in 10 years, he ends up being one of the most valuable players of the entire draft. Knight has the size and all the technical abilities. He brings a winning attitude.

Comparisons: John Gibson, Jonathan Quick

Alternate picks: Jakob Pelletier, Nils Hoglander

27. Tampa Bay Lightning - D Tobias Bjornfot 6'0" 193lbs

SuperElit 39GP 11G 11A 22pts

Tampa had a very disappointing playoff performance, so they look to get someone who can help them finally win a Stanley Cup again. They've really built a good forward core. And it's young still. The defense isn't in bad shape at all either, but could be improved still. Bjornfot is similar to Soderstrom. He's not the flashiest, but he gets the job done. He's not gonna be a big point producer or your top pairing guy, but he can really solidify your defense. He's a pretty good shutdown d-man, with a little bit of offense to give still. While he's not the biggest, he's quite solidly built already. Solid skater and a smart defender. He's not flashy, but he's gonna help you win games. You can depend on him at even strength and he can be a good PKer as well. With Hedman, Sergachev, you won't need him to be the big offensive guy either. He'll be a few years away from the NHL.

Comparisons: Niklas Hjalmarsson, Anton Stralman

Alternate picks: Matthew Robertson, Samuel Poulin

28. Carolina Hurricanes - LW Jakob Pelletier
5'9" 165lbs

QMJHL 65GP 39G 50A 89pts

Carolina have really built a good defensive core and play a structured defensive system and Pelletier fits right in. He does have some pretty good offensive skills too and he'll add to the needed scoring depth. Size will be of concern, so he'll definitely need to added bulk and get stronger to be effective against NHL pros. But despite his size, he's very hard working and plays bigger than he is. He's a pretty versatile forward as well, being able to play wing or center, but I think he settles in as a winger. And the Canes have their Center situation pretty figured out already. Pelletier is a speedy player and brings solid playmaking and the willingness to score the dirty goals too. Some like him more, some less, but I think he'd be a solid addition. He'll need a few years before being NHL ready, but mostly to get stronger.

Comparisons: Connor Brown, Artturi Lehkonen

Alternate picks: Nils Hoglander, Samuel Poulin
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
29. Anaheim Ducks - LW Nils Hoglander 5'9" 188lbs

SHL 50GP 7G 7A 14pts

A player quite similar to Pelletier, could really go in either order, but the Canes have liked the QMJHL. And the Ducks have liked their Swedes. Hoglander does have some things over Pelletier though. He's the same height, but much more filled out and was a real stand out at the combine as well. Hoglander also played against men already and put up solid numbers. Anaheim continue to add more youth and speed. So this really could be a good start to rebuilding or re-tooling their teams foundation. Hoglander has good puck skills and he's a speedy player as well. He's a very hard worker as well and doesn't back down from bigger players despite eing smaller than many. Again, some are higher or lower on this player and I almost want this player higher, but maybe that speaks to the depth of the draft. He's going to help you win games, whether it's scoring a goal or killing a penalty. He might not be as far away from the NHL as others around this range due to his skills and playing against men already. Might not have the biggest upside, but that's fine with everything he brings as a package.

Comparisons: Jakob Silfverberg, Brendan Gallagher

Alternate picks: Samuel Poulin, Matthew Robertson

30. Boston Bruins - LW Samuel Poulin 6'1" 212lbs

QMJHL 67GP 29G 47A 76pts
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The Bruins fell just short of winning another Stanley Cup, so they look to add a player to push them over the edge. Poulin had a pretty productive season and had an even strong playoff performance, so the Bruins will like that. Poulin fits right into the team. He's already a pretty big player, so that's going to give him a bit of an advantage. His playmaking is pretty solid and he'll play physical and score goals in tight. He's not the most skilled player, but he looks like a pretty safe bet to be a bottom 6 player at least. And most likely a middle 6 winger. He skates well for his size as well. Just a real solid player. He'll need a few years to develop his offensive game more, but isn't too far away from NHL ready.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Comparisons: Justin Abdelkader, Charlie Coyle

Alternate picks: John Beecher, Matthew Robertson

31. Buffalo Sabres - C John Beecher
6'3" 212lbs

USDP 63GP 15G 28A 43pts

Buffalo continue to strengthen their center depth. They've really strengthened their skill the last few years and now they can round out their team more and get a type of player that helps you win games. Beecher is the last of that stacked American team to go in round 1. Beecher's production doesn't look impressive, but he was also lower on the depth chart behind some incredible players, so with a bigger role, he could really show he has more to give offensively. Beecher is already very big and despite his size, he's incredibly fast too, which is somewhat rare and you can't pass on that combo. Defensively, he's quite good and would be a very ideal 3C for Buffalo behind Eichel and potentially Dach too.

Comparisons: Brandon Sutter, Lars Eller

Alternate picks: Egor Afanasayev, Matthew Robertson

Last edited:

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
Not sure the Hawks take a D man but other than that it looks like a good mock draft...

We'll see tomorrow night how many you were right on.

spfan

May 4, 2009
Not sure the Hawks take a D man but other than that it looks like a good mock draft...

We'll see tomorrow night how many you were right on.

Just want to reiterate though. I'm projecting the players long term. I'm not predicting where they will go. But rather where I think they should go.

I definitely get that Chicago have a pretty good prospect pool of d-men. Boqvist and Jokiharju especially. Though Byram can be their new Duncan Keith at LD. I think Byram has separated himself to be the 3rd best player as well.
If it were a prediction, I think it's 50/50 on Byram or Turcotte to Chicago. Toews isn't going anywhere for a while still though and Strome has been excellent for them, so I think a top Center is even less of a need than a top LD specifically.

Reactions: Gjman2019

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
Would be cool to see Dach drop to the Sabers too....

Just had a hunch all along Cozens would end up in Chicago based on his qualities i read about...

I'll drop by again in this thread tomorrow night sometime....

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I can’t speak of the other teams, but based on the picks taken before us, if I’m Vegas GM I take Spencer Knight and not just for the name. We have Flower, but there isn’t anyone I have confidence in, in our goalie pipeline as a backup let alone starter. I think I look towards Goalies first, D 2nd and forwards last.

spfan

May 4, 2009
Cozens and Suzuki is my least favorite combo for LA.

I think there's a clear top 4, but then I think Cozens, Dach, Zegras and even Podkolzin are in that next tier. And very close between them all.
Dach's skating is the big question. Also Cozens performed better in the playoffs. LA seems to be seeing the value in skating now. Kupari and Anderson-Dolan picks for example. So they could still get that big player, but also has the skating. Zegras is the most skilled, but there's more question if he can be a C in the NHL. I just think Cozens is a blend of both. The size of Dach and the skating of Zegras.
But again, very close. This is just who I would pick.
As far as predictions go, it could be any of those 3. And Podkolzin I think is still in the mix too.

Suzuki as well would give them speed. And really add to their center depth. And I see him as BPA at that point.
Vilardi's future is really in question.
Also, Dach is extremely similar in style to Vilardi, so would they want the same type of player?

Who would you want for LA?

I can’t speak of the other teams, but based on the picks taken before us, if I’m Vegas GM I take Spencer Knight and not just for the name. We have Flower, but there isn’t anyone I have confidence in, in our goalie pipeline as a backup let alone starter. I think I look towards Goalies first, D 2nd and forwards last.

Yeah, I definitely could see it happen. With how instantly competitive VGK got, they might be looking for more immediate help. But it does make sense to get Fleury's predecessor. Knights 1 of the biggest wild cards. Could go to Florida, Colorado. I've seen some have him going to Nashville, Minnesota, Arizona too.
They do have Subban. It doesn't seem that long ago that he was seen as a future starter. Even when he was a Bruin.
I think he's a solid young back up at the very least.
It's just really risky with goalies. The 90's and 2000's, it was common for them to go top 10 and so many of them were busts.
There's certainly steal potential with grabbing Knight though.
I do really like Lavoie though. He's 1 player I'd really like to put higher, but just can't. Pretty deep draft.

spfan

May 4, 2009
I don't see Broberg going that low, otherwise its good

Yeah I would agree. Just projecting them long term. Lots of questions about Broberg.
It'd be interesting if he were eligible last year where the draft was stacked with top d-men.
Is he only standing out in a weaker class of d-men? Aside from Byram of course.
If we're talking about predictions and consensus though, Broberg did rank closer to where I have him on Bob's list.
It only takes 1 team to like a player, but ranked 15th on Bob's consensus rankings. So it appears more NHL scouts are lower on him than some fans. He's a wild card for sure too. I've seen him as high as 6th I think in the more later rankings, but I've also seen near the end of the 1st round.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I think there's a clear top 4, but then I think Cozens, Dach, Zegras and even Podkolzin are in that next tier. And very close between them all.
Dach's skating is the big question. Also Cozens performed better in the playoffs. LA seems to be seeing the value in skating now. Kupari and Anderson-Dolan picks for example. So they could still get that big player, but also has the skating. Zegras is the most skilled, but there's more question if he can be a C in the NHL. I just think Cozens is a blend of both. The size of Dach and the skating of Zegras.
But again, very close. This is just who I would pick.
As far as predictions go, it could be any of those 3. And Podkolzin I think is still in the mix too.

Suzuki as well would give them speed. And really add to their center depth. And I see him as BPA at that point.
Vilardi's future is really in question.
Also, Dach is extremely similar in style to Vilardi, so would they want the same type of player?

Who would you want for LA?

Dont get me wrong. I think both are possible to LA.

I think they take Dach over Cozens. More of a sure fire center.

Tomasino plays with Akil Thomas. LA might be familiar with him with viewing Thomas so much.

I like McMichael over Suzuki but it’s splitting hairs.

Could even see them take Knight if he drops that low.

spfan

May 4, 2009
Dont get me wrong. I think both are possible to LA.

I think they take Dach over Cozens. More of a sure fire center.

Tomasino plays with Akil Thomas. LA might be familiar with him with viewing Thomas so much.

I like McMichael over Suzuki but it’s splitting hairs.

Could even see them take Knight if he drops that low.

Yeah, Cozens could possibly be a RW. The skating of Dach is what puts him behind Cozens for me.
A big man that can also skate like Cozens does. I think he's a sure fire top 6 player whether C or RW.

Yep, Thomas. Another speedy player. Which is why I think LA might be focusing on speed from now on.

Tomasino is just similar to Anderson-Dolan too, that I figure they got that 3C covered already. I think Suzuki's upside is a bit higher. But definitely splitting hairs.

Knight's possible too. I just think LA has so many holes to fill, that goaltending is something to address more in a few years. You're basically just as likely to get an elite goalie outside of the 1st or even 2nd round. Lundqvist, Rinne, Bishop etc.

Reactions: LAKings88

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
First of all great job in putting this mock together with the analysis. I like the Pens pick. Plus I wouldn't have a problem with either one of the alternate players you picked.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
Like Zegras but think with #29 the Ducks will go D (maybe Lassi Thomson or Ryan Johnson). But maybe we get one of those two at #39 based on how your first round shaped out.

spfan

May 4, 2009
First of all great job in putting this mock together with the analysis. I like the Pens pick. Plus I wouldn't have a problem with either one of the alternate players you picked.

Thanks! Always love putting together mocks and talking prospects.
I'm definitely hoping we keep this pick. Would really like to get 1 of the d-men I have in the top 20, but think they're all too good to slip to 21. But how it really plays out, it could happen.

Like Zegras but think with #29 the Ducks will go D (maybe Lassi Thomson or Ryan Johnson). But maybe we get one of those two at #39 based on how your first round shaped out.

Yeah, I see a need for RHD for the Ducks, so Thomson could make sense. Just don't see either as quite 1st round talents. With Perry gone and Getzlaf getting older, I see pretty big needs at forward still though. LHD they have 2 good young players though in Lindholm and Fowler and Larsson on the way as well.

Calgary comes out all smiles with Knight at 26.

Yeah, match made in heaven. If this were a prediction mock draft, Knight probably doesn't quite make it to Calgary, but I think other teams with goalie needs, also have some other glaring needs and it's more of a risk with goalies. But Calgary has a young team and some solid prospects coming too at other positions. A future goalie is really their only big missing piece.

Reactions: TNT87

spfan

May 4, 2009
Buffalo and Vancouver look to me like the big winners....Time will tell

I do love Podkolzin, so I think a few teams definitely made the mistake of passing him up.
I like Cozens quite a bit. Wasn't a big fan of the 31st pick for Buffalo though. So a pretty good draft for them.

Colorado for me are the clear winners though. Not counting the obvious 1st and 2nd overall picks.
Byram is a great player. Was the 3rd best player in the draft and went 4th. Colorado did need to improve their scoring outside of that top line though. And somehow Newhook was available to them. Whether he's a C or LW, that's a big addition for more offense.

Some people thought Podkolzin would go even lower though, so they were wrong. I was also lower on Caufield than most. So he did go close to where I had hm. A lot seemed to think Caufield was going 5-10. He does have big upside, but definitely questions about him too. 15th was great value though.

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
Figured Yzerman would take Podkolzin....Looked like the right fit

Maybe the Av's figured Newhook would be there later for them so take the horse on defense early and Newhook will be there later to address the forward situation........Newhook better turn out though or they're gonna start to look bad.....Passed on Pettersson a couple years ago and passed on some big forward prospects this year...No to mention O'Reilly Duchene and Stastny all got away......If they really want to take the next step they will need some more quality depth up front...Unless they get insane goal tending in the playoffs

spfan

May 4, 2009
Figured Yzerman would take Podkolzin....Looked like the right fit

Maybe the Av's figured Newhook would be there later for them so take the horse on defense early and Newhook will be there later to address the forward situation........Newhook better turn out though or they're gonna start to look bad.....Passed on Pettersson a couple years ago and passed on some big forward prospects this year...No to mention O'Reilly Duchene and Stastny all got away......If they really want to take the next step they will need some more quality depth up front...Unless they get insane goal tending in the playoffs

Yeah, I think Detroit made a huge mistake. Seider is a solid player and all, but 6th was a stretch.

They probably more so lucked into having Newhook there, but regardless, I believe they were the biggest winners of the draft. A lot of teams passed on Pettersson. Makar looks good, so I wouldn't really fault them any more than the other teams that year. Duchene hasn't really proved much since leaving. Stastny wouldn't be a great player for them nowadays.
I'm really liking Colorado's chances at a cup in the not too distant future.

spfan

May 4, 2009
If Grubauer can take his game to the next level they may see a cup.....We'll see

That's about the only slight weakness them. But he's not bad and it only really takes a hot goalie in the playoffs to do it.
Maybe they keep Varlamov too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad