Value of: Spezza to MTL

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
He has negative value.

I am guessing if Dallas put Spezza on waivers(which I believe they can't due to his NMC) some team would pick him up

All that being said my guess is Dallas would have to wait till after Tavares signs

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I am guessing if Dallas put Spezza on waivers(which I believe they can't due to his NMC) some team would pick him up

All that being said my guess is Dallas would have to wait till after Tavares signs

Doubt it.
Hes paid 7.5 mil and only produced 26 pts

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Doubt it.

From an Islanders perspective. If we can't sign tavares, I would more then happy take my chances with Jason Spezza @ 1 year 7.5M then signing somebody like Bozak or Stastny to 4-5 year deals.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Did Spezza even play at C all that much this season?

He wasnt even allowed past the 4th line right wing spot for the majority of the year. When he was he'd do fine but Hitchcock absolutely hated his game it was obvious. He definitely slowed down though but showed some flashes that he still has it in him somewhere. Looked best when playing with decent wingers. Majority of the year he was stuck with Elie/Ritchie/Smith

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If the Habs can't find a center some other way, they are kind of desperate, no? Danault and ... who do they even have who is a natural and valid NHL center? If they can't find more prominent solutions and still have a boatload of cap space, why not take Spezza.

But timing is a factor. Dallas would presumably most ideally move him before July 1st, so that they know what their cap space is heading in the FA frenzy? Meanwhile, Habs will try to fill their cap more effectively first. So by the time the music stops, maybe it will be less viable for either side than it seems now.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
From an Islanders perspective. If we can't sign tavares, I would more then happy take my chances with Jason Spezza @ 1 year 7.5M then signing somebody like Bozak or Stastny to 4-5 year deals.

That's my thinking for the Habs.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I mean if you want to give us value sure but if not we are more than fine holding on to him as we aren't cap crunched and under not Hitch he likely looks a ton better

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Doubt it.

He also had 50 last year and only had one year left on his deal.

There are absolutely teams out there that would take a chance on him, too many teams with holes at center and too little risk when you're only taking on 1 year.

Arizona, Carolina, Montreal possibly St. Louis all come to mind as teams that would take him.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
He also had 50 last year and only had one year left on his deal.

There are absolutely teams out there that would take a chance on him, too many teams with holes at center and too little risk when you're only taking on 1 year.

Arizona, Carolina, Montreal possibly St. Louis all come to mind as teams that would take him.

Teams could take a chance on him, but I doubt they are willing to give any asset to get him

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Doubt it.

Lazy stat watching, nice. Speaking in absolutes about something you don’t know anything about, also nice.

Hitchcock pigeon-holed him into a fourth line role and barely even had him at center. Spezza is slowing down for sure, but the 26 point tally from this year isn’t indicative of his abilities. I think Dallas would much rather see how he responds to a change in staff before selling low on him.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
He wasnt even allowed past the 4th line right wing spot for the majority of the year. When he was he'd do fine but Hitchcock absolutely hated his game it was obvious. He definitely slowed down though but showed some flashes that he still has it in him somewhere. Looked best when playing with decent singers. Majority of the year he was stuck with Elie/Ritchie/Smith

Well, I HAVE heard that Ritchie can carry a decent tune. ;)

Reactions: Kcb12345

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
He doesn't (shouldn't) fit into our plans for this year, if Dallas needed the cap space and were selling low then sure and hopefully he rebounds and we can flip him at the TDL for something but I wouldn't part with anything of any real value as we won't be contending even if he rebounded to be a 60 ptC

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Lazy stat watching, nice. Speaking in absolutes about something you don’t know anything about, also nice.

Hitchcock pigeon-holed him into a fourth line role and barely even had him at center. Spezza is slowing down for sure, but the 26 point tally from this year isn’t indicative of his abilities. I think Dallas would much rather see how he responds to a change in staff before selling low on him.

"could've, would've".
You are delusional if you think teams will give up assets for a 35 year old 7.5 million 26 pt forward.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
"could've, would've".
You are delusional if you think teams will give up assets for a 35 year old 7.5 million 26 pt forward.

And you’re delusional if you think one anomalous season renders Spezza a “26 point forward.” Like I said, he’s slowing down, but that’s an unfair label.

Regardless, I don’t think Dallas cares who would or who wouldn’t move assets for him. I doubt they’re interested in selling low on Spezza, and would like to see him play for a different coach before even entertaining the idea of moving him.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Well, I HAVE heard that Ritchie can carry a decent tune. ;)

The frustrating part is I had to change that from singers to wingers twice and it still autocorrected the 3rd time :/ didnt even realize lol it tried to do it again here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad