McKenzie: Spezza a possible buyout candidate?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I’m sure you could find someone to take him @ 50% retained no?

I don’t think Spezza wants to play in Canada (I think I remember hearing that) but if he did, he’d be an interesting 3C option for Toronto

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

I don’t think Spezza wants to play in Canada (I think I remember hearing that) but if he did, he’d be an interesting 3C option for Toronto
I was thinking this as well.
@50% or a 'show me' contract after a buy out could be a good low-key move.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Don't forget Canada didn't have one good team at that time, they all sucked.

Toronto and Winnipeg are both championship condenders now.

Reactions: north49er

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
He is done. You know when players hit a certain age and you can just tell they are toast? Happened with Ray Whitney in Dallas a couple seasons ago.. from like 77 points to 30 and just toast.

Age catches up to you.

He is too slow but this season his hands have been AWFUL. The guy can't control the puck anymore which renders him basically useless. Still great on the dot tho.

Reactions: Blue Shakehead

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
After he gets bought out, maybe a team offers him the league minimum for a season and see how it goes, but yeah, there's limited roles for someone of his diminishing skillset.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
He is done. You know when players hit a certain age and you can just tell they are toast? Happened with Ray Whitney in Dallas a couple seasons ago.. from like 77 points to 30 and just toast.

Age catches up to you.

He is too slow but this season his hands have been AWFUL. The guy can't control the puck anymore which renders him basically useless. Still great on the dot tho.

As do lingering back issues, which is why I cringed when he was extended for 4 years @ $7.5M. We got one great season out of him, and two decent ones. Was it worth the cost? Evidently not.

Hemsky, Spezza, Methot, Hanzal, Hudler, Bishop.... I wonder why this GM of ours has a hard-on for gimps.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Stars have around $57 committed next season per cap friendly for 13 players and 1 buyout. So, it's around $23 million (if you budget for an $80 million cap) to get 10 more players under contract.

A buyout opens up an extra $5 million, a retention opens up $3.75 million (@ 50%). He can be traded to 20 teams. So, a trade is definitely a possibility.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Buyout would cost 5M, spread over 2 years.

Yeah, I'd try to find a taker at 40-50% retained.

On the other hand, would you pay 3.75M per for a 34 year old center off a 26 point season? Yes, I know, he was doubly productive in the years before, but it's a bit of a gamble. That said, yeah, I could see SOMEONE taking it.

Except Spezza's 10 team no trade list could complicate matters.

Obviously, you try to trade him first, but I get why a buyout might happen . . .

LordJamieBenn

Feb 26, 2015
Dallas/Pittsburgh
It seemed pretty clear that him and Hitch didn't agree with the way he was utilized this past season. I really don't think he's toast like a lot of people are saying either, I'd be willing to bet with a different coach/system he could bounce back and put up 40-50 points next season whether it be with the stars or not.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Minnesota couldn't find any takers for Tomas Vanek, who had one year left at a $6.5m cap hit ($7.5M real salary) coming off a 41 point season. I can't see anyone trading for Spezza unless there's a sweetener thrown in. They know that they can sign him for far less than $3.75M (his salary at 50% retained) if he's bought out. A 34-year old coming off a 26-point season isn't going to be be getting a ton of interest in free agency.

Last edited:

Saekk

Jul 25, 2017
Minnesota couldn't find any takers for Tomas Vanek, who had one year left at a $6.5m cap hit ($7.5M real salary) coming off a 41 point season. I can't see anyone trading for Spezza unless there's a sweetener thrown in. They know that they can sign him for far less than $3.75M (his salary at 50% retained) if he's bought out. A 34-year old coming off a 26-point season isn't going to be be getting a ton of interest in free agency.
Why are you comparing a center to a winger?

DanCloutiers5hole

May 15, 2012
Van City
Canucks should be all over this if a sweetener is involved especially since they can afford to take the whole cap back. We currently have no 2nd line center for next season , Pettersson is coming but I dont see him playing as a center for a few years at least if at all. The question is how much the sweetener would be ? Any chance they would add a prospect like Honka or would be a 2nd rd pick be more plausible. Interested what stars fans think a realistic return would be if we say offered up an RFA like Baertschi ?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
CBJ might be interested at league minimum. Jarmo scouted for Ottawa when they drafted Spezza.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I have to figure some teams would take a shot at Spezza @50%

I see a few people think Spezza will sign for like less then a million but simple fact is their will be a few teams desperate for Centers who might be willing to give him a 2-3 year deal at 4M dollars. Trading for 1 year at 3.75M is less risky

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
I have to figure some teams would take a shot at Spezza @50%

I see a few people think Spezza will sign for like less then a million but simple fact is their will be a few teams desperate for Centers who might be willing to give him a 2-3 year deal at 4M dollars. Trading for 1 year at 3.75M is less risky
That's not happening. 26 points over nearly a full season, will be 35 on July 1st, and has a history of back injuries.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Canucks should be all over this if a sweetener is involved especially since they can afford to take the whole cap back. We currently have no 2nd line center for next season , Pettersson is coming but I dont see him playing as a center for a few years at least if at all. The question is how much the sweetener would be ? Any chance they would add a prospect like Honka or would be a 2nd rd pick be more plausible. Interested what stars fans think a realistic return would be if we say offered up an RFA like Baertschi ?
10 Team No Trade List, which I would bet the Canucks would be on the list. He also has a full NMC so he will either go to one of the 20 places he can be dealt to or bought out. Can't see him landing in Vancouver via trade.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
That's not happening. 26 points over nearly a full season, will be 35 on July 1st, and has a history of back injuries.

As an Islanders fan, if we can't sign Tavares, I would take Spezza at 5M(basically dallas eats out 2.5M which is 1 year of a buyout) for something minor. I much rather take a chance on Spezza for a year then sign Bozak or Stastny(the best 2 options on the UFA market) for top value

Reactions: biturbo19

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It seemed pretty clear that him and Hitch didn't agree with the way he was utilized this past season. I really don't think he's toast like a lot of people are saying either, I'd be willing to bet with a different coach/system he could bounce back and put up 40-50 points next season whether it be with the stars or not.

Yeah. I hardly think he'll rebound into any sort of real world beater or anything, but the way his season went with Hitchcock, it was pretty clear they just didn't see eye to eye. Slid down the depth chart, playing less PP, shuffled to the wing where he's never worked, etc. Hardly the first offensive-minded veteran scorer to look "done" on a Hitch team.

Get him out of that system and to a place where he can play a de facto #2C role with good linemates and plenty of PP time, and i'd be surprised if he doesn't at least bounce back to that sort of production range for another year or two.

If not for his partial NTC, i'd think they should be able to find a taker without having to give up to much to unload his salary. Enough teams desperate for a Top-6 Center to give it a whirl i'd think. Using his NTC leverage to force a buyout and get to pick his landing spot a bit more on a reclamation project deal might be attractive to him though. Even if it leads to him ultimately making a bit less money.

In any case...there's no way Dallas can go into next season with a $7.5M player that doesn't jive with Hitchcock at all. Be it buyout, or finding a way to move his salary in trade...they've gotta do something. Probably best for both parties.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017

Is him bobbling the puck and having it hop over his stick every second play the coaches fault? One of his main skills of puck control and puck handling is down the tubes this season and that isn't on the coach.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014

No chance we'd add Honka to get rid of Spezza for a year. A 2nd I'd likely do.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
No chance we'd add Honka to get rid of Spezza for a year. A 2nd I'd likely do.

As I said above Dallas can eat a bit of salary and get somebody to bite, the more they eat the more the value goes up. Worse comes to worse I am guessing they can put him on waivers and some bottom dweller will pick him up so they can basically trade him at the deadline(@50%)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad