Speed

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Okay, so there's lots of talk that this team needs an injection of speed. PC himself intimated as much after last PO's loss to MTL.

Obviously speed is good, but I have an honest question here, and being that hockey systems and strategy is not my forte, pardon me if this is naive - and please enlighten me if I'm just being dumb, but here it is:

If the overall system of this team on offence is to move up the ice as a 5-man unit (Brickley and others are often pointing this out), does it really help that much to have 1 or 2 guys that are speedsters? Doesn't that potentially throw the 5-man unit thing a bit out of whack?

I mean, obviously speedy players are great in situations like breakaways and long stretch passes, and for guys being able to quickly break in behind defenders etc. And forechecking. Guys like Paille and Marchand have shown their wheels in such cases.

But if the basic strategy is a 5-man unit moving up the ice together, what's the point of having one speedster? Isn't that kind of like having one premium F1 tire on your car and the rest are all-seasons?

Or is the answer not so much speed (good though it is) as quickness - i.e., foot speed, getting to pucks first, etc. Seems to me that was an area where the habs were consistently beating us last playoffs.

Thoughts?

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Okay, so there's lots of talk that this team needs an injection of speed. PC himself intimated as much after last PO's loss to MTL.

Obviously speed is good, but I have an honest question here, and being that hockey systems and strategy is not my forte, pardon me if this is naive - and please enlighten me if I'm just being dumb, but here it is:

If the overall system of this team on offence is to move up the ice as a 5-man unit (Brickley and others are often pointing this out), does it really help that much to have 1 or 2 guys that are speedsters? Doesn't that potentially throw the 5-man unit thing a bit out of whack?

I mean, obviously speedy players are great in situations like breakaways and long stretch passes, and for guys being able to quickly break in behind defenders etc. And forechecking. Guys like Paille and Marchand have shown their wheels in such cases.

But if the basic strategy is a 5-man unit moving up the ice together, what's the point of having one speedster? Isn't that kind of like having one premium F1 tire on your car and the rest are all-seasons?

Or is the answer not so much speed (good though it is) as quickness - i.e., foot speed, getting to pucks first, etc. Seems to me that was an area where the habs were consistently beating us last playoffs.

Thoughts?

Great point. This team is built around our top two centers Krejci and Bergeron, and neither has above average speed. Krejci for instance is a slow and methodical player probably wouldn't mesh well with speedsters who like to race ahead of the play. Nathan Horton was a perfect fit on that line.

You are bang on that the "speed advantage" of the Habs was mostly a matter of quickness. The reason for this was that the Habs were the smaller team, and smaller guys are naturally quicker (though not necessarily faster). Even so, we still should have won the series.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
You don't need to be fast, you just need to be "heavy", you need to be smart and you need to be good. A team with 12 Bergerons wins the Cup every time (and Bergeron is somewhat lead footed).

The Special K

Hoss MOFO, Hoss.
Sep 26, 2008
Canal Winchester, OH
To me, having a few guys with speed is a good advantage on breakouts and also the forecheck. I look at a guy like Paile and how effective he is on the forecheck and getting quality breaks. Honestly...I always get pissed when he has a breakaway....he and his stone hands.

I can see no disadvantage to adding more speed....none at all.

NORY

Jul 23, 2011
Oakville, Ont
I'd say it is more about quickness to get to pucks and make plays, but would add that its very beneficial to have a speedy winger that can gain the zone with ease forcing the defender to turn and chase while opening up space for his trailing line mates.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
I'd say it is more about quickness to get to pucks and make plays, but would add that its very beneficial to have a speedy winger that can gain the zone with ease forcing the defender to turn and chase while opening up space for his trailing line mates.

Pouliot

HanktheHammer*

Are we talking Tommy Chong "speed" or Keanu Reeves' "Speed"? Whoa!

The Bruins need to hire a skating consultant. Someone like that would help Lucic and his lumbering stride.

The Leafs hired Barbara Underhill as a skating coach. She fixed Joe Colbourne's skating stride when he was with the Leafs organization. Colbourne is a lot quicker now then when he was with the Bruins. Can't go wrong with that, the kid is leading the league in scoring right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

ElkabombKid9

May 18, 2007
Boston

Exactly ^they dump and chase a lot going on a 50 50 chance the forecheck creates possession, but if you have a guy who can skate it in and start some sort of setup you gain overall more chances and obv. Posession. You'll notice krug and Hamilton do this well. If more of the wingers were able to skate it in and not have to dump it way more chances

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
To me, the speed issue is more of a detriment when they don't have the puck. They don't get in on the forecheck quickly enough and at times don't get back into the play as fast as I'd like.

Last edited:

paree87

Oct 14, 2011
Boston
Speed creates matchup problems for the opposing defense and opens things up a bit more for any 5 man unit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad