Speed of the game - 1950 vs 2023

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
In the Hockey Handbook by Lloyd Percival, Percival reported some results from the 1949-50 Sports College Hockey survey. Among other things, this survey tracked and analyzed player skating in 41 NHL games. As many as six researchers were used at a time to cross-check results, all of them expert timers. Top speeds were calculated during puck-carrying rushes and back-checking bursts from blue line to centre red line. They also tracked the distance skated by selected players.

More recently, the NHL has posted player tracking data online at NHL EDGE Puck and Player Tracking Statistics - Home. So now in 2024, 75 years later, we can compare top speeds and distance skated by today's stars to the stars of 1949-50!

Top skating speeds with the puck (1950)
PlayerTop Skating Speed (mph)
Ken Reardon
22.6​
Doug Bentley
22.5​
Howie Meeker
22.5​
Gordie Howe
22.5​
Don Raleigh
22.5​
Average best speed
21.1​

Percival noted that Reardon used the best technique for speed when rushing unchecked, pushing the puck ahead of him and skating in a dead straight line. Other players handled the puck or shifted from side to side even with no checkers to beat, slowing them down.

Top skating speeds without the puck (1950)
Max Bentley
23.0​
Norm Dussault
23.0​
Milt Schmidt
23.0​
Bill Mosienko
22.8​
Tony Leswick
22.8​
Ted Lindsay
22.8​
Harry Watson
22.8​
Average best speed
22.3​

These speeds above are for the best bursts of the players checked within the 41 games. Percival noted that most times recorded were slower. For example, Max Bentley's average blue line to red line speed with the puck was 16.9 mph, and without the puck it was 18.8 mph.

Top skating speeds for selected players (2023)
Nathan MacKinnon
24.05​
Connor McDavid
23.58​
Sidney Crosby
22.88​
Nikita Kucherov
22.60​
Brady Tkachuk
21.89​
Alex Ovechkin
21.69​

MacKinnon and McDavid both skated faster than any 1950 player was recorded. The others' top speeds would not have been out of place in 1950.

Distance skated per game (1950)
PlayerMiles skated per gameMinutes/gameMiles/hour
Ted Kennedy
3​
19​
9.60​
Bill Mosienko
3.5​
23​
9.13​
Ted Lindsay
3.25​
22​
8.86​
Milt Schmidt
2.25​
17​
7.94​
Roy Conacher
2.5​
20​
7.50​
Average player
2.5​
22​
6.82​

Ted Kennedy was considered the hardest worker of his day, and he was in fact the player who skated the most miles/hour (or work rate as Percival calls it).

Percival noted that the average NHL player moved at top speed about 10-15 % of the time he was on the ice. He played at about three-quarter speed for 45-50 % of the time, half speed for 10-15% of the time, coasted for about 5-10%, and was standing still (face-offs, etc) for the remainder of the time. In the average two minute session of play, a player was immobile for 14-16 seconds during face-offs, although still in an active stance.

Distance skated per game (2023)
Connor McDavid
3.58​
21.3​
10.08​
Nikita Kucherov
3.56​
21.7​
9.85​
Nathan MacKinnon
3.70​
22.8​
9.75​
Sidney Crosby
3.23​
20.0​
9.71​
Alex Ovechkin
2.91​
19.6​
8.93​
Brady Tkachuk
2.55​
18.9​
8.08​

It appears that top forwards were in the same range for minutes played and miles skated in 1950 and 2023. The edge goes to 2023 for the average miles/hour. McDavid, Kucherov, MacKinnon, and Crosby all edged out Kennedy's 1950 mark, and even Ovechkin and Tkachuk were well clear of Roy Conacher's 1950 number, not to mention the even lower total posted by the average player in 1950.

I do wonder if the 1950 minute totals included stoppages at face-offs, based on Percival's note that the average two minute shift had 14-16 seconds of face-offs. Face-offs were called more frequently in 1950 when the puck got trapped along the boards, and were often not an occasion for a shift change. If that is the case, then the 1950 mph numbers would be higher excluding face-off stoppages.

Anyway, based on these numbers the game is faster today than it was in 1950 - but maybe not by as much as you thought.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
In the Hockey Handbook by Lloyd Percival, Percival reported some results from the 1949-50 Sports College Hockey survey. Among other things, this survey tracked and analyzed player skating in 41 NHL games. As many as six researchers were used at a time to cross-check results, all of them expert timers. Top speeds were calculated during puck-carrying rushes and back-checking bursts from blue line to centre red line. They also tracked the distance skated by selected players.

More recently, the NHL has posted player tracking data online at NHL EDGE Puck and Player Tracking Statistics - Home. So now in 2024, 75 years later, we can compare top speeds and distance skated by today's stars to the stars of 1949-50!

Ken Reardon
22.6​
Doug Bentley
22.5​
Howie Meeker
22.5​
Gordie Howe
22.5​
Don Raleigh
22.5​
Average best speed
21.1​

Percival noted that Reardon used the best technique for speed when rushing unchecked, pushing the puck ahead of him and skating in a dead straight line. Other players handled the puck or shifted from side to side even with no checkers to beat, slowing them down.

Max Bentley
23.0​
Norm Dussault
23.0​
Milt Schmidt
23.0​
Bill Mosienko
22.8​
Tony Leswick
22.8​
Ted Lindsay
22.8​
Harry Watson
22.8​
Average best speed
22.3​

These speeds above are for the best bursts of the players checked within the 41 games. Percival noted that most times recorded were slower. For example, Max Bentley's average blue line to red line speed with the puck was 16.9 mph, and without the puck it was 18.8 mph.

Nathan MacKinnon
24.05​
Connor McDavid
23.58​
Sidney Crosby
22.88​
Nikita Kucherov
22.60​
Brady Tkachuk
21.89​
Alex Ovechkin
21.69​

MacKinnon and McDavid both skated faster than any 1950 player was recorded. The others' top speeds would not have been out of place in 1950.

Ted Kennedy
3​
19​
9.60​
Bill Mosienko
3.5​
23​
9.13​
Ted Lindsay
3.25​
22​
8.86​
Milt Schmidt
2.25​
17​
7.94​
Roy Conacher
2.5​
20​
7.50​
Average player
2.5​
22​
6.82​

Ted Kennedy was considered the hardest worker of his day, and he was in fact the player who skated the most miles/hour (or work rate as Percival calls it).

Percival noted that the average NHL player moved at top speed about 10-15 % of the time he was on the ice. He played at about three-quarter speed for 45-50 % of the time, half speed for 10-15% of the time, coasted for about 5-10%, and was standing still (face-offs, etc) for the remainder of the time. In the average two minute session of play, a player was immobile for 14-16 seconds during face-offs, although still in an active stance.

Connor McDavid
3.58​
21.3​
10.08​
Nikita Kucherov
3.56​
21.7​
9.85​
Nathan MacKinnon
3.70​
22.8​
9.75​
Sidney Crosby
3.23​
20.0​
9.71​
Alex Ovechkin
2.91​
19.6​
8.93​
Brady Tkachuk
2.55​
18.9​
8.08​

It appears that top forwards were in the same range for minutes played and miles skated in 1950 and 2023. The edge goes to 2023 for the average miles/hour. McDavid, Kucherov, MacKinnon, and Crosby all edged out Kennedy's 1950 mark, and even Ovechkin and Tkachuk were well clear of Roy Conacher's 1950 number, not to mention the even lower total posted by the average player in 1950.

I do wonder if the 1950 minute totals included stoppages at face-offs, based on Percival's note that the average two minute shift had 14-16 seconds of face-offs. Face-offs were called more frequently in 1950 when the puck got trapped along the boards, and were often not an occasion for a shift change. If that is the case, then the 1950 mph numbers would be higher excluding face-off stoppages.

Anyway, based on these numbers the game is faster today than it was in 1950 - but maybe not by as much as you thought.

You touched on the factor I was going to bring up, shift length. Shifts today are a sprint vs back then when they were marathons and you had to conserve energy. I feel like that contributes to the difference as much as anything else.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
according to measurements, and i think most of us have seen the Popular Mechanics? study - Howe and Hull and Beliveau's wristers were hard slappers by todays standards. In both cases, i dont buy it. Sorry history forum.

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
according to measurements, and i think most of us have seen the Popular Mechanics? study - Howe and Hull and Beliveau's wristers were hard slappers by todays standards. In both cases, i dont buy it. Sorry history forum.
The top speed stuff may need to be taken with a grain of salt for cross-era comparisons, but I'm guessing the distance per game charts are likely to be more accurate. (Although the Bentley 16-18 MPH numbers seem reasonable, and average times may help eliminate outlier times that may be ) Plus it's always nice to get ice times for older eras.

Max Bentley could be pretty quick though.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
The KHL hardest slapshot were also leap above nhl best, significantly above what Chara-Weber ever did, almost 115 mph I think.

They simply slap the puck closer to the radar, i.e. we are used to see a different metric for the shot, not the actual top speed of the puck but the speed at the goal line from a good distance. Add a bit of less precise radar from the days

I think some of the metric of popular dynamic were more different than the one we are used to see, would it be speed of the pucks (I would imagine the guys interest in the top speed of it).

A bit like skating competition with a skating start vs starting with 0, numbers being quite different.

Not saying the popular mechanics are not wrong, but I am not sure we are use to see the value they calculated (a bit like some could have the reflex to think that the khl numbers were cheating).

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

I don't think the history forum buys those either. Not with so many other players also measuring as high & fast as they do:

110.jpg

114.jpg

overpass

Jun 7, 2007

I also can't take the measurements from the 1968 Popular Mechanics article at face value. But unlike the numbers from 1968, the 1950 numbers are in the same ballpark as speeds and distances recorded with modern technology. And the description of the 1950 methods sounds like it was state of the art for the time, with up to six different expert hand timers being used and checked for consistency. We can discuss the effects of hand timing in 1950 versus electronic measurement in 2023 but I don't think the garbage 1968 numbers need to invalidate every other historical measurement.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

Ken Reardon
22.6​
Doug Bentley
22.5​
Howie Meeker
22.5​
Gordie Howe
22.5​
Don Raleigh
22.5​
Average best speed
21.1​

Max Bentley
23.0​
Norm Dussault
23.0​
Milt Schmidt
23.0​
Bill Mosienko
22.8​
Tony Leswick
22.8​
Ted Lindsay
22.8​
Harry Watson
22.8​
Average best speed
22.3​

Nathan MacKinnon
24.05​
Connor McDavid
23.58​
Sidney Crosby
22.88​
Nikita Kucherov
22.60​
Brady Tkachuk
21.89​
Alex Ovechkin
21.69​

Ted Kennedy
3​
19​
9.60​
Bill Mosienko
3.5​
23​
9.13​
Ted Lindsay
3.25​
22​
8.86​
Milt Schmidt
2.25​
17​
7.94​
Roy Conacher
2.5​
20​
7.50​
Average player
2.5​
22​
6.82​

Connor McDavid
3.58​
21.3​
10.08​
Nikita Kucherov
3.56​
21.7​
9.85​
Nathan MacKinnon
3.70​
22.8​
9.75​
Sidney Crosby
3.23​
20.0​
9.71​
Alex Ovechkin
2.91​
19.6​
8.93​
Brady Tkachuk
2.55​
18.9​
8.08​

Fantastic post. I've been interested in this since I came across the early NHL fastest skater times when researching some more on Syl Apps. This information you've compared is gold.

I know that people trash the 1968 numbers but I'm convinced that it is simply a lack of detail on HOW their measurements were taken. Just like someone mentioned - in the KHL they have a higher shot speed record than the NHL because of where the radar was placed. Similarly in baseball if you measure a pitch as it leaves the hand you'll get a drastically different result than at the plate.

The thing that always gets me though is how slow older hockey footage looks even though skating speeds (and human beings) haven't actually changed dramatically. I'm sure part of that is that in the pre-1985 days, shifts were much longer and players only burst up to top speeds infrequently, but I'm convinced that part of it is the camera and recording technology itself.

Do we have any knowledgeable people about film and TV broadcast equipment that can explain why (apart from resolution) old footage often appears so slow compared to today? I'm sure it is something along the lines of the frame rates but I don't know enough.

Last edited:

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
but I'm convinced that part of it is the camera and recording technology itself.
That also a feeling, I wonder if it is something boxing match could show as well, 50s vs 70s say for tech reason, like do the boxer feel slower:

Baseball swing could never have been slow either..... yet they can look on old footage to be it seem to me.

A possible piece of evidence one way or an other could be :

The documentary un jeu si simple, we can see from the very same season tv video footage versus nice 16mm actual film of the game.

Actual film of the game subjectively feel way more modern, could just be quality and color, but maybe there something about how movement is better captured or interpreted by our brain from it.

Last edited:

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
The top speed stuff may need to be taken with a grain of salt for cross-era comparisons, but I'm guessing the distance per game charts are likely to be more accurate. (Although the Bentley 16-18 MPH numbers seem reasonable, and average times may help eliminate outlier times that may be ) Plus it's always nice to get ice times for older eras.

Max Bentley could be pretty quick though.

ya, i can easily fathom the distance per game. Longer shifts and there is no way they would be lesser in terms of endurance - as they played longer shifts and were typically slighter athletes. I would expect higher endurance if anything.

And the 06 is to my eye much faster than early expansion and arguably somewhat faster, in a sliding scale sense, until early 90s. Just a higher cut of player in a smaller league.

I also can't take the measurements from the 1968 Popular Mechanics article at face value. But unlike the numbers from 1968, the 1950 numbers are in the same ballpark as speeds and distances recorded with modern technology. And the description of the 1950 methods sounds like it was state of the art for the time, with up to six different expert hand timers being used and checked for consistency. We can discuss the effects of hand timing in 1950 versus electronic measurement in 2023 but I don't think the garbage 1968 numbers need to invalidate every other historical measurement.
good argument.

as for the other two posters who responded - good. I was mistaken as to where we stood on that, lol.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
The documentary un jeu si simple, we can see from the very same season tv video footage versus nice 16mm actual film of the game.

Actual film of the game subjectively feel way more modern, could just be quality and color, but maybe there something about how movement is better captured or interpreted by our brain from it.

Film certainly seems to age much better than the muddy TV broadcast recordings.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
As long as people have played hockey (or skated), there have been fast skaters. That's never changed. Of course, things like time spent on ice, specialized training, improvements in equipment, etc. all have effects on skating.

But there will always be a percentage of skaters who are fast.

The biggest difference between the fast (or good) skaters in 1950 and those in 2024 is that there are a lot more of them in 2024.

Reactions: Dingo

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023

I don't really take a lot of stock into that either way, but it is worth noting that at the skills competition tonight they interviewed Matthews and he was asked sort of in a joking manner that if anything his snap shot would be as hard as his slapper. He didn't think it would be, but in all honesty I don't know if it is that far off. The velocity on his snap/wrist shot is already legendary. So if there is a player of yesteryear that could do it, I would say it is Hull that would have that hard wrister comparable to a slap shot. Maybe even Howe. Not sure about Beliveau. Hull was what I would describe as "farm strong" and I guess Howe would be too.

But I think the main issue here is equipment. The skates have come a long ways. Hockey was not the "rich man's game" it is today. Equipment was more shabby than today, heavier too. Sticks, skates, even helmets and goalie masks, have all come a long, long ways. No doubt additional training has helped too. But you do have to remember in the off season most players had normal jobs up until expansion or so, and even then the role players probably still worked in the offseason at least until the 1970s. But put McDavid in skates from 1950 and he isn't as fast. I think that is the most notable difference in my mind and you can include increased training as another factor.

Good example here is I was watching on the NFL network the first Super Bowl between the Packers and Chiefs and of course there was commentary afterwards. The game really doesn't look a whole lot different as you would think. For example, the 1966 were notably tall. They were bigger than the Packers. The average height of the Chiefs in 1966 was 6'2.7" which trumps the Chiefs in 2023 at 6'2.2". The main difference is weight if anything. Average weight of the 1966 Chiefs is 228lbs. compared to 243.3lbs. to the Chiefs today. But there were still some massive players in the NFL at that time. You might see the difference in weight on an average NFL offensive line today, but they aren't taller, maybe even shorter. With the NHL in the 1960s the average height and weight was 5'11" and about 180lbs. Now it is about 6'1" and about 195lbs. It peaked during the dead puck era with weight because smaller players were being ignored more over the big power forwards every GM was hoping would turn into a fraction of a player as Lindros. But in reality in 2024 height and weight is not as big of a factor as 20-25 years ago in the NHL. I guess what I am saying is that the more things change the more they stay the same. It really isn't altogether that different today. Mike Gartner for years was recorded as the fastest skater at the all-star game from 1996. And this was an ancient Mike Gartner too. He was 13.386 seconds. It took until 2012 for someone to beat him, and even then the record today is Dylan Larkin at 13.172. Barzal once beat it, Carl Hagelin, and McDavid has beaten it as well. But even tonight McDavid was the winner with 13.408, which is slower than Gartner of 1996. And again that included Barzal tonight. So I don't know, we tend to look at old black and white film sometimes in slow motion and think things have changed, but I don't think they have all that much.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad