Speculation: Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
I think you can trade Kreider. You just gotta find a decent team that'll promise him top 6 minutes.

Hornqvist waived for Florida, he said in swedish newspapers that he rather be somewhere were he's valued.

I guess it's not impossible as much as unlikely. Kreider has been with the Rangers his entire career, he's in the biggest market in the league on and up and coming team and I just think it's doubtful he would waive. Maybe, but I feel like he would sooner take a 3rd line position with the team than waive his NMC.

Not sure what it would take exactly to entice him to waive. With his contract it's unlikely they could threaten him with benching or anything. Plus, as a player and person, he wouldn't deserve such treatment.

But damn, if we could convince Trouba to waive, which might be more likely, I would want to do that in a second. His role on this team is tenuous at best. He doesn't have an offensive role and doesn't look like hes actively altering his game to fit the team. If he would focus on becoming a shut down defender, with his size and physicality, it would be best for both him and the team, but I haven't seen any of that. It actually looks more like he's sometimes disinterested in trying hard. If we could convince one player to waive their NMC, it would be Trouba for me. Plus, we have the young dman depth to fill Trouba's spot, whereas I am not sure we have a forward right now that could really take Kreider's spot.

I think Trouba would be relegated to the 3rd line at this point if his contract wasn't what it is and we could give our young guys a chance.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I guess it's not impossible as much as unlikely. Kreider has been with the Rangers his entire career, he's in the biggest market in the league on and up and coming team and I just think it's doubtful he would waive. Maybe, but I feel like he would sooner take a 3rd line position with the team than waive his NMC.

Not sure what it would take exactly to entice him to waive. With his contract it's unlikely they could threaten him with benching or anything. Plus, as a player and person, he wouldn't deserve such treatment.

But damn, if we could convince Trouba to waive, which might be more likely, I would want to do that in a second. His role on this team is tenuous at best. He doesn't have an offensive role and doesn't look like hes actively altering his game to fit the team. If he would focus on becoming a shut down defender, with his size and physicality, it would be best for both him and the team, but I haven't seen any of that. It actually looks more like he's sometimes disinterested in trying hard. If we could convince one player to waive their NMC, it would be Trouba for me. Plus, we have the young dman depth to fill Trouba's spot, whereas I am not sure we have a forward right now that could really take Kreider's spot.

I think Trouba would be relegated to the 3rd line at this point if his contract wasn't what it is and we could give our young guys a chance.
I was with you all the way until the third paragraph.

I think the team has a very different outlook on Trouba than you and a lot of people here do. He's one of the leading candidates to be named captain. Also it's worth noting that his presence was missed tremendously towards the end of the season where they got the bag beat out of them every night. He's not going anywhere either anytime soon.

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I don’t think the Rangers would be or should be concerned with the quantity of assets for a player like Eichel. They have depth and they have pieces that SHOULD entice the Sabres.

Adams has the makings of yet another rebuild in Buffalo. Are people really thinking that their long term play here is to keep paying Eichel AND force him to get their surgery AND have him regain health under their stewardship AND have him come back to play some games for them to help rebuild his value? Because that’s the road the Sabres would need to be agreeable to taking. And it’s probably a 2 year process. All while he’s trying to build a new environment with his young players.

The deal is there to be made for this team. Trade Kravtsov as the main piece or Nils, it’s one of the other. From there it’s Georgiev + Strome + pick. If they want another piece it’s another lesser piece like Hajek or Gettinger, depth piece. Backfill Nils or Kravtsov with Gauthier or Jones.

I keep coming back to the fact that the Rangers have the pieces and the cap space to do this. They can make it work for a couple of years if needed until a couple of their contracts are traceable (Kreider, Trouba). I get the sense that Kaako and Laf will WANT to take short term deals to get a clearer picture on where the cap goes no matter what the Rangers want and that’s not a bad thing. Give them 2-3 year deals and the sign them long term at that point and you have the backbone of the team until they are 33-34, not 28-29.

Eichel opens a window, IF the team isn’t scared by his medicals, right away. It will probably be a 4 year window until they would need a slight retool leading to a 2nd window as Laf and Kaako are in their prime.

Reactions: jay from jersey

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I don’t think the Rangers would be or should be concerned with the quantity of assets for a player like Eichel. They have depth and they have pieces that SHOULD entice the Sabres.

Adams has the makings of yet another rebuild in Buffalo. Are people really thinking that their long term play here is to keep paying Eichel AND force him to get their surgery AND have him regain health under their stewardship AND have him come back to play some games for them to help rebuild his value? Because that’s the road the Sabres would need to be agreeable to taking. And it’s probably a 2 year process. All while he’s trying to build a new environment with his young players.

The deal is there to be made for this team. Trade Kravtsov as the main piece or Nils, it’s one of the other. From there it’s Georgiev + Strome + pick. If they want another piece it’s another lesser piece like Hajek or Gettinger, depth piece. Backfill Nils or Kravtsov with Gauthier or Jones.

I keep coming back to the fact that the Rangers have the pieces and the cap space to do this. They can make it work for a couple of years if needed until a couple of their contracts are traceable (Kreider, Trouba). I get the sense that Kaako and Laf will WANT to take short term deals to get a clearer picture on where the cap goes no matter what the Rangers want and that’s not a bad thing. Give them 2-3 year deals and the sign them long term at that point and you have the backbone of the team until they are 33-34, not 28-29.

Eichel opens a window, IF the team isn’t scared by his medicals, right away. It will probably be a 4 year window until they would need a slight retool leading to a 2nd window as Laf and Kaako are in their prime.
Yup, it's an absolutely untenable situation for Buffalo. He doesn't want to be playing for them and they don't want him in that locker room being a distraction (amongst other potential issues). If Buffalo is hoping to showcase his talents that is never going to happen prior to a trade.

I also have no problem on shorter term deals for guys. The cap is going to rise significantly at some point.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
People keep saying the Rangers can make it work cap-wise next year. I'm not seeing it, unless Zibanejad walks.

Reactions: mas0764

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
yeah I assume getting eichel means saying bye to zib which is arguably a wash

If it wasn't for the assets we'd have cough up to get Eichel in the first place, it would be a wash ... maaaybe.

Furthermore, consider Eichel will be out half a year at least after we "get him", because he still! didn't! have! surgery!

Furtherfurthermore Eichel hasn't played in God knows how long. Sure he will magically be in top form after surgery and what seems to be two years of not playing.

To be clear, it will not be a wash. Not by a long shot.

If there is any economy to the business of a GM, we do not touch Eichel, pay Zibs and pray he stays healthy.

Reactions: brakeyawself

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Someone asked about the timeline before, can't remember who. But Peter Fish said on July 31 that if Eichel could have the disc replacement at that time, he would be ready to start the season. So his camp thinks the turnaround would be around 2 months.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

I agree with getting Eichel in principle and have a more optimistic view on his injury long term than some. The problem to me is that I don’t think we can fit Eichel and resign Zib (I ran some numbers on capfriendly). So now it becomes a pro/con exercise with those two and I have to say that Mika comes out ahead all things considered.

Eichel: better player slightly, better age and contract term, higher AAV, will cost significant assets, higher injury and performance risk

Mika: lesser player slightly but known quantity, older, worse anticipated contract term, lower estimated AAV (8.5-9?), free signing, lower injury risk although maybe not much lower as some may think.

Edge IMO: Mika

Reactions: Cawlidge Hawkey

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
He's getting top 6 minutes here and there is zero indication that he doesn't feel valued. He's already on PP1 here. It's fantasy land thinking.
I know he is but he's top expensive, too inconsistent and he steals valuable minutes from our other youngsters

This contract will f*** us right in the ass with no vaseline at the last years. We already got Panarin & LAF on the LW. Kreider will be the 3rd LW... that's waste of money.

Kakko & Kravtsov on the RW needs more ice-time. Moving Kreider will help us retaining our best players while adding a legit top 6 gamebreaking C.

Reactions: brakeyawself

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I know he is but he's top expensive, too inconsistent and he steals valuable minutes from our other youngsters

This contract will f*** us right in the ass with no vaseline at the last years. We already got Panarin & LAF on the LW. Kreider will be the 3rd LW... that's waste of money.

Kakko & Kravtsov on the RW needs more ice-time. Moving Kreider will help us retaining our best players while adding a legit top 6 gamebreaking C.
The organization doesn't see it that way so time to move on from it.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Kreider on PP1 is taking minutes away from no one. Not a single player is better at his role in this league than he is.

Kreider in the top 6 might. I doubt he will be allowed to live there for 20 games while producing all of a point in that time span this time around.

Reactions: THE BIG WHISTLE

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Oh okay so we're not allowed to talk hypothetical about moves that makes our favourite team stronger? Cool.

Take care.
If it had any basis in reality it would be a hypothetical, but since it doesn't it's not even worth discussion at this point and adding absolutely nothing to the conversation.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
But, but, but, but Gauthier is garbage…
If Kravtsov doesn’t have a starting top 9 spot to start the season, I can see him requesting a trade thru his agent. He’s not going back down to the AHL. That’s out of the question at this point. I also highly doubt he’ll leave again for Russia. I think a trade request would be the most logical for him, to a team whose going to feed him top 9 min/opportunity.
He already picked up his ball and went home once, I’m sure that never sat well with Sather and Drury and I doubt they forgot about it. As far as our Trade bait goes, I can see him being offered as part of a package for a upgrade somewhere in our line up for sure.
Not that I want it to happen, I hope Vitali rips it up with us, but there is certainly a scenario where things hits the rocks and he would want to try to start fresh somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad