Speculation: Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Great timing for Dru to put more pressure on Mika's camp. Jack Eichel heating up, time to put ink to paper on a $8.25X8 contract that will be LTIRed in the final 1-2 seasons. Works out to a $9.42X7 on the open market.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Rangers are going to end up with a one - two punch of Eichel and Larkin
That would be quite a sight to behold. Eichel centering LaF on first line
And Larkin being a 2-way beast with Panarin and Kakko on the other, with Larkin being more in a leadership role while Eichel is free to play and do his thing

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I agree with getting Eichel in principle and have a more optimistic view on his injury long term than some. The problem to me is that I don’t think we can fit Eichel and resign Zib (I ran some numbers on capfriendly). So now it becomes a pro/con exercise with those two and I have to say that Mika comes out ahead all things considered.

Eichel: better player slightly, better age and contract term, higher AAV, will cost significant assets, higher injury and performance risk

Mika: lesser player slightly but known quantity, older, worse anticipated contract term, lower estimated AAV (8.5-9?), free signing, lower injury risk although maybe not much lower as some may think.

Edge IMO: Mika

While the bold may be accurate, he is a very different type of player. He's a goal scorer. Legit sniper. Maybe a top 10 shot in the league. Not many players can wire it the way he does. Wrister, slapper, one timer, all elite level shots. Eichel is another playmaker. He's elite at that. He can score and has a high level shot too, but it isn't a weapon like Zibanejad is on that right circle.

We talked about diversifying the roster with grit and toughness for the bottom of the lineup. Well, if we're getting Eichel, we're not keeping Mika. Who is the sniper? Laf is a playmaker, Kakko is more of a powerforward type. Strome is not a shooter. Panarin can wire it, but he is a passer. Kreider is a net front guy that occassionally hits his mark. Maybe it is Chytil, but is he in the deal. Same for Kravtsov, but he is more of a passer too. Where is the goal scorer?

To me, that is the biggest reason to have Zibanejad. You need that threat. Even if Stamkos was compromised for Tampa while winning 2 cups, he is a legit threat to wind up and drive one past the goalie. Eichel is elite and a top 10 center when healthy, but he's more vanilla compared to the rest of the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad