Special Teams

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
While there's plenty of options for the PP..

Zib, Kreider, Zucca, Shattenkirk, Pionk..Etc..

What are we doing on PK?

Hayes, Fast, Skjei, Smith? Staal?
???

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Not going to take any penalties.

Pionk, Claessen, Zibanejad, Zuccarello are players you didn't mention who saw a fair bit of PK time last year. Have to think Andersson will be an option there as well. I'd imagine Namestnikov will get an opportunity, maybe Beleskey.

Reactions: Ail

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
While there's plenty of options for the PP..

Zib, Kreider, Zucca, Shattenkirk, Pionk..Etc..

What are we doing on PK?

Hayes, Fast, Skjei, Smith? Staal?
???

I hope that Skjei gets some #1 PP time.

Kreider - Zbad - Zucc
Skjei - Shattenkirk

Names - Hayes - Buch
???? - Pionk

Some of this depends is Andersson and/or Chytil make the team. I'd like to see Chytil on the 2nd unit LW if he makes the squad.

I guess if ADA makes the team having either he or Pionk play the off side on the 2nd unit. Although having 2 rooks on the 2nd pair D makes me a little sick to my stomach.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Not going to take any penalties.

Pionk, Claessen, Zibanejad, Zuccarello are players you didn't mention who saw a fair bit of PK time last year. Have to think Andersson will be an option there as well. I'd imagine Namestnikov will get an opportunity, maybe Beleskey.

That's weak
I don't know much about Claessen and outside Zucc, which players can actually defend?

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I hope that Skjei gets some #1 PP time.

Kreider - Zbad - Zucc
Skjei - Shattenkirk

Names - Hayes - Buch
???? - Pionk

Some of this depends is Andersson and/or Chytil make the team. I'd like to see Chytil on the 2nd unit LW if he makes the squad.

I guess if ADA makes the team having either he or Pionk play the off side on the 2nd unit. Although having 2 rooks on the 2nd pair D makes me a little sick to my stomach.

I hope Skjei gets some PP time as well but until they actually make the team, I'm not counting Andersson and Chytil just yet.

PK is looking especially weak.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
PK was much improved under Ruff as I’ve gone over with you before. Your answer was that you didn’t feel like it was good enough :laugh:

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
PK was much improved under Ruff as I’ve gone over with you before. Your answer was that you didn’t feel like it was good enough :laugh:

If I said that it wasn't sufficient at the time then it most likely wasn't :laugh:

So again..Give me two capable units that will defend the house, my man lol.

3..2..1..Go!

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
That's weak
I don't know much about Claessen and outside Zucc, which players can actually defend?
In order of how good defensively they are (IMO):
Fast
Hayes
Namestnikov
Zibanejad
Vesey (maybe?)

I think it should be:
PK 1 Hayes - Fast
PK 2 Namestnikov - Zuccarello

And even though he's quite good defensively, I didn't include Kreider, since he is going to have 1st line duties and PP time.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Hayes and Zibanejad were the 1 and 2 PK centers last season. I expect Hayes to keep his role, but would rather Zibanejad is saved for even strength and the powerplay.
Staal actually had the most time on the team. I assume that'll stay the same, since regardless of how you feel about him defensively, he definitely shouldn't be used to drive the offense.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
In order of how good defensively they are (IMO):
Fast
Hayes
Namestnikov
Zibanejad
Vesey (maybe?)

I think it should be:
PK 1 Hayes - Fast
PK 2 Namestnikov - Zuccarello

And even though he's quite good defensively, I didn't include Kreider, since he is going to have 1st line duties and PP time.

I really hope Zib isn't anywhere near the PK IMO

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Hayes and Zibanejad were the 1 and 2 PK centers last season. I expect Hayes to keep his role, but would rather Zibanejad is saved for even strength and the powerplay.
Staal actually had the most time on the team. I assume that'll stay the same, since regardless of how you feel about him defensively, he definitely shouldn't be used to drive the offense.

hayes is the obviously choice to be the top pk center...but you have to wonder how is one year deal and the appearance that he isn't part of the long term plans changes that. its possible that come jan he'll sign an extension and be here long term, but it certainly doesn't appear that way right now.

so even if it means the PK isn't as good..are we better off using someone that will be here long term so that player can develop and grow into that role?

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI

I totally agree on Zib and actually have no problem with Staal on the PK.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
What prankster made your name blue? Change it back!

Reactions: Ail and Chytil

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I'd really like to see two competent units put together here but personally I can't see that they currently have the personnel.

Maybe add Lettieri?

Hank is gonna get fkn torched..

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
If I said that it wasn't sufficient at the time then it most likely wasn't :laugh:

So again..Give me two capable units that will defend the house, my man lol.

3..2..1..Go!
It was basically top-5 the entire season until the last game against the Devils, so top-5 isn’t good enough for you?

I’m not a fan of the depth this season, and the only trusted PKers I see are Mika, Staal, Skjei, Hayes, Fast, and maybe Namestnikov.

The rest will have to be done in aggregate, and they’ll need guys like Pionk, ADA, Shattenkirk (shut up), Vesey, and maybe even Kreider to fill the void. Losing Grabner sucked for our PK, and I don’t see Nieves filling the checking C/PK C role

I excluded Lias and Chytil on purpose.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
PP1: Zibanejad, Kreider, Buchnevich, Chytil, Shattenkirk
PP2: Hayes, Zuccarello, Andersson, Spooner, Pionk

Next D on PP: Skjei. Someone will probably ask about DeAngelo. Not in my preferred lineup.

Next F on PP: Namestnikov.

PK1: Hayes and Fast
PK 2: Andersson and Zuccarello
PK 3: Zibanejad and Buchnevich

PK defensive pairs: Staal and Pionk, Skjei and Smith. Next D on PK depends. If its Gilmour or DeAngelo in the lineup, Shattenkirk is next on. If its one of the more defensive guys, they are next.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
penalty killing forwards should be Hayes, Namestnikov, Fast, Vesey, Andersson, Nieves, Zucc, Beleskey, Letteiri, Fogarty, Fontaine, Howden, Gettinger, Gropp, etc.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
The powerplay has the following five positions, of which four have a handedness requirement based on the handedness of the QB: Right shooting QB (RQB), right shooting shooter (RSH), left shooting playmaker high (LPMH), left shooting playmaker low (LPML) and net front (NET).

upload_2018-8-7_9-40-47.png

PP1:

RQB: Shattenkirk
RSH: Zibanejad
LPMH: Zuccarello
LPML: Buchnevich
NET: Kreider

PP2:

RQB: DeAngelo
RSH: Pionk/Meskanen
LPMH: Hayes
LPML: Spooner
NET: Andersson/Fast

PK forwards:

Hayes-Fast
Namestnikov-Andersson
Zibanejad-Kreider

PK defencemen:
Staal-Shattenkirk
Skjei-Pionk

Staal-Shattenkirk should be a pairing 5v5 and stay together on the PK due to familiarity. Skjei plays with DeAngelo 5v5 and gets a new partner for the PK. Pionk, while awful 5v5 put up decent numbers on the PK last year.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'm concerned with the PK. IMO you need 5 D who can penalty kill. 2 pairs + another who can fill the role if one of the D on the two pairs is in the penalty box or has been injured.

D-Skjei, Smith and Staal. Pionk did pretty well last year. Shatty and ADA hardly played that. Claesson I suspect if he makes the team.

F-Hayes, Fast, Namestnikov. Maybe Zibanejad or Zuccarello but I think the Rangers would rather not use those two particularly Zibanejad. They'd rather save them for offensive situations than wear them out in defensive situations. Vesey and Nieves are possibilities. Maybe Lias. Maybe it's a role that someone like Howden could to to make the team.

We've never used Kreider or Buchnevich in penalty kill situations. IMO neither of them are particularly stalwart defensive players. Spooner isn't either. I don't think Beleskey was ever used in such a role in Anaheim or Boston or even Providence or Hartford and I'm not sure he's capable of covering enough territory to be effective at all.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Just try Kreider on the PK. He could use the ice time.
I like it in theory, but it may reduce his 5v5 effectiveness and/or TOI and I really don't want that (same goes for Zib). Though I'm all for putting them out as the 3rd forward pairing at the end of PKs to take advantage of tired/lesser PP units. I can imagine Kreider as a Nash/Grabner hybrid on the PK, which should terrify any PP unit.

The powerplay has the following five positions, of which four have a handedness requirement based on the handedness of the QB: Right shooting QB (RQB), right shooting shooter (RSH), left shooting playmaker high (LPMH), left shooting playmaker low (LPML) and net front (NET).

View attachment 133585
I'm going to expand a bit on my view of the PP and our depth chart at each position. The handedness of each is non-negotiable, I'd rather play Fast at the left circle than Buchnevich or Hayes.

Primary playmaker, shoots left
One of two focal points of the PP and dictates the play along with the QB. Primary skills: Playmaking, creativity, one-timer, slap shot.
NYR depth chart:
Hayes
Zuccarello
Buchnevich
Chytil
Spooner
Namestnikov
Andersson

Quarterback, shoots right
The other focal point of the PP, dictates the play along with the primary playmaker. Primary skills: Playmaking, creativity, one-timer, slap shot.
NYR depth chart:
Shattenkirk
DeAngelo
Pionk
Zibanejad
(Sproul)

Primary shooter, shoots right
The triggerman at the left circle, less involved in the buildup and puck movement and is primarily focused on getting into shooting positions. Primary skills: One-timer, slap shot, positioning.
NYR depth chart:
Zibanejad
Lettieri
Meskanen
Pionk
Fast
(Sproul)
DeAngelo

Secondary playmaker, shoots left
Playmaker down low on the right side, assists the primary with an outlet, can make passes from down-low or take one-timers close to the net. Primary skills: Playmaking, creativity, positioning.
NYR depth chart:
Zuccarello
Buchnevich
Spooner
Chytil
Andersson
Namestnikov

Net front, any handedness
Stands in front of the net to screen the goalie and to redirect any shot, can move into position for a one-timer if opportunity arises. Primary skills: Positioning, hand-eye coordination, toughness.
NYR depth chart:
Kreider
Andersson
Fast
Namestnikov
Chytil

All in all we have the depth to man two coherent and dangerous units, even with injuries, which is more than you can say for most teams in the league. Our weakest position in terms of depth is the primary shooter, where we have some good options that may not crack the actual lineup (Lettieri, Meskanen).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad