Line Combos: Special Teams

Auguste McEscoffier

Oct 20, 2009
I wonder how much the departure of Horcoff will effect the PP? He may not have been producing points-wise, but he did all the little things better than any of our other players.

Koto

May 3, 2011
With our roster looking like it's set for next season, how would you guys like to see the PP and PK units utilized? Here's who I would have out there...

PP1

Let the kids do their thing.

--------------|___|---------------
-----14-------------------4-------
------------------------------------
-----57------------------93-------
----------------19-----------------

PP2

Big net presence with Yak being the primary weapon.

----------------JJ------------------
-----89-------------------64------
--------83-------------------------
-------------------BELOV---------

1st unit needs a person infront of the net, and just let eberle have the whole left right to roam. who is JJ? the fin? are we sure? why no perron on either, gordon could fill as horcoff too.

Koto

May 3, 2011
I was thinking of this set up earlier....

-----14-----------------4---------
------93------------------64------

Hopkins would be lethal having both Hall and Yak as an option cross ice!

this is just so wrong on many levels.

RNH is on the wrong side of the ice, meaning he has no shooting option and will be telegraphing all his passes, the other team can just let him sit with the puck and cover his options, he would be a non threat at that spot.

you also need someone dedicated to the front of the net, and yakupov fits perfectly on the second unit opposite gagner/hemsky with the whole right side to rove on, similar to eberle roving on the left on the first unit.

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
1st unit needs a person infront of the net, and just let eberle have the whole left right to roam. who is JJ? the fin? are we sure? why no perron on either, gordon could fill as horcoff too.

Uhhh...Perron is #57. And JJ is Jesse Joensuu. I agree with utilizing Gordon, it worked well in the past with Horc. Also agree that the set up with Nuge isn't ideal with him being a lefty, just thought it would be fun to see him dish up both Hall and Yak.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
One of two things will happen with Smyth this year. He'll either accept that this is going to be his last season and play it out, or he'll come into camp in great shape and work his ass off and try to prove he can still play and try to earn another contract.

I feel like Ryan Smyth (and most professional hockey players) recognize their limitations, but don't necessarily accept them. I think he knows he's become a slow liability and will do everything he can to change that this off-season. In fact, Edmonton journalists should already be out there looking for him, seeing what he's doing to become an effective player this year.

Time will tell if he still has the actual physical ability to overcome his current limitations, but I'd be pretty disappointed if he doesn't even really try. Honestly, the guy should be out with Gary Roberts and his early-20s flock of fitness aficionados!

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I like it. The first unit to me is deadly, don't change it. The second unit I might even try Smyth for a bit at least in front of the net (lets not forget over his career he was still on of hte most effective players in the NHL for screening the goalie) and try Klefbom/Petry/Belov. which ever works best. I like both though, Hemsky and Gags can look for Yaks across ice. Both units should be deadly.

Koto

May 3, 2011
Uhhh...Perron is #57. And JJ is Jesse Joensuu. I agree with utilizing Gordon, it worked well in the past with Horc. Also agree that the set up with Nuge isn't ideal with him being a lefty, just thought it would be fun to see him dish up both Hall and Yak.

oh he is? i thought that was lander lol.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Decent suggestions by the OP, but I'd tweak a few things.

- Replace JJ with Gordon on 2nd unit, or possibly Smyth (though I'll be the first to admit I haven't seen much of JJ, maybe he can be a beast in that role).

- Put N Schultz in for Belov on the PK, also make the Schultz-Ference pairing the 2nd unit.

- Put Jones in for Eberle. Ebs and Nuge could be a 3rd or 4th PK group that come on in the last 15-20 seconds.

Other than that, I like it.

Kovacs

Jul 22, 2013
Alberta
I was thinking of this set up earlier....

-----14-----------------4---------
------93------------------64------

Hopkins would be lethal having both Hall and Yak as an option cross ice!

I like that but i think with those cross ice options you could move Ebs to the 2nd unit to give it a little more fire power, then you could have Gagner/Ebs/Perron on the PP 2. But maybe Eakins will like having Gordon out there to win the faceoffs and stand in front of the net (sounds like Horcoff, I know) but last year the PP was quite a bit better with Horc in there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad