Line Combos: Special Teams

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
With our roster looking like it's set for next season, how would you guys like to see the PP and PK units utilized? Here's who I would have out there...

PP1

Let the kids do their thing.

--------------|___|---------------
-----14-------------------4-------
------------------------------------
-----57------------------93-------
----------------19-----------------

PP2

Big net presence with Yak being the primary weapon.

----------------JJ------------------
-----89-------------------64------
--------83-------------------------
-------------------BELOV---------

PK1

Have a scoring threat with Perron complimenting Gordon, accompanied by two tough ombres.

-------BELOV-------21-----------
-------GORDON----57-----------

PK2

I warmed up to Gags on the PK last year, give him Ebs to snipe home any of the oppositions mistakes. Any D but Justin.

----------2------------5-----------
---------14-----------89----------

Any way you have it, our PP units should be fun to watch.

Last edited:

duul

Jun 21, 2010
That first PP line is disgusting, they should put up so many points. As for the second line I think Gags will be near the goal line with Hemsky near the top of the circle/half boards like usual. That gives us a lot more options.

Also I think Jones will be on the PK instead of Eberle. Also look for RNH to spend some time PKing if he improves his FO%.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If our powerplay is not among the best in the league next season, someone needs to get smacked.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
If our powerplay is not among the best in the league next season, someone needs to get smacked.

And that smacking should take the form oppositions d-men hitting a couple guys brave enough to stand in front of the net. In my opinion both units need a guy doing that, it is the best way to out man your opponents.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
It looks great on paper but sometimes that doesn't work out on the ice.

Boston, Chicago, and the Rangers all boast incredible first units on the powerplay and they all finished in the bottom 10 (Chicago was 19th) on the powerplay this past season.

I see Nugent-Hopkins as the key for that first unit. As for the second unit, I like the idea of getting Joensuu in front of the net but I would be pretty surprised if Petry didn't get a chance on the powerplay.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Hemsky and Perron at point ....yikes

Grebeshkov should see some PP time and maybe even Petry.

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
Hemsky and Perron at point ....yikes

Grebeshkov should see some PP time and maybe even Petry.

Perron isn't playing the point in my set up. I moved Hemsky down further because my intentions weren't to have him on the point but more of what his position has been the last few years. Kinda hard using small diagrams lol.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I don't really like the setup of the first PP unit tbh. Maybe we could try Perron in front of the net? I think we should also look to make use of Petry's shot on the 2nd PP instead of Belov. Also, I think at some point we should try RNH+Yakupov together on the PP. Those two and Justin Schultz are by far and away our 3 most threatening PP weapons.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I don't really like the setup of the first PP unit tbh. Maybe we could try Perron in front of the net? I think we should also look to make use of Petry's shot on the 2nd PP instead of Belov. Also, I think at some point we should try RNH+Yakupov together on the PP. Those two and Justin Schultz are by far and away our 3 most threatening PP weapons.

Belov is a PP player and should be playing the point on one of the units ahead of Petry.

I would do Perron-Gagner-Yak-Grebs-Belov as 2nd unit.

Nuge-Hall-Joensuu-Ebs-Schultz as 1st unit

No room for Hemmer :(

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton

I was thinking of this set up earlier....

-----14-----------------4---------
------93------------------64------

Hopkins would be lethal having both Hall and Yak as an option cross ice!

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Someone needs to be in front of the net on both units. I'd probably give Smyth a shot. Anybody who will go there and stay there will be useful.

The first unit you posted would be a great 5 on 3 unit, but on a 5 on 4 they'll need someone to stay around the crease, and I don't think you want to waste any of those skilled players by keeping them in front of the net.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Yeah I really don't like that we have no net presence. Like I said, Dustin Penner would've been a perfect fit for us, losing Paajarvi certainly isn't going to help either, oh well. I'd probably move Perron to the 2nd PP unit to where Hemsky is, and move Joensuu up to the 1st PP unit to park in front of the net. Going by his Euro numbers, he has some offensive upside, so might as well give it a shot. Jones is used to scoring garbage goals anyway, so he can move up to the 2nd PP unit in front of the net. Even though Perron is mostly a skill player, he does score some garbage goals, which is why I'd try him in front of the net at some point.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
First PP:

Hall/RNH/Yakupov
Belov/J.Schultz

Second PP:

Perron/Gagner/Eberle
Petry?/Hemsky?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Took a stab at it

PP1

-----14-------------------4-------
-----57----------------------------
--------------------------93-------

Sub in Perron and let the magic happen

PP2

---89----------28-----------------
--83----------------------64------
----------------2------------------

Stack the left side, and give Yak room to get open for the onetimer. I think Jonesy will get a chance to be the guy in front of the net since he has a knack for the garbage goals

PK1

------------2--------5------------
-------GORDON----57---------

Our top shutdown D pairing with our best shutdown centerman

PK2

-Klefa/Belov----Ference-----
---------28-----------89----------

Jones was good on the PK before his injury, and Gags really stepped it up last year

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
The question with our special teams is:

Where does Yakupov go?

Easy answer? Right half-boards. Question? Where do Hall or RNH go then? They both enjoy the benefits from that spot. Yakupov's PP numbers will likely drop if he doesn't have the right spot to fire off his shots/take his rebounds. Personally, I believe in Yakupov's ability to score from the spot, and although with the justified love for Hall around here, I have more confidence in Yakupov than Hall in that spot as well. As well as that, I see Hall being able to transition to a new PP spot and do well there as well.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
----57----|____|-----4-----
----------------------------
--14-------------------93--
------------19-------------

-----------|_15_|-----------
--89-------------------------
---------------------------64-
----83---------------77-------

Assuming Belov is 77 and Gordon is 15. Gordon would be huge for faceoffs and I like having 2 centers on a PP. For our first unit we have two faceoff guys also in RNH and Hall.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
People will probably hate this, but I can't help but wonder if Smyth gets a look on a PP unit. Use his as a 4th liner/PP Spec. Nobody was better than him at working the front of the net back in the day.

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
@ Joey Moss

I'm liking the idea of sliding Gordon in there. Could even have him on the 1st unit much like Horc was for the draws and net presence.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
People will probably hate this, but I can't help but wonder if Smyth gets a look on a PP unit. Use his as a 4th liner/PP Spec. Nobody was better than him at working the front of the net back in the day.
I would much rather see the Oilers try Joensuu in that role. He has a huge frame and reasonable hands - it wouldn't hurt to try.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

Smyth shouldn't even be on the team let alone putting him on the PP tbh

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I agree with OP except.. switch Hall with Yak.

Hall can generate offense by himself. Yak could use the setup man in Nuge.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Smyth shouldn't even be on the team let alone putting him on the PP tbh

One of two things will happen with Smyth this year. He'll either accept that this is going to be his last season and play it out, or he'll come into camp in great shape and work his ass off and try to prove he can still play and try to earn another contract.

Isaak16

The Universe Is Here
May 7, 2013
Alberta
Schultz and RNH should be on different units as they both a "qaurter backs." I'd sacrifice a few % points on the top unit if I could throw out two units that I was completely confident in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad