Special Teams Discussion

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Our PP has been terrible since January of last season, and we have not done anything to change things up.

What ever happened to that slap-pass deflection the Sedins used all the time a couple of years ago?
We might as we try using again. :laugh:

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
Orca Smash, I and a few others took over the Sharks game thread about this, and in my opinion it comes down to a couple of fairly simple things.

As it stands, they're trying to play a quick passing game around the outside and hope an opening comes up, or go for the typical wizerdous sedinery from behind the goal line. This has been figured out. Teams are very, very aggressive in cutting off and pressuring the passes. This also relies on much faster movement from the point, something which Ehrhoff was brilliant at, but the rest of our d are a fraction slower at.

The focus on this game means they are not shooting from the point. The d-men are receiving a pass, pausing, and then deciding whether to wind up or pass. The 1st option seems to be pass. You have two of the best shots in the game in Edler and Garrison, passing as their 1st option. I am somewhat of the opinion that the lack of a true PP QB ala Ehrhoff/Campbell impacts this, as the passing is not perfectly placed for a one-timer from the other d-man. However, I agree with Orca Smash that there is no reason the Sedin's can't complete the perfect pass from the half wall.

Not only does not shooting from the point mean you miss out on the one-timer goals (see Slava, Voynov 29th of Jan 2013), you miss out on the rebounds in front. Edler took two shots on our last PP when paired with Ballard. Both times the puck bounced off Quick near our man at the front of the net.

I think there are two things we need to fix:

-Take more shots from the point. Garrison and Edler need to be set up for shots by each other or by the forwards. The other option is to split them, one on each PP unit, and assign the other d-man a set-up role.

-More movement. I don't mean movement back and forth on the same wall or behind the net by the Sedins. I mean a forward roaming laterally and up and down through the neutral zone, trying to get open. We're quite static, and it's allowing the PK forwards to get very, very aggressive on the D and our passes. Give them something else to think about, try and get someone else open for a shot and collapse the PK a bit.

Personnel wise, we've made our bed. We don't have, nor do we have room for, a true PP QB d-man. That doesn't mean we can't set up shots from the point a lot better, and try something other than bog standard Sedinery. IMHO this is a coaching issue, i'd even go so far as to countenance a new PP coach.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
I agree about splitting up Edler/Garrison on the PP. Both are lefties, and as mentioned, it's difficult for them to set each other up properly.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
May as well discuss our penalty kill as well, which has also looked brutal. Canucks continue to play that passive box and then are getting outworked in puck battles from the half boards down. Not a very good combination....

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
I agree about splitting up Edler/Garrison on the PP. Both are lefties, and as mentioned, it's difficult for them to set each other up properly.

Would love to see Garrison get a chance with the second unit, I think that forward unit would be more likely to set up his bombs from the point.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Would love to see Garrison get a chance with the second unit, I think that forward unit would be more likely to set up his bombs from the point.

Yeah, Edler likes to hold on to the puck/not set up Garrison. :laugh:

I suggested splitting them up a few days ago, and I only like the idea more and more every time we go on the PP.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I don't think Edler is the right guy to be setting Garrison up to get one-timers away. Wouldn't mind trying Schroeder on the point with Edler/Garrison on the right side letting one-timers go. Thing is, we're looking for too cute of goals from the PP, and this is where not having Kesler hurts a lot IMO. He's a warrior in front of the net, and he can be counted on to bury rebounds and passes from the Sedins.

If all else fails, since we don't have a right-handed shot that can take one-timers anymore, why not try Kesler on the point, when he is healthy that is? Him and Edler have bombs, and Kesler is a good passer that can puck the puck in Edler's wheelhouse.

We're far too predictable, as the PP lives and dies on the Sedins stick, so all the opposition does is pressure them down low, and they just end up having to constantly cycle the puck, or throw it to the point where the high PK'er pressure the defensemen and gets it out.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I don't think Edler is the right guy to be setting Garrison up to get one-timers away. Wouldn't mind trying Schroeder on the point with Edler/Garrison on the right side letting one-timers go. Thing is, we're looking for too cute of goals from the PP, and this is where not having Kesler hurts a lot IMO. He's a warrior in front of the net, and he can be counted on to bury rebounds and passes from the Sedins.

If all else fails, since we don't have a right-handed shot that can take one-timers anymore, why not try Kesler on the point, when he is healthy that is? Him and Edler have bombs, and Kesler is a good passer that can puck the puck in Edler's wheelhouse.

We're far too predictable, as the PP lives and dies on the Sedins stick, so all the opposition does is pressure them down low, and they just end up having to constantly cycle the puck, or throw it to the point where the high PK'er pressure the defensemen and gets it out.

I think I'd prefer Kesler not being the guy in front of the net once he comes back. He takes a lot of punishment in front of the net, and I don't want him to re-injure his shoulder.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian (who goes in front of the net)
Edler - Kesler

Raymond - Schroeder - Booth
Garrison - Bieksa?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I think I'd prefer Kesler not being the guy in front of the net once he comes back. He takes a lot of punishment in front of the net, and I don't want him to re-injure his shoulder.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian (who goes in front of the net)
Edler - Kesler

Raymond - Schroeder - Booth
Garrison - Bieksa?

I'd be kind of reluctant to use Kesler in front of the net too, but hey if it works...

Wouldn't mind those PP units, second unit just has failure written all over it, not knocking you because it's our best options after Sedins, Kesler, Kassian, but I just don't see it working at all.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA

I don't think it's the fact that they are lefties per se. Ehrhoff is a lefty. Campbell is a lefty - watch the Garrison highlights from last year, he feeds him some perfect passes. I think it's partially the type of players they are, they aren't that good at that short set up pass, but also it is what they're being asked to do. That is, think about passing first.

That said, I agree with splitting them up.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I'd be kind of reluctant to use Kesler in front of the net too, but hey if it works...

Wouldn't mind those PP units, second unit just has failure written all over it, not knocking you because it's our best options after Sedins, Kesler, Kassian, but I just don't see it working at all.

Ehh, if the 2nd unit doesn't work, we still have Burrows and Higgins who could get a shot.

And a thing that could work well with Kesler is that he could very quickly go from the point to in front of the net. Could catch defenders off guard with his speed and willingness to crash the net.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
Ehh, if the 2nd unit doesn't work, we still have Burrows and Higgins who could get a shot.

And a thing that could work well with Kesler is that he could very quickly go from the point to in front of the net. Could catch defenders off guard with his speed and willingness to crash the net.

I'd replace Raymond with Burrows there. Raymond I think held on to the puck a bit too long a couple of times on the PP tonight, I think Burrows is a better playmaker.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I think Newell Brown needs to be replaced.
Our PP has sucked since January of last year.

VanEric

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
It's obviously all Newell Brown's fault. Sure he was a PP wizard and did a lot of good things but obviously if we change him, we'll have a great PP.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
watching the pp a lot closer, and i honestly think it's the players' problem at this point

the main thing wrong with our pp is lack of urgency which in turn leads to ****** execution. on the top unit, the sedins are just standing there like they're waiting for the other team to give them a free lane to the net, and in the mean time they keep trying half assed passes and shots that just get blocked and cleared. same with the 2nd unit, except it's more to do with them just being too damn slow to process where to pass the puck.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Too much passing, not enough shooting. Higgins' goal is a prime example of just firing it on net, which Lapierre did, and Higgins was in good position to tip it home. First unit seems to always be looking for the cute plays. Feed it to Edler, and let it fly then crash the net.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
agreed with everyone. either fire newell brown. find another pp coach. the first unit is too predicatable. too much passing not enough shots therefore opponents have time to take away the shooting lanes and clear it. gotta see garrison's bomb from the point. need someone to set him up.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
In regards to the PP... To me it comes down to the Sedin's. Our 2nd unit has pitched in but we've basically live and die with them. They aren't up to their top notch form yet and thus PP isn't clicking.

Also Burrows is a FANTASTIC player who can do a lot of things. Unfortunately he just CAN'T do a PP. He's got the skill and the smarts but whether it's first unit or second unit he just looks out of place.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
burrows is useless on the PP, i'd honestly have hansen up there instead of him

i still can't believe that chicago game where we put him on the 5on3, ****in stupidest move this season

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00