Sparks needs to be better...

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Sparks takes me back to the days when the leafs had so many goalie problems. Gustavsson, Raycroft, Toskala. Aubin. Pogge. Sparks would fit right in their as a god awful tender who you are afraid every shot against would go in.

**** I thought with getting Andersen we’d be over this feeling.

I remember the good times when we had reliable backups: Damian Rhodes, Ben Scrivens, James Reimer, and most recently Curtis McElhinney

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Detailed story. Leafs backup a lot worse than the backup they put on waivers

So the Leafs are seasoning a goalie on the fly, like they will and are doing the same with the forward and dmen during our contending window: Kapanen Johnsson Gauthier Dermott Oz Liljegren Sandin Borgman etc.

It’s what teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh and Nashville have been doing for years.

Reactions: Menzinger

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
So the Leafs are seasoning a goalie on the fly, like they will and are doing the same with the forward and dmen during our contending window: Kapanen Johnsson Gauthier Dermott Oz Liljegren Sandin Borgman etc.

It’s what teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh and Nashville have been doing for years.
How about seasoning a younger goalie with potential? How about a backup goalie winning a spot by playing the best in training camp and pre-season?

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
How about seasoning a younger goalie with potential? How about a backup goalie winning a spot by playing the best in training camp and pre-season?
Preseason is a recency bias.

He is still 6-2-1 .905SV% and a 3.00 GAA

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Preseason is a recency bias.

He is still 6-2-1 .905SV% and a 3.00 GAA
Ok....so what. He lets in a lot of weak goals. He had a terrible game against a weak team. Mcbackup had a great year last year. No recency bias there. The job should have been his until he lost it.

Reactions: The Cobra

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Ok....so what. He lets in a lot of weak goals. He had a terrible game against a weak team. Mcbackup had a great year last year. No recency bias there. The job should have been his until he lost it.
He’s 38. Now we have years to season Sparks.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

It’s hardly uncommon in pro sports for a team to gamble on an up and coming rookie though. Sometimes it works, sometimes it flops.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Exactly. It’s about maximizing assets.

Personally I’d be pretty upset if the Leafs decided to throw away Sparks, an asset who they’ve spent years developing and was just the top goalie in the AHL just because of a couple subpar preseason games

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
It’s hardly uncommon in pro sports for a team to gamble on an up and coming rookie though. Sometimes it works, sometimes it flops.
Gamble away on a forward or Dman that can be sheltered. A team that has aspirations for a championship needs a backup goalie that can step in and be reliable.

Reactions: The Cobra

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
It looks and appears to some as a knee jerk reaction thread but it’s not. Win/loss record aside every shot on net is cringe worthy and was in training camp as well. I don’t think keeping Sparks based on his and Mac’s age is a valid excuse when back-up goalies are interchangeable every couple years anyway

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sparks has a core flaw that isn't easily fixable. He will not, and seemingly can not, stop moving in the net. It is for this reason he has no rebound control, he flings himself at the puck and it just goes wherever it wants, rather than calmly directing it. The second and third goals last night are interesting because you can make an excuse that the pucks were tipped. You'll notice though, than rather than square up and eliminate space, he's moving and creating holes everywhere, so tips go right through him.

The kid has heart, many are pulling for him. He's also a Dubas concept, so there are many who defend Sparks because god forbid Kyle is human, that angle is a completely irrelevant sideshow. But, if you really just watch him play, it is readily apparent that this is probably not a long term situation. He can GROW into the job, but that is a theoretical hope, the fact of the matter is the reality of today, Sparks isn't good enough.

Dubas made a good move finally shoring up the goalie depth. Hutch is clearly an AHL move, but our brass is smart enough to have also added a decent backup plan, at least another short term option should this project go completely sideways.

The kid has many flaws that you quickly associate with other terrible goalies that have rolled in here. Doesn't track the puck well or has lapses in concentration on a regular basis (Gustavsson, Bernier). Makes himself relatively small given his frame (Reimer), relies on reflexes and has so many holes in his structure that he needs to make spectacular looking saves on routine plays (Gustavsson), and like you said, moves erratically and constantly in the net in and out of position (Reimer, Gustavsson). Of course, this is also a response to a humiliating blowout loss on a back to back as well.

That said, I'm not accusing Dubas of making Sparks his ego project. If Sparks was the AHL goalie with NHL potential we are hoping him to be, a goalie like this has the potential to be re-sold at a premium down the line, so this is an asset management thing. If we groomed him to be a solid 1B goalie option, the return value could be like a Cam Talbot, Martin Jones, Frederik Andersen, etc. and that's a mid to late first rounder. McBackup and Pickard don't have that potential, so it wasn't worth keeping them. It's a long term play which may not materialize.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Gamble away on a forward or Dman that can be sheltered. A team that has aspirations for a championship needs a backup goalie that can step in and be reliable.

The Leafs were a lock to make the playoffs from the start of the season. I’d say this is the better situation to take a risk than any other.

If things were to totally flop you can always make a trade by the TDL

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Exactly. It’s about maximizing assets.

Personally I’d be pretty upset if the Leafs decided to throw away Sparks, an asset who they’ve spent years developing and was just the top goalie in the AHL just because of a couple subpar preseason games

Agreed. Though I never understood why they kept Sparks for so long when they've been pretty casual about letting Bibeau go.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
2 were point blank shots in the slot.

2 were very funky tips, one of them screened.

so none of the four were "bad" goals.....but, with a little more solid positioning he could have had all four of them hit him for fairly simple saves. you'd hope that at least half of them would have.

So not a great performance.

Then again, he also made a number of dandy saves.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Gramps here. Back in my day if i let a guy walk down broadway past me and i missed the hit like OZ did I was stapled to bench for rest of game. And maybe the next game too. you simply can't allow someone to take your net like that. So before you blame our rookie backup goalie you need to look at our defense. It is so obvious we lack defensive defenders who can make the simple plays.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Gramps here. My suggestion dont rag on a NHL rookie goalie. He was not reason we lost. Even with freddy in net we lose that one. We could not adjust to what Isle's did to us. I figured it out about 5 minutes in. But no adjustment by Babs until 3rd period. That was not good NHL coaching. Babs and DJ its on you. Go Leafs Go!

This is a body of work that goes beyond the game against The Islanders.

It's really hard to also classify him as a "rookie goalie". I mean there are 18-19 year old recently drafted goalies, and then there is Sparks.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018

It's really hard to also classify him as a "rookie goalie". I mean there are 18-19 year old recently drafted goalies, and then there is Sparks.
I was only talking about last night. But 18-19 year old goalies who make it right away are Fleury, Price and Gibson. Very few but not enough talent in todays game and too many teams but even so most goalies even the greats like Bower, Plante played in minors for a few years to learn the pro game and then have their rookie year later on. Bottom line he is a rookie learning ropes in NHL. Everything happens faster from junior to minor pro and then again to NHL. There is an adjustment for most except the greats.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
Sparks did hold us in the game in the first where we came out down only 1 - 0, it so easily could have been 3 - 0 after the first. He also played B2B, even Freddy doesn't ever play B2B. I think he can improve his puck control, the training staff has goalie coach's for that reason. I remember how bad Freddy was in his first month with us, good thing we didn't give up on him.

Last edited:

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
People forget Sparks was instrumental in getting us Mathews. He played the last part of the tank season to perfection. I am pulling for him but had concerns even watching him play with the Marlies. Looks so small in the net. Over commits way to early. You give nhl guys a look and they will kill you. I think he had been lucky that is lack of rebound control hasnt cost him more. I am sure babcock is grinding his teeth behimd the scenes.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Really tough blaming him last night. It was uncharted territory playing in the back to back situation so I'll continue to give him the benefit of the doubt going forward

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

How many 18-19 year olds goalies are in the NHL right now?

Reactions: Mork

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad