Post-Game Talk: Sparks Makes History: First Leafs Goalie to get a Shutout in Debut - 3-0 Leafs Win

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
I can't processes this....

He looks like he's pushing off the inside left pad .... is his skates even touching in the ice?
It looks like he planted himself on his left skate and just pulled himself up... those are some strong adductors he's got if that's the case.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Congrats to Sparks...! ...And for a great first NHL game & shut-out...!

Sparks Shut-Out: Leafs Burn Oilers 3-0 - November 30th 2015 - TML

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
They've got the burn the boats thing going, they just haven't mastered the disembark part of it.

Probably seemed fire wagon the way the Leafs were able to skate around in the Oilers zone Hammarstrom style.

lol, you mean with eggs in their pockets and still have them in one piece after coming out of the corner? Good old reference ULF.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

and, as time ticked away in the third period, the kid still had that shutout going. Then it happened. By the grace of johnny bower, it happened. It happened, and people (and you people, you know who you are) should be ashamed that it did. With three minutes to go multiple leafs fans, and not just one or two, but great clumps and streams of them — and many with the audacity to actually be wearing a leafs jersey — began heading for the exits.

Meanwhile, down on the ice, sparks was holding on for a 3-0 win, becoming the first leafs rookie in franchise history to earn a shutout in his first nhl game. Sparks was also the first star, and did a twirl of the rink, handing his stick over the glass to some starry-eyed kid before being interviewed near the team’s bench. “thank you,†he whispered to the crowd, tears welling in his eyes.

Thank you.

But thank you for what? One of the cardinal rules of fandom is that you never leave a game early. One of the sad truths about toronto is: Leafs fans both arrive to games late, and leave early. A true sports fan would have recognized what was at stake monday. A true leafs fans would have known (sadly) that sparks’ shutout bid might be the high point of another has-been of a hockey season in this town. Alas, the suits, in their hurry to get ahead of traffic, presumably, missed it.

Monday’s early exodus — and not just from the lower bowl seats — reinforced the sense that the air canada centre isn’t a hockey rink, but a corporate tomb. Complete with in-seat dining options, where the assorted big shots go to be seen, but are seldom seen actually paying attention to what’s happening on the ice.

But we, us lucky fools who stuck around monday, got to cheer, and not for another season destined to be lost, but for a great bit of sports theatre — and for maple leafs history-being-made. Garret sparks might never win another nhl game. But he will remember his first win, as will me and my dad, and the rest of the fans.

And as for those who left early? Boo.

Lexus

OWN THE MOMENT.
Jan 29, 2009
I'll post it here as well... Thought this was great to see. :handclap:

During his media scrum on Wednesday in Winnipeg, Sparks talked about how the idea for the pad design came about. He was then asked if he’d like to meet Kidd one day and after he responded yes it was pointed out that Kidd was standing in the back of the scrum.

“I think it’s so cool. My phone was blowing up the other day talking about the kid in Toronto wearing your swag and wearing your gear,†Kidd said.

“I hope you don’t mind,†Sparks adorably responded.

Story via PuckDaddy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad