Sparks is an NHL goalie for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 262271

Oh I certainly remember the "ECHL" goalie posts. One of those times where you should've just not clicked the post reply button and deleted what you typed. :laugh:

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
The thing is I'm not basing my opinion on his win/loss record. He is shakey when the other team moves the puck well or gets to the rebounds.
I'm judging him on his skills.
Can they improve? Yes. Will they improve? Time will tell
Andersen used to be like that as well. His rebound was not great and used to over commit on shots, but over the years he seems to have greatly improved his rebound control and his positioning is phenomenal. I can expect the same to occur to Sparks if he has to same work ethic as Andersen.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Ultimately it came down to the guy whose career is almost over vs the guy who has potential and is just starting.

I'd consider their performance so far essentially a wash.

Reactions: Lauro

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The bottom line is that it is really damn hard to fluke a career AHL .927sv%.

It wasn't a fluke. Sparks is one of the top AHL goalies. But I think it goes without saying that doesn't mean he'll be an NHL quality goalie.

I'm glad it's working out with Sparks here, and I'm glad McBackup is having success in CAR, and as I suspected, there's now talk of McBackup being Carolina's starter moving forward as Darling and Mrazek are crap. I believe it was Freidge or CJ that said CAR is looking to cut ties with Darling on headlines. No idea how they'd manage to get someone to trade for him without 50% retention, so it's likely he'll just be buried.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It doesn't even really matter that he's been the best of the backup options. He would have been the right choice even if he was winless and terrible so far. I can't believe people freaked out about keeping him

You'd have a hard time convincing people keeping Sparks was the right move if he was 0-5 and a sub .900 sv% when McBackup is 6-2 and has a .919 sv%.

At the end of the day, we just need a backup goalie who wins. I'm glad Sparks is 4/5 now. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
It doesn't even really matter that he's been the best of the backup options. He would have been the right choice even if he was winless and terrible so far. I can't believe people freaked out about keeping him
45 pages for a backup goaltender. Does Marner and Tavares get that many discussion about them?

Sparks was the obvious choice here. 4-1 with a .925 sv% and young goaltender with tons of upside. If he can show Andersen level of work ethic on his weaknesses, we potentially have a solid choice for starter role if Andersen decides to leave elsewhere.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
You'd have a hard time convincing people keeping Sparks was the right move if he was 0-5 and a sub .900 sv% when McBackup is 6-2 and has a .919 sv%.

At the end of the day, we just need a backup goalie who wins. I'm glad Sparks is 4/5 now. Hopefully he keeps it up.
Just so asinine to say it would have been the right decision regardless of how he performed. All that matters is performance. If he was 0-5 and we were 9 points back of TB he’d already be gone....period.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Just so asinine to say it would have been the right decision regardless of how he performed. All that matters is performance. If he was 0-5 and we were 9 points back of TB he’d already be gone....period.
I'm sure you would happily evaluate the decision as a complete failure if Sparks had a poor 5 games, but that would be silly

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
.924% and 4-1 this season. Hopefully this lasts. As part of the group that was sceptical of sparks I'm glad he's proving me wrong.

Positionally and eye test wise he looks a lot better and more fluid since the start of the season. Still can look and do better.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'm sure you would happily evaluate the decision as a complete failure if Sparks had a poor 5 games, but that would be silly
He’d be on waivers, my state of mind is irrelevant. But, he’s 4-1, hence we move forward with some hope. That’s how I roll, unlike some ;)

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It wasn't a fluke. Sparks is one of the top AHL goalies. But I think it goes without saying that doesn't mean he'll be an NHL quality goalie.

I'm glad it's working out with Sparks here, and I'm glad McBackup is having success in CAR, and as I suspected, there's now talk of McBackup being Carolina's starter moving forward as Darling and Mrazek are crap. I believe it was Freidge or CJ that said CAR is looking to cut ties with Darling on headlines. No idea how they'd manage to get someone to trade for him without 50% retention, so it's likely he'll just be buried.

Speaks more about how awful those other guys are. Tell me which good team would have McElhinney as their starter? There are none.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He played fine last night. The jury is still out to see if he can play the way he did last night consistently or was it just a one of. I hope he can give us solid goaltending.

LeafsStorm

Oct 22, 2011
Would it be a bad idea to start him against Boston and see if he can keep a hot streak going? Don't want to over work Freddy, after all.

Reactions: Intact

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Andersen used to be like that as well. His rebound was not great and used to over commit on shots, but over the years he seems to have greatly improved his rebound control and his positioning is phenomenal. I can expect the same to occur to Sparks if he has to same work ethic as Andersen.
Andersen always had better rebound control than sparks, especially by the time he got here. Also, andersen always tracked the puck better moved better he better save selection etc.
Imo it's not fair to compare the 2 as one had starter potential and the other has backup potential

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Andersen always had better rebound control than sparks, especially by the time he got here. Also, andersen always tracked the puck better moved better he better save selection etc.
Imo it's not fair to compare the 2 as one had starter potential and the other has backup potential

Age 23

Andersen NHL: ---
Sparks NHL: ---

Andersen AHL: 47gms, .929sv%
Sparks AHL: 31gms, .922sv%

Age 24

Andersen NHL: 28gms, .923sv%
Sparks NHL: ----

Andersen AHL: 4gms, .939sv%
Sparks AHL: 43gms, .936sv%

Age 25

Andersen NHL: 54gms, .914sv%
Sparks NHL: 5gms, .925sv%

Reactions: Paradoc

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
From Corsica

Sparks...
  • 23 low danger shots against ~ 9 medium danger shot against ~ 2 high danger shot against
Flyers ...
  • 16 low danger shots against ~ 17 medium danger shot against ~ 8 high danger shot against

it was a very easy game for a Leaf goalie, and good for stats watchers who do not understand context, Sparks was untested and padded his stats

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
From Corsica

Sparks...
  • 23 low danger shots against ~ 9 medium danger shot against ~ 2 high danger shot against
Flyers ...
  • 16 low danger shots against ~ 17 medium danger shot against ~ 8 high danger shot against

it was a very easy game for a Leaf goalie, and good for stats watchers who do not understand context, Sparks was untested and padded his stats

From Corsica

5v5

High Danger

Andersen 79.8sv%
Sparks 86.4sv%

Medium Danger

Andersen 94.4sv%
Sparks 92.2sv%

Low Danger

Andersen 99.1sv%
Sparks 97.3sv%

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Age 23

Andersen NHL: ---
Sparks NHL: ---

Andersen AHL: 47gms, .929sv%
Sparks AHL: 31gms, .922sv%

Age 24

Andersen NHL: 28gms, .923sv%
Sparks NHL: ----

Andersen AHL: 4gms, .939sv%
Sparks AHL: 43gms, .936sv%

Age 25

Andersen NHL: 54gms, .914sv%
Sparks NHL: 5gms, .925sv%
How does this show rebound control, puck tracking skill, etc?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
From Corsica

Sparks...
Flyers ...

Who cares? Bottom line is that he hasn't cost the team anything so far. That's the only thing that matters.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
From Corsica

5v5

High Danger

Andersen 79.8sv%
Sparks 86.4sv%

Medium Danger

Andersen 94.4sv%
Sparks 92.2sv%

Low Danger

Andersen 99.1sv%
Sparks 97.3sv%

you're quoting me, asking me to engage, Zeke?

Andersen plays with the weight of Leaf nation on his shoulders, he is supposed to win every game against the elite teams. Sparks doesn't play with that pressure. It's not right to compare the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad