News Article: Sour Grapes: Lou not happy with how he lost Tavares

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Lou is a control freak. He obviously didn't like the fact that his team wasn't given preferential treatment during the interview period leading up to free agency.

This is the new reality in the NHL and the league will be better off for it. If teams want to avoid this issue, they better lock up their pending UFAs well in advance.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
the only reason the teams went to him instead of the other way around is because he's one of the very few players that have that kind of leverage. almost none of them hit UFA at this age so no shit teams are going to line up and take a swing.

Reactions: Kelly

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
But it would have been just fine had JT re-signed after the interviews

True, then it would be: "We always believed in the process, we strongly appreciate Tavares re-signing with us and have no ill will towards him for exercising his option to interview with other teams."

What exactly is wrong with the interview process? What was so disappointing about it?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Wow is all I can say after reading him say that. Now I will always like Lou for acquiring Frederik Andersen and trading away Dion Phaneuf without retaining any of his contract, however he comes off as a baby complaining about the interview process.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
They had all the time before that to sign him and then complain about one week.

He should really be thankful that the Leafs for letting him take the job with the Islanders and not waiting him wait till after the free agency process.

We let him talk to Tavares and have dinner with him and his agent while he was still an advisor for the Leafs.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
old.jpg

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I will say that the interview process isn't supposed to yield finite deals. I mean, Jack Johnson had agreed to a contract on day one, all details included. That's not supposed to be allowed.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I'm not sure why they are so bitter. By the sounds of it the Leafs did them a favour by taking the slowest guy in the league who couldn't score without the help of Barzal.

Yeah, don't get it. Tavares is a declining talent that isn't even that good anymore.

Islanders and their fans are ungrateful. We do them a favour by taking him off their hands and all they do is complain.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I assume he's talking about teams making actual offers when the system was put in place saying you couldn't do that. That being said I'm sure he's only upset about that because Tavares left and he had no problem making an offer to Komarov and other free agents during this period when technically he wasn't supposed to.

Reactions: glue

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It's an interview window, he got interviewed. I'm not sure what Lou is talking about here. What would be different? Sounds to me like he's just bitter that he got outdone.

I'm reading into this that the Islanders had to do a interview just like every other team and Lou felt that put them at a disadvantage...not sure how that makes sense but that is what I get from Lou's comments. What I don't get is they had years to close this issue out, I think Snow gave Lou a big bag of cow poo and said , here make this poo into a big gold nugget.

In the end there needed to be a drop dead date where JT either signed with the Islanders or they traded him. It would have been an unpopular move but it is certainly a better option than getting nothing for him. I feel the same about JVR, Bozie and Komarov. If they have value to the team as a roster player, offer them a contract. If they have no value as a roster player in your future plans, then trade them and get something back. Did JT have a NTC?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad