Movies: Soul (Pixar) - available on Disney+ December 25th, 2020

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's weird that there are two Pixar animated features releasing only 3 months apart. The target audiences look slightly different, with Onward being the safer family fare and this seemingly more adult-targeted and serious-themed, but still. It's also a little strange that the more mass appeal one is releasing in March and this one in the Summer around the time that Toy Story 4 was released. I would've expected it the other way around.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I can see certain demographics asking where Jesus fits in to all of this.

Kind of ballsy to do any kind of film about the afterlife in this day and age.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I can see certain demographics asking where Jesus fits in to all of this.

Kind of ballsy to do any kind of film about the afterlife in this day and age.

It also seems gutsy to me because a lot of black families, at least in the States, are Church going. To them, the film may pose a conundrum: do they support the film because it's partly about black culture or stay away because of the afterlife theme? If they stay away, will enough other demographics even come out to make it profitable? I suspect that the international box office isn't going to be too strong for this one, either, so the domestic reception will probably be more important than usual. It'll be interesting to see how well it does.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not surprised to see Pixar take this route since they just made a movie about consciousness, so ultimately the soul is the next part of the meta-physics nature that they've seemed to be writing about. The movie looks fantastic though, much better than whatever their "hunt for second half of father" one is.

It also seems gutsy to me because a lot of black families, at least in the States, are Church going. To them, the film may pose a conundrum:
Isn't the COO bloke of Pixar Christian or something? The same bloke who made Inside Out as well? Wouldn't be surprised to see him do an afterlife movie in all honesty, but as you lot saw he's a band teacher which in Black culture has a lot of "Soul Music", so I think they're going to tie those aspects together.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Isn't the COO bloke of Pixar Christian or something? The same bloke who made Inside Out as well? Wouldn't be surprised to see him do an afterlife movie in all honesty, but as you lot saw he's a band teacher which in Black culture has a lot of "Soul Music", so I think they're going to tie those aspects together.

You're right. He (Pete Docter) is the COO of Pixar, was the director and writer of Inside Out and is the director, executive producer and screenwriter of this film. He's also a devout Christian, but has said that he'll never put an explicitly religious message in a movie because he understands that moviegoers don't want to be lectured to.

I'm guessing that the afterlife in this movie will be general enough and have enough unanswered questions that most viewers will be able to fill in the gaps with their own beliefs and not feel like the film contradicts them too much. Pixar is awfully good about striking a balance that doesn't turn off anyone, so I wouldn't be surprised if this even ends up being a movie that both the religious and the irreligious like.

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
It looks like this is going to be released on Disney+ on Christmas. On the free service, and not an additional charge like Mulan. Its going to be a popular option for families at home that won't be keen on going to the theatres.

Early reviews are also out, with it getting praised as one of Pixar's best. Looks like they're opting to release this year in part as Disney's play for awards. It'll be a very light year for movies, so, there may be a shot at a best picture nomination.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
It looks like this is going to be released on Disney+ on Christmas. On the free service, and not an additional charge like Mulan. Its going to be a popular option for families at home that won't be keen on going to the theatres.

Early reviews are also out, with it getting praised as one of Pixar's best. Looks like they're opting to release this year in part as Disney's play for awards. It'll be a very light year for movies, so, there may be a shot at a best picture nomination.

Will it be up against that movie where Will Smith turns into a pigeon though?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Pete Docter should really just director every single Pixar movie, that was fantastic especially for you lot that loved "Inside Out" (honestly felt like an indirect sequel than anything else). Definitely the weirdest Pixar movie they've made and at times I don't think it felt like one, but the concept was once again brilliantly done by Docter. I also thought this was Pixar's movie with the "strongest" music/soundtrack and I am not talking about the jazz parts.
But damn, what a cliffhanger ending and they had to make sure we had no idea who 22 was.

Reactions: Thucydides

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Pete Docter should really just director every single Pixar movie, that was fantastic especially for you lot that loved "Inside Out" (honestly felt like an indirect sequel than anything else). Definitely the weirdest Pixar movie they've made and at times I don't think it felt like one, but the concept was once again brilliantly done by Docter. I also thought this was Pixar's movie with the "strongest" music/soundtrack and I am not talking about the jazz parts.
But damn, what a cliffhanger ending and they had to make sure we had no idea who 22 was.

Not sure about the spoiler tag, but was 22 someone we're supposed to know? I don't catch every pixar movie.

Watched it tonight at dinner, great adult Pixar movie but will probably be a bit boring for kids. I also thought this was something that already screened, didn't realize it was just coming out now.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Just watched it. Was very good but I found Inside Out, which is a similar movie, much better. The Bing Bong part alone was really powerful, and felt Soul didn’t strike that level of drama. But still had some nice parts, and sent a message to appreciate life more.

Not the best Pixar movie but certainly worthy to watch. Now just waiting for the Body movie by Pixar.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
It's my favourite Pixar film, imho. And that's saying a lot because they are a lot of great Pixar movies and I love 95% of them (exception being Cars trilogy and Monsters University). It always amazes me how Pixar just churns out so many exceptional films. Its nice to see them get back on that exceptional track after Onward.

The film truly tackles big ideas, maybe too big for some kids. I think adults will enjoy this more, as others have sad, but its great that kids are getting films that challenge them and teach them valuable lessons; and even adults can learn as well.

From dealing with depression in Inside Out, to never forgetting our dead loved ones in Coco and to now tackling the fragility and wondrousness of life in Soul; it's great to see a studio eager to do such complex themes for kids and their families instead of throwing fart jokes at the screen.

This film is a spark for me in a year of disappointing films. Absolutely loved it!

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Also, what's with Pixar and making me cry. Inside Out, Coco, Up, Toy Story (3 especially of all), Finding Nemo. Damn, they got this down to a science.

Even Onward from earlier this year packed a pretty good gut punch at the end. Hit a little harder for me as a father of two boys, and someone who also had a very protective relationship with his younger brothers.

Pixar has had a pretty good year after a run of very forgettable sequels (despite their profitability).

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not sure about the spoiler tag, but was 22 someone we're supposed to know? I don't catch every pixar movie.

Watched it tonight at dinner, great adult Pixar movie but will probably be a bit boring for kids. I also thought this was something that already screened, didn't realize it was just coming out now.
Not really, I just thought you'd find out who it turns out to be. I understand that there are some huge Pixar freaks out there that think every movie is somehow related and I thought the ending to this one proves that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad