Soo Greyhounds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eamon5

Sep 1, 2007
So it appears to me that the lineup the team has headin into next season would be something like;

Katchouk-Frost-Gettinger
Kopacka-Hayton-Verbeek
Gritz-Kupari-Martin
?-Fowler-?
'16 draft picks: Hayami (6th), Weir (7th), Jacklin (10th), Trott (14th)
'17 draft picks: Carroll (4th), Beecher (5th), Mackay (5th), Johnston (6th), Kartye (8th), Dreger (12th)

Carroll-Timmins
Sandin-Hollowell
Demeo-Leguerrier
'16: Wale (4th)
'17: Calisti (3rd), Seguin (11th), MacMahon (13th)

Raaymakers
Villalta
(Mamone ('16 16th), Taylor ('17 9th), Porter ('17 15th)

That would leave one spot open for an overager if the hounds wanted to go get one. The question here is where is the hole? Raftis could move either of the goaltenders (im assuming they'll both want to start and be a number 1) in a package for an older scorer or defenceman.
Personally I don't see Demeo or Martin staying on the team the whole season unless there was a MASSIVE improvement in their game over the course of the offseason/preseason but there were a half dozen kids that really shined bright in developement camp so I'm not worried.

Does Raftis get a defenceman? A forward? Leave it and trust the young kids? Anyone know of any other prospects that either committed to the US or if any former year's picks are looking at coming to the Sault?

According to Elite Prospects, Sandin says he is playing for Rogle next year.

smalt021

Oct 19, 2011
STL
According to Elite Prospects, Sandin says he is playing for Rogle next year.

Eliteprospectsâ€ÂVerified account @eliteprospects

Rasmus Sandin (2018 #NHLDraft) on being picked by @OHLHoundPower "No, I am not going. I will play for Rögle next season"

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
Kupari

Eliteprospects.com has him playing for Karpat of the SM Liiga next season. According to @finnprospects on twitter he signed a two year contract with them in May 2017. Though nothing is official and things can always change, it doesn't look positive that either will report... I'd be surprised if either came to the OHL until they are drafted next year (then their NHL team may sign them and force them to play in NA).

It is interesting to note that Drew Bannister played for Karpat back in 02-03, might be able to influence the kid?

You never know; as these kids look into the amount of talent the Greyhounds organization ships to the NHL every year, as Raftis talks to their respective agents and the fact that the hounds should be one of the top teams next season - they could change their minds.

If not, I think the Hounds need to shop for a defender and potentially a forward (using one of the goalies as trade return).

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Can anyone speak of Jordan Smith now ex coach/gm of the birds. Signed on with the wolves

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Can anyone speak of Jordan Smith now ex coach/gm of the birds. Signed on with the wolves

He's a former Hounds player and had a future as a possible NHL player before an eye injury ended his career. He's very tenacious as a coach and executive, much like he was as a player. He'll work hard in his role with the Wolves and has the smarts to succeed.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
So assuming neither Import shows up here to play what do you think Raftis will have to do to add to this lineup for the upcoming season?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
So assuming neither Import shows up here to play what do you think Raftis will have to do to add to this lineup for the upcoming season?

If Sergachev is returned by Tampa to Windsor he would fit perfectly for what the Soo needs. If the Soo isn't getting an import to come there it would be a good match.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

That Kupari has signed with Oulun Karpat SM liiga team not necessarily mean that he'll play in SM liiga.
He's still A junior eligible so he can play Karpat's U20 team.

But it wouldn't be first time when junior player who has SM liiga contract comes to CHL.
Vili Saarijarvi signed with Karpat spring 2014 but he never played in SM liiga he went to USHL ( Greenbay Gamblers) and played there.

Then he got drafted to NHL ( Detroit Red-Wings 3rd rounder 2015) and Reg-Wings wanted him to CHL so he played in Flint Firebirds season 2015-2016.
Also Janne Kuokkanen ( Carolina Hurricanes 2nd rounder 2016) had liiga contract with Karpat last season but he played in London Knights.

So maybe Kupari comes to Greyhounds but we'll see that when CHL preseason starts.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
That Kupari has signed with Oulun Karpat SM liiga team not necessarily mean that he'll play in SM liiga.
He's still A junior eligible so he can play Karpat's U20 team.

But it wouldn't be first time when junior player who has SM liiga contract comes to CHL.
Vili Saarijarvi signed with Karpat spring 2014 but he never played in SM liiga he went to USHL ( Greenbay Gamblers) and played there.

Then he got drafted to NHL ( Detroit Red-Wings 3rd rounder 2015) and Reg-Wings wanted him to CHL so he played in Flint Firebirds season 2015-2016.
Also Janne Kuokkanen ( Carolina Hurricanes 2nd rounder 2016) had liiga contract with Karpat last season but he played in London Knights.

So maybe Kupari comes to Greyhounds but we'll see that when CHL preseason starts.

Thanks I hope you're right...it would be bad if BOTH players didn't show up that's for sure.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Thanks I hope you're right...it would be bad if BOTH players didn't show up that's for sure.

That does Rasmus Kupari show up to Greyhounds depends a lot of that does Karpat has spot to him in their liiga roster.

I'm not Oulun Karpat fan in SM liiga so i can't tell much of Karpat's center depth.
Kupari is one of top ranked Finnish prospects in 2018 NHL draft and he was one of three underage players ( 2000 born) in Finland's U18 WJC team in Slovakia this past April.

CHL import draft is like playing poker sometimes you win ( player shows up) and sometimes you lose ( player won't show up).
However preseason in Finland starts late July / early August so lets wait and see what's going happen.

staubitz

Apr 30, 2015
Anyone know when the Red & White game has been scheduled? Has it been announced yet?

hfp

Jul 30, 2009
SSM
That was : 2 months ago

Thats because he committed, and nothing has changed.... He doesnt have to refresh his commitment every week lol.

He is playing with his older brother, and i dont see him coming this year.

Kapuri is coming.

HockeyHero96

Nov 1, 2015
Thats because he committed, and nothing has changed.... He doesnt have to refresh his commitment every week lol.

Kapuri is coming.

Source that he's coming and it said in the paper that the door not shut on sandin

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Kapuri is coming.

Is it officially confirmed Kupari really is coming?

Last edited:

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Gritz is from Cranberry, PA which is less than two hours from Erie, maybe that factored into it somewhat.

Does Gritz play center? Erie is very thin at C with the graduation of Strome, Cirelli, and Pettit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad