Soo Greyhounds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
It’s a great learning experience for your young guys and they’ll come back stronger and hungrier next year.

Same goes for Villalta. Don’t get too down on him. He certainly showed flashes during this series. Like most young players, being consistent is key.

He must be decent anyhow or he would not have been a 3rd round pick in the NHL draft by an organization (Los Angeles) that has a pretty good record in recent years with developing goalie talent.

He had a great regular season, but it was awfully frustrating to watch him give away games 3 and 6. If he's just ok or a bit below average in those games then the Greyhounds are in the Memorial Cup right now. It's hard to get over a player embarrassing himself and costing the team a berth in the big tournament. The rest of the guys had their struggles, but their play certainly merited a spot in the Cup and it's unfortunate to see them denied because of one player.

Hopefully both Villalta and the team learn from the experience and come out better because of it.

Former Fan

Dec 1, 2017
No one else notice that Stillman had both feet inside the blueline and the puck was more than a foot outside the blueline when he backed into the Sault zone on the entry of the Sault zone on the 4 Hamilton goal. I thought this bush league was reviewing all goals. I not crazy I can stop my PVR to see it I can't believe it wasn't called back.

Reactions: BeliveauFan4ever

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
No one else notice that Stillman had both feet inside the blueline and the puck was more than a foot outside the blueline when he backed into the Sault zone on the entry of the Sault zone on the 4 Hamilton goal. I thought this bush league was reviewing all goals. I not crazy I can stop my PVR to see it I can't believe it wasn't called back.

Just re-watched it. He was offside alright.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
IMG_2492.JPG

Puck never left the zone after Stillman's offside went undetected. Seconds later, Thomas scores on the wrap around.

Did they review this, or were they too busy high 5'n it?

Last edited:

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
View attachment 120921

Puck never left the zone after Stillman's offside went undetected. Seconds later, Thomas scores on the wrap around.

Is it really that hard to suck up your pride and disappointment and admit the better team won ?
like the hounds had a great season and good playoff run. Sometime you just run out of gas

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Karma.

In the Kitchener series, the Rangers had a goal called back after video review that said the play was offside. The league admitted they were wrong.

Schmarma.

Sherwood scored the game winner when he should have been sitting out for kneeing Sandin.

You got no karma; it's actually schmarma.

Josh Brown's bs is only that, BS.

Reactions: staubitz

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
It's an issue that will never go away no dog in the fight but I can't say I am surprised by this. I also can't say I'm surprised that sportsnet never brought it up.

At least review it.

The most unbelievable play was Sambrook getting WWF'd, and Hamilton gets an empty net goal instead of a penalty.

Nothing can be said here that live television didn't already illustrate. Bizarre non-call.

Hounds would have had a power play with 1:58 to go. Critical error.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
At least review it.

The most unbelievable play was Sambrook getting WWF'd, and Hamilton gets an empty net goal instead of a penalty.

Nothing can be said here that live television didn't already illustrate. Bizarre non-call.

Hounds would have had a power play with 1:58 to go. Critical error.

Im positive there were calls both ways that went uncalled. As per TSN radio commentary-- "they couldn't find a SSM or HB media personality that would agree SSM shoulda gotta got a PP late in period 2 after the scrum." The scrum that lead to a late 2nd period go ahead goal heading into the 3rd.

Sometimes the better team wins.

Last edited:

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Im positive there were calls both ways that went uncalled. As per TSN radio commentary-- "they couldn't find a SSM or HB media personality that would agree SSM shoulda gotta got a PP late in period 2 after the scrum. The scrum that lead to a late 2nd period go ahead goal heading into the 3rd.

Sometimes the better team wins.

Sorry but, LOL.

With 5 minutes to Katchouk was tripped, sent flying into the Fulcher. Another critical miss.

There were calls missed both ways, but im talking about blatant infractions.

Sometimes, a team gets screwed.

The video does not lie.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
That non call on the EN goal, is one of the most egregious officiating blunders you will see. OHL proving once again that it is a Mickey Mouse operation . Hounds and their fans have a right to be angry.. they got boned.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Dogsgottabite

Oct 9, 2015
That non call on the EN goal, is one of the most egregious officiating blunders you will see. OHL proving once again that it is a Mickey Mouse operation . Hounds and their fans have a right to be angry.. they got boned.
So funny that the fans of the supposed Number one team in the country are whining about a couple of none calls! In one game you had 7 power plays in a row! Shaddup! You were beaten by a team that wanted it more. Time to have some class.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006

Bingo.

Love these Knights jokers suggesting we not talk about the incredible, critical missed calls, because, well, you know, if the same things happened to their team, they'd just let it slide.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
So funny that the fans of the supposed Number one team in the country are whining about a couple of none calls! In one game you had 7 power plays in a row! Shaddup! You were beaten by a team that wanted it more. Time to have some class.

To your last sentence, follow your own advice.

You're not adding anything to this conversation, but you probably already knew that.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017

I am not a SSM fan lol. Just an OHL observer, who clearly saw that SSM got hosed. I rarely complain about officiating, but today was an embarrassing display, and it should be a major black eye for the league.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

No dog in the fight but you try and tell me that the incidents that fans here are talking about didn't loom large in what was a one goal game? Coming to another board telling their fans to have class? That's weird.

DavelPatsyuk

Feb 26, 2018
Sault Ste. Marie, ON

That’s perfectly legal as long as he had possession of the puck. You’re allowed to back into the zone. Unless a teammate entered the zone before the puck, it’s onside.

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
View attachment 120921

According to the amended offside rule, as stated by Hockey Canada, that play would have been deemed a legal goal.
Amendment to the original rule are indicated in bold print. Page 138

https://cdn.hockeycanada.ca/hockey-...Play/Downloads/201214_rulebook_casebook_e.pdf

a) Players of the attacking team must not precede the puck into the attacking zone.

NEW RULE 10.8 Offside
(a) Players of the attacking team must not precede the puck into the attacking zone

Note 1: If a pass deflects off a defending player, his skates or his stick, causing an at- tacking player to precede the puck into the attacking zone, the off-side rule shall apply.

Note 2: A player actually propelling the puck who shall cross his attacking blue line ahead of the puck shall not be considered off-side provided he has possession and control of the puck with at least one skate physically in contact with the ice surface in the neutral zone or attacking blue line before actually crossing the blue line into the attacking zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad