Soo Greyhounds 2015-16 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PacoSanchez15

Aug 27, 2008
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Time to get the season started. Here's some thoughts/observations:

- Camp officially opens today, only one missing is Jared McCann who's in Vancouver training and taking part in rookie/main camp. Rosters and schedule here:

- New coach Drew Bannister. Will he run the same style that Keefe did? Team was built on puck possession and speed, will that still be the way they play?

- Almost the entire 2015 draft class is attending camp this year, only two players are not attending. 8th round pick Ryan Horvath (attending a prep school in Quebec) and Randy Hernandez (playing for USNTDP). Likely only Hawel and DeMeo (the only two officially signed that we know of) make the team.

- OA's will be Guertler and Hore for sure, with the possibility one of Ganly or Bunting being the third.

- Even though there was no announcement that he had signed, new Russian import Tokarev is in town and taking part in training camp. He joins Bouramann as the teams two imports.

- Team is solid in net returning both Halverson and Raaymakers. Raaymakers being in his draft year might be pushing for a few more starts this year.

- Hounds are returning enough that I think they should challenge for the division again. Sarnia should be their closest competition IMO.

hfp

Jul 30, 2009
SSM
As I expected, Anthony DeMeo is a smooth skater, wow does he look good out there, he reminds me exactly like DeAngelo ( not even kidding, hes even wearing #7.....you'll see).

Hawel is a big boy wow. looks good too, really uses his body. Going to be fun to watch.

I REALLY enjoy Ryan Da Silva, this guy on the line has moves, hands , big boy, uses his body well , has a chip, he deserves a spot on the line up from what I've saw.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Been to several of the scrimmages, hoping to go tonight also. Lots of potential just from the rookies alone; Hounds should have some good young guns for the next few years for sure!

Notables:

DeMeo - as hfp stated, kids got DeAngelo written all over him based on what I've seen thus far, excited to watch him develop over the next several years!

Da Silva - another standout rookie defenseman, plays the puck well and I anticipate he'll be challenging for a roster spot this season, especially if Ganly doesn't come back

Kopacka - he played in a few games last season, however he seems to have easily stepped up his game this summer; he's a force to be reckoned with on the ice, controlling the puck alot in the scrimmages, and getting several nice goals, a few on the breakaway....I expect him to be a 10-20 goal scorer this year for sure

Hollowell - another kid who played with us several times last season. Watching him over the past few days, he's a sure lock for a roster spot I think. Plays the point well, even going in on net with the puck several times. He's a small guy, but shouldn't be underestimated

Wall - Don't feel like pulling up exact stats, but he's certainly be the strongest goalie between him and Newhouse, stacking up a huge number of saves in practice; could easily see him being our 3rd string goaltender this year and may even see him in a game this season if Halverson heads off for WJ's later this year

Guy - After reading he was the CCHL Rookie of the Year (same league Senyshyn hails from), figured some might want some input. Though not a huge presence from what I've seen, when he does control the puck it's evident this kid does have what it takes to compete in the OHL. I expect he'll be hanging around the Sault as we head into the exhibition games, though not 100% convinced (yet) he'll be able to crack the final roster this season.

Despite what has been lost to graduation, we have lots of returning firepower this season, especially if Bunting comes back for an OA year, he'll easily crack the 40+ goal mark; McCann, Speers and Bunting will be a solid and scary first line IMO

Last edited:

hfp

Jul 30, 2009
SSM
Been to several of the scrimmages, hoping to go tonight also. Lots of potential just from the rookies alone; Hounds should have some good young guns for the next few years for sure!

Notables:

DeMeo - as hfp stated, kids got DeAngelo written all over him based on what I've seen thus far, excited to watch him develop over the next several years!

Da Silva - another standout rookie defenseman, plays the puck well and I anticipate he'll be challenging for a roster spot this season, especially if Ganly doesn't come back

Kopacka - he played in a few games last season, however he seems to have easily stepped up his game this summer; he's a force to be reckoned with on the ice, controlling the puck alot in the scrimmages, and getting several nice goals, a few on the breakaway....I expect him to be a 10-20 goal scorer this year for sure

Hollowell - another kid who played with us several times last season. Watching him over the past few days, he's a sure lock for a roster spot I think. Plays the point well, even going in on net with the puck several times. He's a small guy, but shouldn't be underestimated

Wall - Don't feel like pulling up exact stats, but he's certainly be the strongest goalie between him and Newhouse, stacking up a huge number of saves in practice; could easily see him being our 3rd string goaltender this year and may even see him in a game this season if Halverson heads off for WJ's later this year

Despite what has been lost to graduation, we have lots of returning firepower this season, especially if Bunting comes back for an OA year, he'll easily crack the 40+ goal mark; McCann, Speers and Bunting will be a solid and scary first line IMO

I see us having #1 in division with this core.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Maybe some of the other board members can chime in on this but which teams are expected to be the 'top dogs' this season?

Just from scanning the rosters, London, Barrie, Ottawa, and Niagara have a lot of veteran talent coming back. Saginaw and Belleville *cough* Hamilton have a ridiculous amount of young talent and could make a run as well. After than, Kitchener and the Soo have nice rosters and you can never count out North Bay, but the draft pick situation would likely preclude either of the latter two teams from being 'top dogs' in the end.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Just from scanning the rosters, London, Barrie, Ottawa, and Niagara have a lot of veteran talent coming back. Saginaw and Belleville *cough* Hamilton have a ridiculous amount of young talent and could make a run as well. After than, Kitchener and the Soo have nice rosters and you can never count out North Bay, but the draft pick situation would likely preclude either of the latter two teams from being 'top dogs' in the end.

If Zacha was to return and Sarnia was able to acquire a vet goalie with a track record, I could see Sarnia being in a spot to challenge for the West.

I still think it's Soo's division to lose, though.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
If Zacha was to return and Sarnia was able to acquire a vet goalie with a track record, I could see Sarnia being in a spot to challenge for the West.

I still think it's Soo's division to lose, though.

I meant to mention Sarnia in that group with Saginaw and Belleville, as they have a lot of young talent that can win if they get a goaltender.

Knowing how the OHL works though, I'm sure my entire post will look absurd in a couple of months and Kingston and Flint will lead the league.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I meant to mention Sarnia in that group with Saginaw and Belleville, as they have a lot of young talent that can win if they get a goaltender.

Knowing how the OHL works though, I'm sure my entire post will look absurd in a couple of months and Kingston and Flint will lead the league.

You won't be the only one! I'll be right there beside you with my busted crystal ball!

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Annual Red & White game tonight; Zach Taylor (D), Matt Murray (D), and Isaiah Payne (D) were the first to be cut from training camp, more expected after tonight's game

seabass11

Dec 12, 2010
For anyone attending, please post some thoughts. I'm out of town and can't make it.

hounds fan

Sep 10, 2006
SSM
So it looks like Owen Guy won't be with us. He left before the Red & White game yesterday. From what I saw in the scrimmage, I thought he would have stood out more from being rookie of the year last year in the CCHL. It looks like we could be short on forwards especially if Bunting doesn't come back. We currently have 13 forwards including him. We seem to have a bit of a log jam on D-man with 9 currently on the roster. Ganly may not return so that would go down to 8.
The Greyhounds roster includes:

Goaltenders (2): Brandon Halverson, Joseph Raaymakers

Defencemen (9): Tyler Hore, Colton White, Gustav Bouramman, Tyler Ganly, Medric Mercier, Mac Hollowell, Anthony DeMeo, Theo Calvas, Conor Timmins

Forwards (12): Blake Speers, Makar Tokarev, Tim Gettinger, Boris Katchouk, Jack Kopacka, Gabe Guertler, Keigan Goetz, Zach Senyshyn, Michael Bunting, Hayden Verbeek, Liam Hawel, Morgan Frost
Jared McCann - not listed due to canucks camp.

Last edited:

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
So it looks like Owen Guy won't be with us. He left before the Red & White game yesterday. From what I saw in the scrimmage, I thought he would have stood out more from being rookie of the year last year in the OJHL. It looks like we could be short on forwards especially if Bunting doesn't come back. We currently have 13 forwards including him. We seem to have a bit of a log jam on D-man with 9 currently on the roster. Ganly may not return so that would go down to 8.
The Greyhounds roster includes:

Goaltenders (2): Brandon Halverson, Joseph Raaymakers

Defencemen (9): Tyler Hore, Colton White, Gustav Bouramman, Tyler Ganly, Medric Mercier, Mac Hollowell, Anthony DeMeo, Theo Calvas, Conor Timmins

Forwards (12): Blake Speers, Makar Tokarev, Tim Gettinger, Boris Katchouk, Jack Kopacka, Gabe Guertler, Keigan Goetz, Zach Senyshyn, Michael Bunting, Hayden Verbeek, Liam Hawel, Morgan Frost
Jared McCann - not listed due to canucks camp.

Erie is currently carrying 16 signed forwards (counting Strome) and still has an import coming over, while they only have 7 signed dmen, 3 '98s and a '99. The two teams could be good trading partners.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
I'm surprised how quick Hounds brass whittled down the roster, figured we'd at least have a few more forwards but I'm assuming they want to set the roster sooner than later. I'm curious which players will be made available in case Hounds have injuries and need to do some callups, maybe Guy is one of them?

seabass11

Dec 12, 2010
Team White won 5-2. Games featured alot of chippiness between the two teams but nothing too crazy. Halvy left early after being run into but he's doing fine.

How does tokarev look? Are we continuing our trend of bringing in highly contributing imports?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I'm surprised how quick Hounds brass whittled down the roster, figured we'd at least have a few more forwards but I'm assuming they want to set the roster sooner than later. I'm curious which players will be made available in case Hounds have injuries and need to do some callups, maybe Guy is one of them?

I'd expect a trade sometime before the season. Nothing huge, just a warm body for a 10th round pick. Raftis likely has scouts at training camps of teams with extra forwards (such as Erie).

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Was really surprised Owen Guy never made it to the red and white game. Was really looking forward to seeing him play. Is there more to this story? I really thought he would get a solid look into the pre season. Out of the 16 year olds I thought DeMeo stood out the most was very impressed. Hard to tell how much our 98 dob players have improved but I think Kopaca stood out the most. Torkrev I didn't get a good gauge on I Tryed to keep my eyes on him but found my self really struggling to notice him on the ice.

Be very interesting to see what happens with Bunting. I think Phoenix should give him one more year in junior just because he got such a late start to junior. He looks like he can take some huge strides this year to being a leader and dominant player in this league this year. I see him pushing 50 goals this year if he stays in the OHL. Of the goalies to be honest I left the game more impressed with the play of Wall and Newhouse then Halverson and Raaymakers.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
how does mac hollowell look at camp?

He looked right in stride to where he was at the end of last season. Should be a lock in the starting 6 and get some pp time.

Be interesting to see what happens with Mercier this year with the likes of Hollowell and DeMeo pushing him for ice time. I thought Mercier looked pretty decent and his shot from the point looks like it could be the best on the team right now. He also had a solid playoffs last year.

Last edited:

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Maybe some of the other board members can chime in on this but which teams are expected to be the 'top dogs' this season?

I say Hounds are going to be strong contenders to win the division but Sarnia and Saginaw will be closer to them in the standings then last year much closer.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
I say Hounds are going to be strong contenders to win the division but Sarnia and Saginaw will be closer to them in the standings then last year much closer.

Agreed; Sarnia more so I think will challenge us given their roster of great young guys. Flint and Windsor are in rebuild mode; either way, this season won't be a walk in the park like last year, should make for some interesting divisional games

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Be very interesting to see what happens with Bunting. I think Phoenix should give him one more year in junior just because he got such a late start to junior. He looks like he can take some huge strides this year to being a leader and dominant player in this league this year. I see him pushing 50 goals this year if he stays in the OHL.

If matched with McCann and Speers, I think this will make for a dangerous first line combination, and agreed, Bunting should easily reach the 40+ goal plateau if not closer to 50. If this trio is our first line, I wouldn't be surprised to see the three of them push 200 pts combined for the season.

hounds fan

Sep 10, 2006
SSM

I agree, Sarnia and Saginaw will also be right there with us. Both teams have improved since last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad