Sony PS4 #11: "Oh crap" - Nathan Drake

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I know it's been talked about, wasn't sure if it was official. Lots of rumours tend to get thrown around about new consoles.

I remember the days when the NX was rumoured to be the most powerful console ever.

The thing is with this, is that the PS4 and PS5 share the same x86 architecture, so backward compatibility should be basically inherent. It's like playing the same game on one PC, then upgrading your parts, and you just load it back up, but with better settings.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The ps5 controller should come with paddles out of the box. That shouldn't come with the pro/elite controllers.
The thing is with this, is that the PS4 and PS5 share the same x86 architecture, so backward compatibility should be basically inherent. It's like playing the same game on one PC, then upgrading your parts, and you just load it back up, but with better settings.
I don't think it's that simple but I'm sure it makes it much easier at the very least.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I fully expect some announcements of Sony first party titles that'll come to both systems, like a Horizon Zero Dawn 2 or God of War 2, when they show off the thing for the first time. I'm guessing it'll have two SKUs with size of hard drive being the only difference. I'll go 399 for a 2TB and 499 for a 5TB.
A 5TB SSD is going to be a lot more expensive than that.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I'd bet it'll be a 1 tb and 2 terabyte. 1 terabyte SSDs are actually relatively affordable now (in the $100 dollar range) I'll bet they'll be even cheaper in a year's time.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Was the ps4 already announced when they pushed out the PS3 Super Slim? I'm thinking they might do something like that, release a ps4 super slim 500gb for like 200 bucks with a couple of Sony games.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Sounds good to me. I'll probably buy a PS5 when it debuts, though I'm interested what new games (i.e. not ports) there will be at launch.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
By the way, its most likely too late for most people, since the update has been pushed already, but for anyone on the psnow free trial still, if you disconnect from the internet (assuming you haven't already updated your ps4) any non-streaming games you have downloaded (ps4 and ps2 emulated games) will never expire and you can play them for as long as you want.

Just to clarify so people dont ask, this isn't me forgetting to turn off recurring billing, its a real glitch, you can play the games for as long as you want as long as you dont update your playstation.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Ive heard speculation that the PS5 storage will be non-replaceable, like buying an iphone or whatever. So if you get the 1 TB model thats what you're stuck with.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Ive heard speculation that the PS5 storage will be non-replaceable, like buying an iphone or whatever. So if you get the 1 TB model thats what you're stuck with.

Considering the drive was replaceable in the PS3 and PS4, this would be monumentally stupid. Especially considering the low storage space of these drives compares the ever growing size of games. Destiny 2, RDR2 and Hitman 2 are all around 140 to 150 gigs each. Yeah, f*** that.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Unfortunately, it seems likely if the flash memory is accessed through PCIe. You won't be able to add an external drive through USB and reach the same IO speeds.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
To add on to the fact that you can't upgrade your own f***ing drive would be f***ing stupid, the new COD requires 175GB on space as a requirement... holy f***ing shit...

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Considering the drive was replaceable in the PS3 and PS4, this would be monumentally stupid. Especially considering the low storage space of these drives compares the ever growing size of games. Destiny 2, RDR2 and Hitman 2 are all around 140 to 150 gigs each. Yeah, **** that.

To add on to the fact that you can't upgrade your own ****ing drive would be ****ing stupid, the new COD requires 175GB on space as a requirement... holy ****ing ****...

You can add your own external drive. (4TB max) They're not going to omit this from their new console release unless they're going cloud with all their games.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
If you can't have a new drive then it better be ****ing huge, and push developers to have the custom installs.

Custom installs did seem to be what Cerny was talking about, but yea, hopefully that doesn't just end up being for some games if the devs choose to do it.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Just here to express my absolute excitement for Death Stranding. Haven’t preordered a game in years but I did with this, confident I won’t be let down

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad