Something you might not ever see again…4 straight Stanley cup finals sweeps.

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
So I did not realize this stat ever before, and it’s something that there’s a good chance you may not ever see again. I wouldn’t be surprised if you didn’t see it in the next 100 years. And that’s for the final to be swept 4 straight years. In fact, there hasn’t been a single finals sweep since 1998. From 1995-1998 there was a series sweep. And it’s been the only time it’s happened in NHL history dating back to 1927.

• Haha
Reactions: EdJovanovski

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Uhh I could easily put NHL 24 on rookie mode and make this happen, and I could just quit in the middle of the games until I win 4 straight in the Finals, and do that each season. So therefore, yes, I would see it happen again. Maybe re-think your prediction next time.

Reactions: Summer Rose

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
The Leafs can not be swept in the finals if the Leafs do not reach the finals.

raf,360x360,075,t,fafafa_ca443f4786.jpg

This record could live forever.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
96 and 98 featured a couple heavy underdogs in the final. They were a couple teams you would not expect to be in the finals, and the results were not surprising.

95 and 97 however were surprising. 95 was when the Devils introduced themselves as a perennial cup contender, but that was a stacked wings team they beat. 97 was the lindros flyers. They had some flaws when compared to the wings, but I don't think many people anticipated them to be ousted so easily.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Surprised it didn't happen during the first expansion era, but I looked and it was only three consecutive Finals sweeps.

For those who don't know, when the Original Six expanded, they brought six new teams on board, and separated the divisions between new teams and old teams. So for 3 years in a row, an expansion team would make the Finals by default. More specifically, the St Louis Blues made the Finals 3 years in a row, and got swept all three times.

The divisions were only adjusted once Vancouver and Buffalo came into the fold (with Canucks getting put into the "East" for some reason??). Of course, as soon as Chicago got put into the expansion conference, they immediately made the Finals and lost a 7-game series to Montreal.

I think it's safe to say, with so much emphasis on parity, we won't see circumstances like that in our lifetime, and OP is probably safe to declare that it will never happen again. What's confusing me, is how people aren't understanding the premise of this thread lol

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
96 and 98 featured a couple heavy underdogs in the final. They were a couple teams you would not expect to be in the finals, and the results were not surprising.

95 and 97 however were surprising. 95 was when the Devils introduced themselves as a perennial cup contender, but that was a stacked wings team they beat. 97 was the lindros flyers. They had some flaws when compared to the wings, but I don't think many people anticipated them to be ousted so easily.

Read this 3 times over and have no idea wtf OP is talking about, most bizarre thread I've ever seen

lol some don’t understand. All I’m saying is we will never see a Stanley cup finals again with the other team getting swept and this happening 4 years in a row. This happened from 1995-1998.

@EdJovanovski The Stanley Cup winners from 1995 - 1998 swept the finals.

OP was a bit oddly worded but @JianYang and @Schennanigans explained further.

1995: Jersey (4) vs. Detroit (0)
1996: Colorado (4) vs. Florida (0)
1997: Detroit (4) vs. Philadelphia (0)
1998: Detroit (4) vs. Washington (0)

How about the Islanders sweeping 3 Cup finals in a row. That's something that will never happen again.

That's crazy. I doubt we even see a three-peat again. It's impressive that Detroit made it to the finals 3/4 years though, winning two in consecutive sweeps.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
At no point during last year's Final did it seem competitive. Florida might not have gotten swept, but that was the saddest performance I've ever seen in the Final. They had three incredible rounds then they didn't even belong on the same ice as their opponent
That goes to show how truly bad the east is. They took the other best team in the east thru 7 games, and smacked around two of the conferences other top teams like it was nothing. Only to get obliterated by Vegas.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Sentinel

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest