Something we might not fully appreciate....Kessel's gift

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
In the last 5 seasons........only Stamkos, Ovechkin & Perry have scored more goals than Phil Kessel.

That's pretty damn good company to be in.

In that span, here's how many they've scored, and I put a few guys who came in behind Phil, too.

Stamkos = 199
Ovechkin = 173
Perry = 145
Kessel = 134
Ryan = 125
Tavares = 123
Crosby = 122
D. Sedin = 121
Toews = 121
Malkin = 119
Kane = 119
St. Louis = 114
Parise = 102

Don't believe the haters out there that suggest Kessel is somehow worth less that their top players. Phil is an ELITE scorer and he's consistent as hell.

If only he had an elite Centre to play with, huh?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Kessel is a gifted goal scorer because of his deadly wrist shot.

I also notice that he's starting to drive to the net a lot more often, instead of just flicking that deadly wrister from farther out. If he keeps that up, 40 goals will be coming SOON.

GifKing*

Oct 24, 2013
His lack of engaging in board battles & playing the body has benefited in him rarely getting injured. So ya he racks in the points.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
He is an amazing goal scorer. JVR, Kessel, and Kadri are going to feast on other teams this season. They looked really good last night. Lots of scoring chances, possession time, and a cycle game :amazed: Haven't seen the first line sustain pressure like that in a long time. :yo:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
PK has almost rounded into what I would demand in a player, seeing how BBs draft slot gamble backfired.

In need just a little bit more out of him.

When he can be in a conversation as one of the top 12 forwards in the game without much debate, then i'll be completely satisfied.

yakfish

"Holy Mackinaw!"
Dec 21, 2012
Ohio
I had always known Kessel was a special and elite player. But of the top of my head I would have expected Crosby, Malkin, Toews, Kane and Parise to all be ahead of him. Very impressive to see the numbers!

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Kessel is amazing. JvR is just as good IMO as far as importance to the team goes. Both players help the team win despite very little support from 2nd, 3rd, 4th line scoring.

JvR is PPG this year when he's playing on the wing.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Kessel is amazing. JvR is just as good IMO as far as importance to the team goes. Both players help the team win despite very little support from 2nd, 3rd, 4th line scoring.

JvR is PPG this year when he's playing on the wing.

When they are all healthy and in the lineup.....Kadri/Bozak with Lupul & Clarkson have been great out there together on the 2nd line.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
PK has almost rounded into what I would demand in a player, seeing how BBs draft slot gamble backfired.

In need just a little bit more out of him.

When he can be in a conversation as one of the top 12 forwards in the game without much debate, then i'll be completely satisfied.

What? Really? That's when you'll be satisfied?

Some people

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Kessel also is doing all this stuff for the most part of this year with a taped up wrist that is clearly not 100%, which makes it even more impressive. If you wanna question his heart on the ice, fine. Don't even try to question his heart off the ice though. Battling cancer, nagging wrist issues, yet he hasn't missed a game since the beginning of his 1st season here (off-season shoulder surgery).

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
Not my fault you have low standards.

8th highest cap hit among all forward next year, no reason not to expect a top 12 from that.

He's at worst the 2nd best right winger in all of hockey. The only one that might be better is Perry, and he has the benefit of playing with a dominant centre. What's so special about being "top 12", he's definitely top 20, maybe even top 15. We have an absolutely incredible player on our team, be happy about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad