Weekes: Something happening with Markstrom?

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Everything you said here makes it clear - there's no way the Flames are going to recognize reality, rebuild, and make legitimate tries for the Stanley Cup in the future.

What a waste and a shame. The Flames, for a while there, were a strong organization with a lot of hope.
Agree to disagree. What model franchise are you going to provide in this example that the Flames should emulate?

Flames are not trading futures for players. They are trading players for futures. This is a rebuild, just not scorched-earth. Lots of scorched earth rebuilds end up taking a decade without any results to show for it. Flames have drafted fantastically for a while now, even with Treliving bleeding picks for so long. I look forward to this.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Trying to think of a scorch earth rebuild that has actually worked? Pens don't really count.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Agree to disagree. What model franchise are you going to provide in this example that the Flames should emulate?

Flames are not trading futures for players. They are trading players for futures. This is a rebuild, just not scorched-earth. Lots of scorched earth rebuilds end up taking a decade without any results to show for it. Flames have drafted fantastically for a while now, even with Treliving bleeding picks for so long. I look forward to this.
When you say that you are not rebuilding you are making it clear that you have no interest in excelling or winning the cup.

And here us city taxpayers are throwing away hundreds of millions of dollars on a free arena for a team that has no interest in building a winner for fans.

Trying to think of a scorch earth rebuild that has actually worked? Pens don't really count.
The 1980s Red Wings. The GM wrote the book about it and should still be required reading when it comes to the process of rebuilding.

Scorched earth rebuilds work when certain things are in place. From what I have read in this thread the Flames aren't candidates because they obviously don't believe in the process.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

I would say the cores of the Pens/Blackhawks/Kings all resulted from what people considered scorched earth rebuilds. Considering that covered the champions for most of a decade, there's a pretty good pitch for the approach.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
I would say the cores of the Pens/Blackhawks/Kings all resulted from what people considered scorched earth rebuilds. Considering that covered the champions for most of a decade, there's a pretty good pitch for the approach.
Leafs did the same, and while they haven't won the cup, they've assembled a good core of high-end players. Had they managed the cap better, then they could have filled the holes and been much more dangerous.

It's really tough as you have to hit your high end draft picks. And get lucky to get a Matthews draft year when you draft first, vs some of the others.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
While a scorched earth burn it 100% down rebuild has little hx of success, of the last 4 (Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA and Tampa), "dynasty" tesms, that is more than 1 cup win, 3 of the 4 enjoyed multiple top 3 picks playing huge roles, while the other, LA, had one.

Lots more to it of course, but the importance of those top picks cant be understated...

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
While a scorched earth burn it 100% down rebuild has little hx of success, of the last 4 (Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA and Tampa), "dynasty" tesms, that is more than 1 cup win, 3 of the 4 enjoyed multiple top 3 picks playing huge roles, while the other, LA, had one.

Lots more to it of course, but the importance of those top picks cant be understated...
not only that, but you have to make sure you pick the right guy in those top 3 picks or at least top 5. Once you get the right ones, then it helps set up a future core. Yzerman did a burn it all down situation and kept larkin as the only core component to the team, then drafted seider at pick 6, then raymond at 4 (should of had #1 pick where I think we choose stutzle over raymond...that would have been interesting), then ed at 6, etc.

meanwhile, we had to trade untradeable contracts or at least buy them out (abdelkader, etc) at this point because it was the best time to do it while we rebuild. We knew it would take awhile, but it sucked the entire time.

Some on our boards are pissed off because player x and y are still in GR, and while they are probably right (edvinsson in particular), we could have also just brought them all in too early and have a buffalo/edmonton/ottawa situation where we have all this talent but always lose at the same time. I like that yzerman insulated the higher end young players (raymond, seider) with veterans who are still in their "prime" (compher, dbc, etc) that know how to win or at least play at higher levels than what any of our current players have ever played at (looking at larkin here other than his rookie season).

We need to get to the playoffs this year and i think we make it. I just really want to see seider, larkin, dbc, and hopefully edvinsson in playoff hockey. I think they all play at another level and have the dirty-ness ability to muck it up. Especially Seider. I need to know he won't fold when things get dirty/rough after the whistle. Nothing has suggested that he would, but I just need to see it. Trust but verify type situation.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad