Some interesting stats regarding Rinne

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
So Rinne had a poor performance against the Jets that's of no surprise, he also had a poor performance against the Pens, and the Sharks dating back to 2016.

However, let's take a look at the other goalies that faced the teams Rinne faced.

2016 playoffs:
Quick against the Sharks: GAA:3.05 Sv%: 88.64
Elliott against the Sharks: GAA:3.01 Sv%:88.42
Elliott before the Sharks: GAA:2.29 Sv%:92.90
Matt Murray: GAA:1.76 Sv%:92.03
Murray before the Sharks: GAA:2.21 Sv%:92.45
Rinne against the Sharks: GAA:2.81 Sv%:89.76

Other than Murray (And even then he had a lower save percentage versus the Sharks), every other opponent had their stats suffer severely against the Sharks compared to not facing the Sharks that season. In fact both Elliott and Quick had worse stats than Rinne despite playing on arguably better teams when it comes to team defense.

2017 playoffs:
Bobrovsky: GAA:3.88 Sv%:88.24
Holtby: GAA:2.57 Sv%:88.74
Holtby before the Pens: GAA:2.36 Sv%:92.49
Rinne against the Pens: GAA:2.80 Sv%:88.80
Rinne before the Pens: GAA:1.70 Sv%:94.09
Anderson against the Pens: GAA:2.07 Sv%:93.64
Anderson before the Pens: GAA:2.49 Sv%:91.35

Other than Anderson's statistical anomaly against the Pens, every other goalies played far worse than Rinne did against the Pens. Although to Rinne's credit he did have better defense than both the Caps and BJs.

2018 playoffs:
Devan Dubnyk: GAA:3.39 Sv%:90.79
Rinne against the Jets: GAA:3.49 Sv%:89.95

Yes Rinne was worse than Dubnyk, but again it's not like Dubnyk played well. Jets are a strong team.

So while Rinne has struggled in the post season for the last few seasons, most goalies that played the opponent he faced has either performed just as poorly or worse.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
It's not the stats with Rinne it's the quality of goals that he's let in over the last 2 years in the playoffs when it matters most that counts.

There are two kinds of goals - good goals and bad goals. Most teams can rebound from a good goal, unless they are anemic offensively. It's a lot harder to recover from bad goals that rattle the team's confidence, take the fans out of the game, and give the opponent every reason to believe they can score in bunches.

Going back to last year, Rinne has let in horrendous goals at the worst times. Last year he was letting in wacky goals from weird angles vs. the Ducks and giving up back-breaking goals to the Pens at key moments.

I remember last year in game 1, I believe, the Pens were winning early and the Preds battled all the way back in the 3rd and right after they did, Rinne lets in a go-ahead goal. The goal itself wasn't brutal, but if there was ever a time in a key game (and moment) that you want a "Vezina caliber" goalie to make a big save, it was then. And Rinne didn't.

Last round against the Jets, Rinne let in some very bad goals. He was yanked in 3 different games!! The goals he was giving up in game 7 were inexcusable, there's no way to sugarcoat it, and it has nothing to do with stats.

And, not for anything, but I think the "Rinne for the Vezina" is way overdone as well. If players like Malkin and Kucherov aren't Hart nominees because "their teams have too much talent", how is the same not said about Rinne, who plays behind the best top-4 D on the planet? During the majority of any game, Rinne is playing behind 2 Norris candidates in Subban and Josi, plus other studs like Ekholm and Ellis. Talk about lucking out.

As a person, I really like Rinne, and I feel for him. But I've honestly never understood the obsession that he's some elite goaltender. I've watched him let up weak goals his entire career, including the last 2 years when the Preds were "Cup favorites."

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It's not the stats with Rinne it's the quality of goals that he's let in over the last 2 years in the playoffs when it matters most that counts.

There are two kinds of goals - good goals and bad goals. Most teams can rebound from a good goal, unless they are anemic offensively. It's a lot harder to recover from bad goals that rattle the team's confidence, take the fans out of the game, and give the opponent every reason to believe they can score in bunches.

Going back to last year, Rinne has let in horrendous goals at the worst times. Last year he was letting in wacky goals from weird angles vs. the Ducks and giving up back-breaking goals to the Pens at key moments.

I remember last year in game 1, I believe, the Pens were winning early and the Preds battled all the way back in the 3rd and right after they did, Rinne lets in a go-ahead goal. The goal itself wasn't brutal, but if there was ever a time in a key game (and moment) that you want a "Vezina caliber" goalie to make a big save, it was then. And Rinne didn't.

Last round against the Jets, Rinne let in some very bad goals. He was yanked in 3 different games!! The goals he was giving up in game 7 were inexcusable, there's no way to sugarcoat it, and it has nothing to do with stats.

And, not for anything, but I think the "Rinne for the Vezina" is way overdone as well. If players like Malkin and Kucherov aren't Hart nominees because "their teams have too much talent", how is the same not said about Rinne, who plays behind the best top-4 D on the planet? During the majority of any game, Rinne is playing behind 2 Norris candidates in Subban and Josi, plus other studs like Ekholm and Ellis. Talk about lucking out.

As a person, I really like Rinne, and I feel for him. But I've honestly never understood the obsession that he's some elite goaltender. I've watched him let up weak goals his entire career, including the last 2 years when the Preds were "Cup favorites."
Considering how bad that D was in front of him during the playoffs I'm not entirely sure the " best top 4 D on the planet " argument holds much water atm. Josi and Ellis were straight garbage in both series. That doesn't mean I don't agree with everything else you said about Rinne. It's not even the number of goals he gives up, it's the timing and the kind. They always just seem to be killers for some reason.

He deserves the Vezina for his regular season, it was rather solid even with Ellis out for half of the season. Frankly he actually did carry us for large stretches this season so I can't really take that away from him. His post season is where you shake your head though.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Sounds a lot like Pavelec. It's not coincidence that we are finally doing well when we fully moved to Hellebuyck.

Reactions: tntkid

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Considering how bad that D was in front of him during the playoffs I'm not entirely sure the " best top 4 D on the planet " argument holds much water atm. Josi and Ellis were straight garbage in both series. That doesn't mean I don't agree with everything else you said about Rinne. It's not even the number of goals he gives up, it's the timing and the kind. They always just seem to be killers for some reason.

He deserves the Vezina for his regular season, it was rather solid even with Ellis out for half of the season. Frankly he actually did carry us for large stretches this season so I can't really take that away from him. His post season is where you shake your head though.
Exactly. A year ago Josi, Ellis and even Ekholm were like in the top 10.
With their no show in the playoffs they shouldn't be in the line up.
And Subban...well, he is no Bobby Orr, no Lidstrom and no Ray Bourque.
The Preds had no gamechanger and fans are disappointed, that Rinne wasn't either.
They should ask themselves what exactly happened between the regular season and the playoffs.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
The Preds had no gamechanger and fans are disappointed, that Rinne wasn't either.
They should ask themselves what exactly happened between the regular season and the playoffs.
If you look at Rinne's last few starts in regular season you'll notice his fall off happened before the playoffs.

Rinne is either hot or ice cold, very little in between.

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
Using sv% and GAA to evaluate goalies.. Yeah I'm out. I think when evaluating goalies you should always take into account high danger scoring chances and such.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Using sv% and GAA to evaluate goalies.. Yeah I'm out. I think when evaluating goalies you should always take into account high danger scoring chances and such.

It's also easy to evaluate goalies who let in garbage goals on shots by Tyler Myers or Corey Perry from the side boards.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

So goals that Rinne puts him himself that come from behind the goalline or on the boards are now the defenses fault?

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
So goals that Rinne puts him himself that come from behind the goalline or on the boards are now the defenses fault?

Nope, impossible. No way to spin this to anyone with a set of eyes who has watched Rinne the last 2 years in the playoffs.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
No, but it's not the only issue Nashville had/has.
They also need a #1C, a few goalscorers and their 2016 defense.
Rinne playing a Vezina nomination season helps to forget those problems.
Last year Hellebuyck let in a huge amount of questionable goals. This year he is in sync with the D, the forwards help out AND score and they have 2 above average centers.
Small things, but the difference between golfing and making the finals.

Reactions: Calendal

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Rinne had a terrible game 7 I agree, but throughout the majority of the Peg series, he wasn't as bad as people think. Winnipeg generated a ton of dangerous chances, and that's not including the fact that the Jets players in general are more dangerous even in non-high danger areas (Scheifele and Laine especially). Hellebuyck also gave up some questionable goals.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I think you have the combined goalie sv% here, Rinne's sv% vs Jets was .877

Game 1: Faced 16 shots, allowed 3 goals
Game 2: Faced 50 shots, allowed 4 goals
Game 3: Faced 43 shots, allowed 5 goals
Game 4: Faced 33 shots, allowed 1 goal
Game 5: Faced 26 shots, allowed 6 goals
Game 6: Faced 34 shots, allowed no goals
Game 7: Faced 7 shots, allowed 2 goals
Total: 209 shots, allowed: 21 goals.

When you combine Saros with Rinne, the Preds Sv% is 90.13

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Rinne's still a very good goalie, just not great when he should be. (IE; Playoff this year and vs. Pittsurgh in 2016)

Jeffsrig

Jan 27, 2015
Innisfail

Jeffsrig

Jan 27, 2015
Innisfail

Your numbers are not consistent with the ones I pulled from NHL stats but it really doesn't matter, despite a couple of softies Rinne let in during that series Nashville's defensive play was putrid compared to their regular season play, I agree with most here that sv% is not a be all end all indicator of goalie performance. The best goalie in the world on a shitty team is going to get lit up.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Your numbers are not consistent with the ones I pulled from NHL stats but it really doesn't matter, despite a couple of softies Rinne let in during that series Nashville's defensive play was putrid compared to their regular season play, I agree with most here that sv% is not a be all end all indicator of goalie performance. The best goalie in the world on a ****ty team is going to get lit up.

Show me the NHL.com stats then. Because that's what I pulled out. Are you sure you didn't put empty net goals against Rinne?

Jeffsrig

Jan 27, 2015
Innisfail
I’m good, I don’t have a dog in this fight and not going waste time speculating over 2 hundredths on a stat that is speculative to the OP at best. I’ll concede that you are right about the average.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Sounds a lot like Pavelec. It's not coincidence that we are finally doing well when we fully moved to Hellebuyck.
Ah but the Jets started the season expecting to use Mason as a clear #1, no? Then he sucked and Hellebuyck rose to the challenge with a perfect timing and he wound up as the unquestionable #1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad