Soft hands tips

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I play dominant hand on bottom and you really need to practice stickhandling when it's that way. But I value shooting, so yeah...

mcsk*

Hey guys. Kind of off topic, but I need your help on this. I started playing hockey only recently (2 seasons), but because I would practice stickhandling a lot at home, I became good at it (but I can't shoot to save my life and my skating sucks). What would stand out in my stickhandling was my quick hands, which were really quick. Recently though, it seems as though I had lost all my stickhandling skills for no apparent reason. On the ice, my stickhandling became slow and bad. Same thing when I practice stickhandling at home with a golf ball. It's extremely frustrating and annoying, as my stickhandling was my only asset. I've tried hard to fix it, but my skills just won't come back. I was wondering whether this had happened to anyone else here, and if anyone had any tips or ideas on fixing my problem. Thanks.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Hey guys. Kind of off topic, but I need your help on this. I started playing hockey only recently (2 seasons), but because I would practice stickhandling a lot at home, I became good at it (but I can't shoot to save my life and my skating sucks). What would stand out in my stickhandling was my quick hands, which were really quick. Recently though, it seems as though I had lost all my stickhandling skills for no apparent reason. On the ice, my stickhandling became slow and bad. Same thing when I practice stickhandling at home with a golf ball. It's extremely frustrating and annoying, as my stickhandling was my only asset. I've tried hard to fix it, but my skills just won't come back. I was wondering whether this had happened to anyone else here, and if anyone had any tips or ideas on fixing my problem. Thanks.

Growth spurt? If so it is temporary and will come back in time.

Another possibility is that your other skills have improved and you are playing at a higher level so it is only an apparent drop in stickhandling.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I don't know. I was at a fair a couple years ago and an artist did this rendering:
3568-popeye.jpg

You look a lot like Popeye. It's uncanny really.

Anyway, back on topic, I think the problem is in the biceps/triceps area. You need to bulk up some there Buddy.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA

Any thoughts at all about what caused the change? A long offseason, maybe?

In any sport you'll have days, or even long spells of time, when it feels like you've forgotten everything you ever learned. Chances are you've just lost touch with the ball, the puck or whatever you use and you need a little time to get reacquainted. Start slow with your golf ball just getting a feel -- cradling it, moving side to side, then forward and back. It could be that you've just been distracted (working on other facets of your game?) and in coming back to stick handling you're trying to force your hands and the ball to work like they used to instead of trying to regain your touch. Just simplify the exercise until you feel the ball is under your control and then gradually increase your hand speed and the types of maneuvers you try.

mcsk*

Any thoughts at all about what caused the change? A long offseason, maybe?

In any sport you'll have days, or even long spells of time, when it feels like you've forgotten everything you ever learned. Chances are you've just lost touch with the ball, the puck or whatever you use and you need a little time to get reacquainted. Start slow with your golf ball just getting a feel -- cradling it, moving side to side, then forward and back. It could be that you've just been distracted (working on other facets of your game?) and in coming back to stick handling you're trying to force your hands and the ball to work like they used to instead of trying to regain your touch. Just simplify the exercise until you feel the ball is under your control and then gradually increase your hand speed and the types of maneuvers you try.

I switched sticks, so that might have caused the change. I was playing with a Bauer OnePro: I broke the blade, and decided to give the Sherwood RM9 a try. I bought a curve pretty similar to the one I had on my Bauer (I had a naslund curve), because I found it to be the perfect curve for me in terms of stickhandling. However, it's been a while now (around 3 weeks) that my puckhandling has been way worse than what it used to be. Maybe the fact that I started working on my wrists and forearms (wrist curls and reverse wrist curls) at around the time I lost my skills has something to do with it. Could that be part of the problem?
Anyway, thanks a lot for the help everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

BadHammy*

I switched sticks, so that might have caused the change. I was playing with a Bauer OnePro: I broke the blade, and decided to give the Sherwood RM9 a try. I bought a curve pretty similar to the one I had on my Bauer (I had a naslund curve), because I found it to be the perfect curve for me in terms of stickhandling. However, it's been a while now (around 3 weeks) that my puckhandling has been way worse than what it used to be. Maybe the fact that I started working on my wrists and forearms (wrist curls and reverse wrist curls) at around the time I lost my skills has something to do with it. Could that be part of the problem?
Anyway, thanks a lot for the help everyone.

YES! You just answered your own question. Fatigued wrists will not help you in terms of stick handling, it'll hurt more than you can imagine...

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I think you said it well. The bottom hand also helps when you're doing pull in/push outs directly in front of you, e.g. you slide it up or down to add control. It's really just to stabilize. If anyone doesn't understand, try to stick handle with just your bottom hand on the mid of the stick and then enjoy laughing at yourself.

I tried it and I don't really find it any harder stickhandling with only the lower hand than with the upper hand. But I'm righthanded and play right-handed. I figure that for some moves, my upper hand is controlling the stick and for other maneuvres my lower hand is. I even remember seeing some one-handed NHL goals scored with just the lower hand as well as just the upper hand though not as many obviously. I think this dominant-hand thing is all over-analyzed and under-substantiated, and don't believe there is any hard and fast rule. Where's the evidence that proves that practising with a cardboard roll on the lower hand is beneficial. Maybe it would be even better to spend half of that time practising with the cardboard roll on the upper hand to end up with 2 good hands and better overall dexterity and versatility. Who knows?

BadHammy*

I tried it and I don't really find it any harder stickhandling with only the lower hand than with the upper hand. But I'm righthanded and play right-handed. I figure that for some moves, my upper hand is controlling the stick and for other maneuvres my lower hand is. I even remember seeing some one-handed NHL goals scored with just the lower hand as well as just the upper hand though not as many obviously. I think this dominant-hand thing is all over-analyzed and under-substantiated, and don't believe there is any hard and fast rule. Where's the evidence that proves that practising with a cardboard roll on the lower hand is beneficial. Maybe it would be even better to spend half of that time practising with the cardboard roll on the upper hand to end up with 2 good hands and better overall dexterity and versatility. Who knows?

The reason why you're doing this is because your dominant hand is on the bottom, and your RH, the dom hand, is much stronger than your left hand (forearm). So you lack the requisite strength to properly do a lot of stick handling with just the top forearm. This will handicap you if you do not correct it soon. Work on wrist curls for the LH eh.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
The reason why you're doing this is because your dominant hand is on the bottom, and your RH, the dom hand, is much stronger than your left hand (forearm). So you lack the requisite strength to properly do a lot of stick handling with just the top forearm. This will handicap you if you do not correct it soon. Work on wrist curls for the LH eh.

But I have no problem handling the stick with just the top forearm. And where's the proof that it will handicap me. I'd be willing to read any documented evidence. My mind is open.

BadHammy*

Do whatever the heck you want, ok? All the experts and NHL players, all 99.9% of them, the ones who disagree with you, are wrong.And if you want some help, http://www.hockeyshot.com/articles.asp?id=232 and read the USA Hockey articles. Otherwise, if you refuse to listen, attempt to do some advanced moves primarily using the bottom hand, videotape this and then post links. We all will laugh at you so hard, that you will then learn the proper way. Problem solved.

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net
I think you said it well. The bottom hand also helps when you're doing pull in/push outs directly in front of you, e.g. you slide it up or down to add control. It's really just to stabilize. If anyone doesn't understand, try to stick handle with just your bottom hand on the mid of the stick and then enjoy laughing at yourself.

Thank god...Someone got it right!:handclap:

USA Hockey several years ago put out a coaching tip that recommend coaches to place an empty toilet paper roll on the bottom hand while you stick handle to show how the bottom hand worked while stickhandling.

The bottom hand should be smooth where you don't grip the shaft and the top hand does all of the rolling of the shaft so the puck cups on the blade as you move from side to side.

This is why you want the dominant hand on top. It has every thing to do with having soft hands. The bottom hand does pick up the stick, but you have to return back to a light grip after you place the stick back on the ice.

As for a bottom hand as a fulcrum, this is very true. This is how you get the leverage and the flex of your shick to work for you in the shot.

Now, when you pass, you are going to use what is called a "Sweep" pass. This is where this fulcrum comes into play. But, the fulcrum is not required to stick handle, only when you are advancing the puck off your stick is when the fulcrum comes into play.

Head coach

Last edited:

Canad93

Jan 21, 2008
I spent an entire summer stickhandling with a swedish ball on my concrete basement floor. The result, highlight reel goals the next season.

Aim to develop a rhythm at a consistant speed where it's moving back and forth smoothly. I could usually get this for a little by stickhandling really quickly back and forth (with rolling the wrists) and for a short period within this time I would be at a good rhythm, and the more I practiced the easier it became. You want the contact on the receiving end of the blade to be minimal, like the blade is moving away from the oncoming ball at almost the same speed as the ball is moving towards it, so that the transition is smooth.

BadHammy*

I spent an entire summer stickhandling with a swedish ball on my concrete basement floor. The result, highlight reel goals the next season.

Aim to develop a rhythm at a consistant speed where it's moving back and forth smoothly. I could usually get this for a little by stickhandling really quickly back and forth (with rolling the wrists) and for a short period within this time I would be at a good rhythm, and the more I practiced the easier it became. You want the contact on the receiving end of the blade to be minimal, like the blade is moving away from the oncoming ball at almost the same speed as the ball is moving towards it, so that the transition is smooth.

Really good stuff. I like stick handling practice to include music with a good beat/rhythm, never thought of it in that much depth though.

TradeforWendel

Mar 8, 2007
Canada
Lots of great tips in some of these replies.

Don't tense up on the stick. A firm grip is important but you don't want to be squeezing too tightly. Roll the wrists and don't put too much downward force on the stick blade.

For training aids, the wood Swedish balls are good but I prefer the new fangled stickhandling balls. The golfball is a good tip too but I still prefer the stickhandling balls.

Thefalkon

Apr 8, 2008
For stickhandling, should I use the swedish stickhandling ball or the SmartHockey stickhandling ball? I have both but I'm just wondering which one would be better.

Semper Sens

Nov 10, 2007
For stickhandling, should I use the swedish stickhandling ball or the SmartHockey stickhandling ball? I have both but I'm just wondering which one would be better.

I just bought a smart hockey ball this morning. I asked for the swedish stickhandling ball but play-it-again didn't have it.

So far, it seems good for just dribbling practice or sliding around the legs of a chair (developing quickness). I was really hoping to use it to work on toe drags but it's hard to do with the ball because it doesn't slide, it rolls. I just went back to the regular and heavy pucks I've been using when practicing toe drags. But like i said, I really liked it for stickhandling side to side and stuff like that. It doesn't flop around at all and it feels "right"

BTW, this is all on unfinished basement floor.

BadHammy*

It's very important to practice while moving. Go in circles, diagonally, forward-backward, etc. I've found out that I'm a lot better stick handling while moving then standing still, I think it relates to rhythm.

SSM12

May 30, 2004
North Carolina, USA
Im dominant righty with left hand up top. After reading a few months ago about the whole toilet paper thing and when i did it, my right hand was subconsciuosly loose. I think by playing so much i just naturally developed the soft touch down low. Now if I try a lefty stick, which I often do for fun, i am a stickhandling mess with my right hand up top. I think my left wrist just became stronger, but i never really put focus on having a loose bottom hand(my right hand) but when i focused on it, i have been doing it all along.

The benefit, to me is in the shooting. My stickhandling is fine wiht my "weaker" hand up top, and I can do the toe drags, backhand toe drags and the like. When i first picked up a stick I always felt comfortable with the left up top. the "shovel/rake" trick where you hand a kid a shovel and the way they shovel they should hold a stick never applied to me. I rake/shovel both ways. When I get tired one way, i switch to the other.

In hindsight I have always been kinda ambidextrous, though i say right hand dominant cause I can't write worth **** with my left hand, though its plausible the wrist is just as strong as my right.

I really dont think its handicapping me as I believe I have the right technique. And if I were to make a switch now, I would never be able to play hockey again, right hand on top just feels THAT weird

I also dont think its THAT uncommon in the NHL. 2 specifically on the Caps are Semin and Ovechkin. Both Righty dominant and Right handed shots.........

Last edited:

Huggy Bear*

It's very important to practice while moving. Go in circles, diagonally, forward-backward, etc. I've found out that I'm a lot better stick handling while moving then standing still, I think it relates to rhythm.

I agree, I'm much better moving than standing, but I also feel this is because I naturally am more creative as there is more room to work with and I can set up obstacles (cone, helmet, shoe etc.) to stickhandle around. I also develop a better rhythm to puckhandle with, usually when my right leg is extended back the puck is handled to the left and when my left leg is back the puck is extended to my right, thus I get my stride and handle in-step.

I actually learned to handle and deke while skating by practicing wide sweeping strokes.

Also, on the right side of this page:

http://www.smarthockey.com/

there is a box where you can watch a bunch of videos with Lecavalier going over basic excersizes for skating, stickhandling, skating while stickhandling, shooting etc. but he covers ALOT in a good collection of short clips. They helped me IMMENSELY. Most of all I really think you just need confidence and comfort, and make sure you keep the puck at a proper distance from your body so you can see it in your peripheral vision and keep your head up!

Good luck.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
If any of you have a dog you can try to train your dog to chase the ball. My stickhandling has gotten faster and more creative after I got my pup into the sport, it especially helps since you don't want to hit the dog, so you work a lot on being quick and shifty, while also being very smooth and in control of your stick.

BadHammy*

If any of you have a dog you can try to train your dog to chase the ball. My stickhandling has gotten faster and more creative after I got my pup into the sport, it especially helps since you don't want to hit the dog, so you work a lot on being quick and shifty, while also being very smooth and in control of your stick.

Now that's putting a dog to good use!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad