Soft hands tips

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Now that's putting a dog to good use!!

My pups actually a pretty good sport. He'll chase the ball, force me to think of clever new moves. He can usually strip the ball away after a couple of chases around the basement, but when he can't he just goes after my legs. He's probably a better defender than most of the guys I've ever played against, what with the persuit drive and all.

dirtydevs9

Feb 2, 2008
USA
http://www.totalhockey.net/tab3.asp?item=3044
That's the Swedish Ball.

I took up the sport about a 1 1/2 years ago and started with some plastic Franklin stick. I naturally put my right hand on the bottom and I do everything with my right hand. I dont know if my left forearm has gotten stronger but I seem to puck handle fine and I am playing in a pretty competitive inline league (looking to take up ice soon). My shot is also very good.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Im dominant righty with left hand up top. After reading a few months ago about the whole toilet paper thing and when i did it, my right hand was subconsciuosly loose. I think by playing so much i just naturally developed the soft touch down low. Now if I try a lefty stick, which I often do for fun, i am a stickhandling mess with my right hand up top. I think my left wrist just became stronger, but i never really put focus on having a loose bottom hand(my right hand) but when i focused on it, i have been doing it all along.

The benefit, to me is in the shooting. My stickhandling is fine wiht my "weaker" hand up top, and I can do the toe drags, backhand toe drags and the like. When i first picked up a stick I always felt comfortable with the left up top. the "shovel/rake" trick where you hand a kid a shovel and the way they shovel they should hold a stick never applied to me. I rake/shovel both ways. When I get tired one way, i switch to the other.

In hindsight I have always been kinda ambidextrous, though i say right hand dominant cause I can't write worth **** with my left hand, though its plausible the wrist is just as strong as my right.

I really dont think its handicapping me as I believe I have the right technique. And if I were to make a switch now, I would never be able to play hockey again, right hand on top just feels THAT weird

I also dont think its THAT uncommon in the NHL. 2 specifically on the Caps are Semin and Ovechkin. Both Righty dominant and Right handed shots.........

Everything in your post is exactly what I might have written, including the rake/shovel thing.

coachwithoutahead

Nov 21, 2008
Having good hands in hockey is all about using the right moves in the right situation. Despite what previous posters have said, ANYONE can learn to be an effective puck-handler in time, there are just many variable factors that go into reaching a high proficiency of this skill. Anyway, follow these steps - be dedicated, observant and patient - and you'll start to notice significant improvements...or your money back! :laugh:

1. Choose a stick type that is right for you.
High-Curve Blade:
+: Accurate and heavy wrist shot
-: Below-average back-hand versatility

Moderate-Curve Blade:
+: Above-average wrist shot
-: Fair back-hand versatility

Flat Blade:
+: Great back-hand versatility
-: Below-average wrist shot

2. Find a place to practice. Give yourself plenty of room to skate and stick handle. Ice is ideal, but if you don't have access to a rink, smooth concrete will work.

3. Go to http://video.google.com/. Search "puck handling," "stick handling," "hockey skills," "hockey drills" and anything else you can think of related to stick handling. Practice every drill you come across. Once you have basic puck control down, make an effort to spend most of your time learning drills that require you to control the puck while you are moving, rather than just standing in one area. The goal should be to be able to apply the skills to a game environment to better increase your chances of possessing the puck, allowing you more time and space to take a shot or make a pass IN A GAME. If you only learn stationary dekes, your muscles will not always know how to properly react when you try to use them at high skating speeds.

4. As if you haven't exhausted the internet archives enough, watch and analyze film of the great stick handlers in professional hockey history. Also, watch videos of the best stick handling moments in professional hockey history. This is a good collection of some advanced moved: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7Q5Y4oFeik

5. Pick one situation that you like the best, take note of the obstacles and try to recreate and practice that event. You will need a nice collection of pucks, sticks, cones and barrels to use in these drills. Set up the obstacles as close as you can get to the actual distances in the video. Take note of angle of every limb of every player involved, how far the puck travels on each move and what part of the stick is used at each time during the move. Skate through the move slowly and work your speed up as you go along. If you keep messing up at a certain spot, slow down and evaluate why you keep making this mistake. Once you feel like you can pull off the move at the speed of a professional, move onto the next move and repeat.

6. Find a good, aspiring defenseman, team up, and practice what you have learned on him. Practicing alone properly can take you from being a novice to being a skilled stick handler, but nothing is more valuable then learning against a human.

Canad93

Jan 21, 2008
Im dominant righty with left hand up top. After reading a few months ago about the whole toilet paper thing and when i did it, my right hand was subconsciuosly loose. I think by playing so much i just naturally developed the soft touch down low. Now if I try a lefty stick, which I often do for fun, i am a stickhandling mess with my right hand up top. I think my left wrist just became stronger, but i never really put focus on having a loose bottom hand(my right hand) but when i focused on it, i have been doing it all along.

The benefit, to me is in the shooting. My stickhandling is fine wiht my "weaker" hand up top, and I can do the toe drags, backhand toe drags and the like. When i first picked up a stick I always felt comfortable with the left up top. the "shovel/rake" trick where you hand a kid a shovel and the way they shovel they should hold a stick never applied to me. I rake/shovel both ways. When I get tired one way, i switch to the other.

In hindsight I have always been kinda ambidextrous, though i say right hand dominant cause I can't write worth **** with my left hand, though its plausible the wrist is just as strong as my right.

I really dont think its handicapping me as I believe I have the right technique. And if I were to make a switch now, I would never be able to play hockey again, right hand on top just feels THAT weird

I also dont think its THAT uncommon in the NHL. 2 specifically on the Caps are Semin and Ovechkin. Both Righty dominant and Right handed shots.........

I'm pretty sure being right dominant and having a right low hand is more common than not..I only know two people who aren't like that (not in the NHL)

Canad93

Jan 21, 2008
Cool, I got the smart hockey ball, but what the heck is the swedish ball?

It's a little wooden ball that's used for practicing.
Light, around the size of a golf ball. It's supposed to mimic the feel of the puck (contact point, slide)

Canad93

Jan 21, 2008
4. As if you haven't exhausted the internet archives enough, watch and analyze film of the great stick handlers in professional hockey history. Also, watch videos of the best stick handling moments in professional hockey history. This is a good collection of some advanced moved: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7Q5Y4oFeik

This video is amazing. I just watched it twice, to try to get my head around some of the plays. Very inspiring.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I've never heard about this top hand business before, but I'm definitely going to experiment with that.

http://www.hockeyshot.ca/Soft_Hands_Stickhandling_Device_p/stickhandling-aid-004.htm

I picked up one of these for my kid ... the improvement over the last couple of months has been amazing just from 10 or 15 minutes a day in the driveway or before practice.... He was already playing in the top level for his age. One of the other parents who actually happened to be in the NHL back in the 80's told me my kid was holding his stick wrong on one-timers and carrying the puck and said he'd gotten it for his kid ... he said it will help and he's certainly been right!! Great for around 10 bucks plus shipping!!

SSM12

May 30, 2004
North Carolina, USA
A lot of it for me is read and react. I am very good at knowing where everyone around me is so I can weave. I also have go to moves in situations that are common, like double teams and the like, but alot of it is pure reaction IMO

BadHammy*

A lot of it for me is read and react. I am very good at knowing where everyone around me is so I can weave. I also have go to moves in situations that are common, like double teams and the like, but alot of it is pure reaction IMO

True and as you practice and get better, the reactions get better and faster.

SSM12

May 30, 2004
North Carolina, USA
True and as you practice and get better, the reactions get better and faster.
ya which is why I hate going back from Inline to Ice cause in Inline I get complacent and really dont have to try to react as quickly cause you have more space due to 4 on 4 vs Ice which is 5 on 5. It takes me a game or 2 to adjust

BadHammy*

Playing a lot lately and I see it all the time. People who don't know how to use the top hand properly have no toe control, and a lot of no other type of blade control too:D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad