Soderberg v. Spooner

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
If we base our decision on what each has accomplished thus far in his Bruins career is there any question? It's Soderberg's production vs. Spooner's potential.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Soderberg at LW, Spooner at center. I think Carl acclimated himself better as a player as he played more, and he would have played better regardless of his position.

Lucic Krejci Marchand (Marchand shoots a fair amount and shoots really well on his off wing)
Gagne Bergeron Smith
Soderberg Spooner Eriksson
Paille Campbell Fraser

eh why not! hopefully Caron and Kelly are nowhere near the team, and maybe Gagne finds some magic with Bergeron...who knows, nobody expected Marchand or Smith to be this good, maybe Bergeron makes his wingers better than they are. I think we need to keep all the offensive talent we can, we only have a few really good ones, mostly we have two way players and no elite offensive ones.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
I like Spooner, even if he might not be a perfect fit for this team, but how can you expect anyone to choose him over the one and only Yeti?? Carl proved himself to be among the top 3rd line centers in the league last season, while Spooner is still trying to crack the lineup.

Spoons definitely has the stuff to be an NHL center, but trying to morph himself into an effective winger may be a losing proposition for BOTH the Bruins and Spooner himself. And what's more, he does not exactly fit the mold centering the type of 4th line we are used to seeing the Bruins ice... he's undersized and lacks the grit. With all that said, i think his greatest value to the team may ultimately be as a quality trading chip (and i know i am not alone). Time will tell.

While Soderberg's contract status beyond this season is still an unknown, it's nice to still have Spooner (and/or Koko) around as a quasi-insurance policy. I like both of the young centers a lot and i've had the opportunity to see them play quite a bit as i live 10 minutes from the Dunkin Donuts Center in Providence. But i'm not convinced Yeti will end up shaking Chiarelli down for as much as he can get... i think/hope he'll be more inclined to stay where he is and with what is familiar as long as Chia is not blatantly unfair to him. Maybe he also appreciates Chia's patience -- as well as the fans' patience -- with him as he was hiding with the other Yetis in Scandinavia all those years.

Nothing wrong with being an optimist ;)

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
You could get something good for Soderberg, right now carl is above Spoon, but potential speaking, Spoon is the guy i would retain.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I`d package Spoons and Boychuk together, see if that could yield a solid and NHL proven winger

I don`t see Spooner ever getting the opportunity here that he would elsewhere on a team who isn`t set up the middle. Playing on the 4th line IMO is a waste for a guy like him

While I appreciate his skill set, speed and vision, in the system which this team plays, under this coach, he has a ways to go for CJ to feel confident enough in him to place him ahead of Carl

There are times where I have wished Julien allows a kid to play, but this isn`t one of them

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I definitely understand why people would say Soderberg, but we might have to pay him $5 million+ to be a 3rd line center. I just think the transition of giving that role to Spooner next year makes a ton of sense from a cost standpoint.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I definitely understand why people would say Soderberg, but we might have to pay him $5 million+ to be a 3rd line center. I just think the transition of giving that role to Spooner next year makes a ton of sense from a cost standpoint.

Yeah, it's a good debate really.

I can't vote as I don't have an answer. Soderberg for THIS season and Spooner for after this season? Don't really know. :dunno:

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Spooner is pretty damned good and will be a very productive NHLer.

I honestly think Soderberg has the potential to be a 70-80 pt player if he got 1st line minutes on another team. Therefore, I'd love to keep him around as the best 3rd line center around.

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
I'd work on an extension for Carl after Christmas and most likely trade him over the summer. I think I see a good NHLer in Spooner and if we moved him I doubt we get equal value in return so I'd like to see him as our full time 3rd line center next year.

That said Soderberg is the better player right now and can help us the most.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I voted Soda but really the poll/question is ********.
Without knowing what the return is for each in the proposal, the question has little meat to it.

I think it's meant who would you want to retain in the offseason when they're both free agents, not trading either one of them right now. While it would seem crazy to not resign Spooner either way, I guess the OP is going for the angle of how long you can hold him back for without giving him a real opportunity instead of just flipping him for another asset.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I think it's meant who would you want to retain in the offseason when they're both free agents, not trading either one of them right now. While it would seem crazy to not resign Spooner either way, I guess the OP is going for the angle of how long you can hold him back for without giving him a real opportunity instead of just flipping him for another asset.

Gotcha. Thanks.

I guess for me it would depend on salary and term then.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
And Soderberg won't hit $5 million per season

Curious to hear why you think that? Forwards that have gotten $5 million+ the last couple years in UFA (when the cap will probably be lower than it will be next offseason):

Bolland, Vrbata, Grabovski, Moulson, Cammalleri, Filppula, Clarkson

The guy has toiled away in Sweden for the first part of his career (not sure how much he made, but I can't believe it would be all that much) and signed an extremely cheap deal for 3 years making him a UFA in the prime of his career. Why would you not go for the jugular on your big chance at a payday?

If he is the same or even better this year, there would probably be a decent amount of teams that would be interested in giving him a shot as their #2 C, especially considering he'll still be south of 30. That's at least $5 million in today's NHL.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Curious to hear why you think that? Forwards that have gotten $5 million+ the last couple years in UFA (when the cap will probably be lower than it will be next offseason):

Bolland, Vrbata, Grabovski, Moulson, Cammalleri, Filppula, Clarkson

The guy has toiled away in Sweden for the first part of his career (not sure how much he made, but I can't believe it would be all that much) and signed an extremely cheap deal for 3 years making him a UFA in the prime of his career. Why would you not go for the jugular on your big chance at a payday?

If he is the same or even better this year, there would probably be a decent amount of teams that would be interested in giving him a shot as their #2 C, especially considering he'll still be south of 30. That's at least $5 million in today's NHL.
Soderberg apparently is a different cat. I believe the Bruins have an excellent relationship with him and trust and loyalty seem to be in his DNA. There is a reason there are so many flavors of ice cream- someone has to eat them- and not everyone is about every last cent. I think he'll take a very fair contract from a team he likes in a place he apparently likes and get the security he appears to covert.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Soderberg will make the Bruins a better team this year and for years to come. I'm really surprised that folks see him as trade material.

Spooner has no chance to beat him out of a job in Boston anytime soon.

Last edited:

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
CS is the real deal. If we can lock him up long term we are set down the middle.

And he is a C. It's where he really thrived last year

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I voted Soda but really the poll/question is ********.
Without knowing what the return is for each in the proposal, the question has little meat to it.

I'm the OP. The way I see it, Spooner and Soderberg will not both be Bruins at the start of the 2015-2016 season. So there is a choice. Either let Soderberg walk in free agency, or trade Spooner for some assets. I assumed some basic familiarity with the situation (i.e. Soderberg's contract expiration). There are two important unknown variables: 1) what will Soderberg's new cap hit be, and 2) what will Spooner net in a trade. I suppose each person has to make a reasonable guess at those variables when choosing.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I think Soderberg is better than/as good as Spooner will ever be, but it is true we can't be paying a 3rd line center 5m.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006

it'll be a 4x4.5. enough security, more term than he's earned (to date, not just NHL) all in the first season. He's probably giving up a bit in salary but that would seem like a no-brainer to me (in this, always rising, market).

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

carl has always seemed to be more interested in comfort/security than money. i'm gonna guess he's angling for somewhere between 3.5 and 4 million on a long term deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad