Olympics: Soderberg Coming to NHL

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
thumb_460.jpg

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/3/8/4079440/carl-soderberg-boston-bruins

The Boston Bruins are in discussions with forward prospect Carl Soderberg, according to Darren Dreger of TSN on Thursday night.

Soderberg is currently playing with Linköpings HC of the Swedish Elite League. According to Dreger, he potentially could join the Bruins after the team is finished with the playoffs.

Dreger reports that the Bruins view Soderberg as a versatile forward who could play wing or center on their second line.

What is your guys thoughts on this? How good is he really? What kind of role could he fill on the Bruins?

We currently need a winger for our 3rd line. Hoping he can fill that spot for us.

Any insight? Thanks :)

WayneBruce

Jun 16, 2011
He's the most complete forward in the SEL imo. No real weakness in his game. I think he could do well in the NHL down the road.

Jun 30, 2008
Sweden
He's a fantastic player, and as already mentioned, probably the most complete player in the SEL. It genuinely makes me happy to see him take the chance, because he truly is good enough to play in the NHL.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Never thought I would be this happy about a skåning who plays for LCHF and about to join the teddy bears of the national hockey league. But good luck to him. I think he will do well over there as a 2nd/3rd line center.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Hockey's Future have a funny rating of him, a second liner rated " F", i.e.: "A player possessing little potential who has a mountain to climb just to reach the outermost boundary of that potential".

And then the punchline:
Future:

Unlikely to return to North America.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Hockey's Future have a funny rating of him, a second liner rated " F", i.e.: "A player possessing little potential who has a mountain to climb just to reach the outermost boundary of that potential".

And then the punchline:

You never know, maybe he'll be back in Sweden early next season. I would certainly not label him "A player possessing little potential" though. I wonder if he's reached the outermost boundary of his small potential;)

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012

Komarov still has a 5F rating and not that long ago his future was something like "checking forward at amateur league level, unlikely to produce many points at any level". He turned out to be 1st line player in the KHL and bottom-6 NHL player. Not to mention that for example Duncan Keith had 6C rating when graduated. So.. yeah, you get the point.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Remember that the Swedish federation and MÃ¥rts own the rights to use him over the World Champs as per the transfer agreement. They can nix a transfer this season. That said they were perfectly fine with letting Silfverberg go.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Remember that the Swedish federation and MÃ¥rts own the rights to use him over the World Champs as per the transfer agreement. They can nix a transfer this season. That said they were perfectly fine with letting Silfverberg go.

Having the right to do something and actually be stupid enough to do it is two different things. Sorry son, you will not make those millions this years, you will honor your country and play for free. Are you motivated?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Having the right to do something and actually be stupid enough to do it is two different things. Sorry son, you will not make those millions this years, you will honor your country and play for free. Are you motivated?

Not advocating for it, but hard to imagine money playing a part this season. More like having another opportunity to win something. And there's no salaries in the NHL playoffs.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Yeah, it's well known here in Sweden that the only reason why Carl has'nt been in the NHL for years now is that his apparent love or need to stay home triumphed it, maybe insecurity what do i know i have never experienced a case like him aside from maybe Jörgen Jönsson. Later perhaps the eye injury as well. But he's always been a talent for the NHL, he has all the tools.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
who in the current NHL would you compare him to?

I dont even know what to tell you. He's big, strong on the puck, he's got poise, he can pass, he knows where to be. On whatever level he's been tried at(Unfortunately in his odd case), after some adjusting he can play and excel there. This last season he's suddenly a great goalscorer.

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
In the SEL I just compare him to a tank with the handling and drive characteristics as a BMW 5-series.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Franzen is also a natural center put on the wing for NHL duty, so that fits.

You dont think Söderberg is a conclusively better playmaker than Franzén? That obviously dont have to mean he can play like that in the NHL but i dont think Franzén ever has shown that kind of ability, at any level.

Edit: It's funny, there was a time when i almost despised this guy for not making the most out of his career. This was before the swedish classes born in 1987 and later showed to be really good. Now we perhaps dont really need him in five years time, but if he quickly shows up to be real solid at the NHL level it would be nice to have him on a wing in Sochi. I dont think it can be totally impossible especially since it's played on big ice.

Last edited:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
You dont think Söderberg is a conclusively better playmaker than Franzén? That obviously dont have to mean he can play like that in the NHL but i dont think Franzén ever has shown that kind of ability, at any level.

Edit: It's funny, there was a time when i almost despised this guy for not making the most out of his career. This was before the swedish classes born in 1987 and later showed to be really good. Now we perhaps dont really need him in five years time, but if he quickly shows up to be real solid at the NHL level it would be nice to have him on a wing in Sochi. I dont think it can be totally impossible especially since it's played on big ice.

Purely as a setup man, yeah probably. But I think they're both so good at scoring goals and likes to shoot that the difference becomes negligible. Especially at the next level where most of the free space is taken away. If Calle can adapt I truly think he can be an above average NHL player. Clear 25-25 potential. You just never know how he'll look.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad