"Socks are part of your protective gear"

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
:D I'll get pictures next time I'm dressed. It's really not that crazy, especially given a skate to my exposed neck and face are a bit more of a scary prospect. Maybe I should wear socks over them too.

It is crazy though because it's not the way it was designed to be used... It's like playing with your pants lose because you don't like the tightness around the waist.

You can get away with a lot in mens league I guess so if you're just starting out maybe that's where it comes from but it just wouldn't work in any kind of competitive hockey and most people just do what they've done their whole lives.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
:D I'll get pictures next time I'm dressed. It's really not that crazy, especially given a skate to my exposed neck and face are a bit more of a scary prospect. Maybe I should wear socks over them too.

The odds of getting a skate to the face or neck are orders of magnitude lower than the odds of getting a skate to the thigh.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
so I have been cut on my leg, through the sock (RBK edge) my hockey pant and long underwear. the cut was on the vastus medialis . that's the quad muscle to the inside of your thigh above your kneecap. I was able to use some dermabond (medical grade super glue) I'm a FF/P so I stopped at the hospital and talked to one of the ER nurses. I'm sure if I wasn't wearing the proper clothing in the correct way it would have been worse. I do have a sweet scar now that you can actually tell was a skate because of the hallow in the scar.

Also I have been wearing the Easton over the calf length cut socks now for about 2 months. I had a new skater guy attempt to block a shot by laying out in open hockey. I know crazy, right? anyways he slid at me like he was trying to break up a double play and his skate caught me right in the calf, luckily it was in the spot where the shinpad overlaps around to protect your calf. I figured I've been cut before so I spent the $30. just to be safe.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
i play goal and I use my socks as a second layer between my bare knee and the knee pocket of my pads. I roll the bottom up to just below the knee and leave from my knee down to my skate boot bare on the back side of my pads for air flow. Probably risky to have alot of leg uncovered, but its habit now.

howeaboutthat

Jun 20, 2012
A ways outside MI...
I'm not sure if there is any rule about wearing hockey socks (other than they must cover the shin/knee pads) but I know our hockey coach would bounce anyone for wearing their socks in the manner the OP describes. Its called a 'uniform' for a reason!

On a more practical note, how do you stop the socks' excess material working it's way loose if you only tuck them into the top of your knee/shin pads?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad