Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Was just coming to post the same thing.

Vanek/Grabner/Raffl were all pounding away the liquor before an Olympic game. Just screams irresponsible to me.

They were drinking a day and a half before their game. This would be like getting mad that someone got drunk on Saturday night when they have work Monday morning. Plus, it's Austria. It's not like they had a legit shot of even getting to a medal game. The Olympics were bonus hockey and a reason to party for them.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
They were drinking a day and a half before their game. This would be like getting mad that someone got drunk on Saturday night when they have work Monday morning. Plus, it's Austria. It's not like they had a legit shot of even getting to a medal game. The Olympics were bonus hockey and a reason to party for them.

No, it's not like getting drunk on Saturday for me. You know why? I am not representing my county trying to go for a medal in hockey regardless of how I am predicted to finish in the standings. Latvia wasn't predicted to do much either, look at how they almost caused a major upset.

It's just irresponsible. They should have known better. Their coach and country aren't too happy with them right now, but somehow people will defend them...

This little gaffe still won't stop GM's from throwing tons of money at them though, especially Vanek.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
No, it's not like getting drunk on Saturday for me. You know why? I am not representing my county trying to go for a medal in hockey regardless of how I am predicted to finish in the standings. Latvia wasn't predicted to do much either, look at how they almost caused a major upset.

It's just irresponsible. They should have known better. Their coach and country aren't too happy with them right now, but somehow people will defend them...

This little gaffe still won't stop GM's from throwing tons of money at them though, especially Vanek.

And my point is that the drinking played no part in them losing that game. It was a day and a half later... two nights of sleep, 36 hours to rehydrate, etc. You want to argue that it looked bad? Sure. But then again, I'm sure this was tame in comparison to some of the stuff going on in the Olympic village.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Yea. I don't think I'm gonna be up in arms if they got hammered over 24 hours before the actual game played.

There is always story I heard in regards to the Eagles Superbowl against the Raiders.

Vermeil had the Eagles in bed by 10, no drinking, no partying, nothing. While the Raiders did whatever they wanted, partied, drank, whored it up, they had fun.

Well what was the outcome, an utter domination by the Raiders.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Did anyone see Couturier's beard that he grew during the break/started growing prior to the break? He looks like a maniac and I love every minute of it.

FlyingSlovak

Feb 20, 2014
Slovakia
Take it for what it's worth but before the games Mesz told to Slovak newspaper that Slovak locker room is way different that Flyers one. He was praising Slovak for the fact that the guys joke around a lot...it almost sounded like he wac criticizing the Flyers. My point is, Mesz-Baranka pairing was the best in the tournament for us, not even close. Chara, Sekera were major disappointment for us which is weird, because watching all the flyers games I expected something like that from Mesz:naughty:

Make no mistake, I wanted him gone from the very beggining of the season, but if he could even approach the level he was playing these games...

Since this is my first post here, I should introduce a little. From the context it's obvious I am from Slovakia. Been following the Flyers since Carter/Richie rookie seasons.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Take it for what it's worth but before the games Mesz told to Slovak newspaper that Slovak locker room is way different that Flyers one. He was praising Slovak for the fact that the guys joke around a lot...it almost sounded like he wac criticizing the Flyers. My point is, Mesz-Baranka pairing was the best in the tournament for us, not even close. Chara, Sekera were major disappointment for us which is weird, because watching all the flyers games I expected something like that from Mesz:naughty:

Make no mistake, I wanted him gone from the very beggining of the season, but if he could even approach the level he was playing these games...

Since this is my first post here, I should introduce a little. From the context it's obvious I am from Slovakia. Been following the Flyers since Carter/Richie rookie seasons.

Meszaros seems to be on the outside looking in at the Flyers team so it's not a surprise to me.

Welcome to the boards, btw!

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009

Maybe there isn't a party atmosphere in the locker room ... that is why Timonen and Raffl had to let loose at the Olympics:sarcasm:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013

Really? I highly doubt this. The team has a bunch of 20 year olds.

FlyingSlovak

Feb 20, 2014
Slovakia
Thanks for the welcoming.

I was just very pleasantly surprised by Mesz. He hold his own in the D zone and even made that brilliant save against Russia in OT. Anyways, I blame Satan for this debacle :sarcasm:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Thanks for the welcoming.

I was just very pleasantly surprised by Mesz. He hold his own in the D zone and even made that brilliant save against Russia in OT. Anyways, I blame Satan for this debacle :sarcasm:

Mesz...with any hope, will be on another team next week.

FlyingSlovak

Feb 20, 2014
Slovakia
Sarcasm? I really suck at recognize it on the internet:laugh:

On the topic though, I am really rooting for the U.S now. Even yesterday I was, which obv wasn't well received in my family. That Canada team has to be beaten...

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia

Not just that but it's a totally different situation. So even if it's true you can't compare the Olympics to the NHL. In the Olympics you have a group of guys all from the same country, some may even have history with each other, who play 4 or 5 games for the most part and that's it. In the NHL you're playing 82 games minimum, I'm sure there were 4-5 games stretches where the team was just as light hearted and short stretches when the locker room was miserable (the beginning of the season comes to mind). Additionally Mez is a 28 year old who has been a healthy scratch for 25 or so games, I don't imagine he'd be very happy in general. All things considered I wouldn't put much stock in his comments.

Btw welcome FlyingSlovak

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Sarcasm? I really suck at recognize it on the internet:laugh:

On the topic though, I am really rooting for the U.S now. Even yesterday I was, which obv wasn't well received in my family. That Canada team has to be beaten...

Kind of, I just didn't think that locker room is that serious honestly. Hartnell & Giroux are goofs and B.Schenn/Simmonds/Couturier are all kids.

Whatever though, Mesz comments are taken with a bias I'm sure.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
BTW, I just got an email, my company is throwing a lunch to watch the US/CAN game tomorrow for everybody.

I think it helps that even though we are a US company, our parent company is Canadian.;)

FlyingSlovak

Feb 20, 2014
Slovakia
Kind of, I just didn't think that locker room is that serious honestly. Hartnell & Giroux are goofs and B.Schenn/Simmonds/Couturier are all kids.

Whatever though, Mesz comments are taken with a bias I'm sure.
Yeah, that comment surprised me also. It almost felt like he was giving it back to the flyers for beeing healthy scratch. Like it had nothing to do with his performance:laugh:

And to be clear, I am not Mesz fanboy, far from it. Hope he will be gone after this season. That 4M cap will help.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Yeah, that comment surprised me also. It almost felt like he was giving it back to the flyers for beeing healthy scratch. Like it had nothing to do with his performance:laugh:

And to be clear, I am not Mesz fanboy, far from it. Hope he will be gone after this season. That 4M cap will help.

I admit, he looked outstanding, the comment was weird. I hope he goes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad