Soccer Prospects Thread VII

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Wanna give Eric Martel some love. He's played in 19 of Köln's 24 BuLi matches this season and is a real defensive anchor. He won't polish his possession game too much on that team, but his skill with the ball has never been the question so I was more concerned about him defending against men...and he's passing that test with flying colors this season.

Feels like we're finally starting to produce high-quality 6s again with Martel, Breithaupt, and Krauß...although I'm not as impressed by Krauß as Martel & Breithaupt...starting regularly at the senior level, while Noel Aseko Nkeli anchors Bayern's U19 squad; getting closer & closer to senior team football.

...plus I still really like Stach. He feels like a Hofmann / Groß type who may not have the individual quality to be a "NT starter" caliber player, but could step into the starting lineup without sticking out in a bad way.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Wanna give Eric Martel some love. He's played in 19 of Köln's 24 BuLi matches this season and is a real defensive anchor. He won't polish his possession game too much on that team, but his skill with the ball has never been the question so I was more concerned about him defending against men...and he's passing that test with flying colors this season.

Feels like we're finally starting to produce high-quality 6s again with Martel, Breithaupt, and Krauß...although I'm not as impressed by Krauß as Martel & Breithaupt...starting regularly at the senior level, while Noel Aseko Nkeli anchors Bayern's U19 squad; getting closer & closer to senior team football.

...plus I still really like Stach. He feels like a Hofmann / Groß type who may not have the individual quality to be a "NT starter" caliber player, but could step into the starting lineup without sticking out in a bad way.
What would be a possible roster and lineup for the upcoming UEFA European Under-21 Championship in june?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
What would be a possible roster and lineup for the upcoming UEFA European Under-21 Championship in june?

Everyone eligible or just the kids who haven't made the jump to the senior NT? Expecting something like:

Thielmann - Schade - Burkardt
Krauß* - Stiller*
Martel*
Netz - Dardai - Thiaw - Fischer
Atubolu

*Breithaupt / Huseinbasic​

Including senior teamers we could send:
Moukoko
Musiala - Wirtz - Adeyemi
Martel* - Stiller*
Netz - Schlotterbeck - Bella Kotchap - Knauff
Atubolu

*Breithaupt / Krauß / Huseinbasic​

Reactions: Eye of Ra

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Everyone eligible or just the kids who haven't made the jump to the senior NT? Expecting something like:

Thielmann - Schade - Burkardt
Krauß* - Stiller*
Martel*
Netz - Dardai - Thiaw - Fischer
Atubolu

*Breithaupt / Huseinbasic​

Including senior teamers we could send:
Moukoko
Musiala - Wirtz - Adeyemi
Martel* - Stiller*
Netz - Schlotterbeck - Bella Kotchap - Knauff
Atubolu

*Breithaupt / Krauß / Huseinbasic​
How does Germany normally handle it for something like this? I think I could see some of those guys going if they don't play a ton of games down the back end and/or want to continue to recover from injury

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
How does Germany normally handle it for something like this? I think I could see some of those guys going if they don't play a ton of games down the back end and/or want to continue to recover from injury

I'm sure I'm forgetting some exceptions, but I can't think of a kid who has made his senior team debut and later been called back to the U21 team.

I think Knauff has a good chance to go to u21 euros as this iteration's Wirtz/Baku...since he hasn't debuted for the senior team yet even though he's already outgrown the U21 level...but he's the only one.

Bella Kotchap or Moukoko going wouldn't be completely shocking...though it would certainly be surprising if they weren't just left with their clubs to prepare for next season.

I can't see any chance that Schlotterbeck, Musiala, or Wirtz get sent to the U21 euros...and Adeyemi going would be a real shock too.

...I suspect we'll try to woo Wanner back by offering him Samardzic's spot as the underage creator on that U21 team, but the last we heard about him was him attending Austria's camp. So who knows :dunno:

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Always interesting when players from bigger academies come to play pro in the CPL. @Evilo do you have info on this kid?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Always interesting when players from bigger academies come to play pro in the CPL. @Evilo do you have info on this kid?

He signed with Atlético Madrid and is loaned to Ottawa if I'm not mistaken.
Don't know much about him but it's a weird move considering le Havre has chosen Bodmer as head of sports and he instantly put talented youngsters on the first team and they're torching Ligue 2. So young players actually do get great playing time a'd develop faster.

Bodmer is one name people should keep in mind. The most interesting mind in French football right now.

Reactions: robertmac43

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So Rangnick reportedly had another meeting with Wanner a couple of weeks ago where he pitched the 17yo a plan for his integration into the austrian senior team through to the 2026 WM.

The kid still hasn't made up his mind and he's not expected to be nominated for the start of the EM-qualification campaign, but it sure does feel like he's going to pull a Samardzic and opt not to have to compete with Musiala, Wirtz, Havertz, Adeyemi, etc. for PT.

It is our strongest position, but man that kid's a really special talent.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

U19 team (2004) features L1 regulars Zaire Emery (2006), Kumbedi, Yoro (2005), Fayad, Ugochukwu, phenom El Arouch, Odobert, Doue, Tel and Ben Seghir.
The two goalies (Patouillet of Lyon and Risser of Strasbourg) are high, high quality.

Completely crazy.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site

This ranking isn’t necessarily based on talent but the writers guesses at how much playing time prospects will get. Though actually playing time usually depends entirely upon the team, some MLS teams still refuse to play their academy guys (or even care about their academy) biggest offender is Houston.

So far this year there have already been a few teenagers who have played/started a fair bit. Two biggest stories so far have been Perez at St Louis because he came out of nowhere and Wiley because he’s got 3 goals and a couple assists so far.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Ferguson (2004) has really started to impress. I wasn't big on him out of the academy, but he has really solidified himself with the senior team.

Power, pace, first touch, vision: he seems to have it all.

Reactions: luiginb

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Paul Wanner has decided to continue with our youth teams for now, though he still hasn't made his final decision and can still switch to the Austrian senior team once he's done with our U21s.

Also Kenneth Schmidt is joining the U21s to replace Thiaw after he was called up to the senior team to fill in for ABK. I've really liked what I've seen of Schmidt for SCF and Freiburg II.

Last edited:

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

This kid is probably the highest touted Croatian prospect in a while. Noone was near him at his age, not Modric, not Kovacic, Rakitic, Mandzukic, not Gvardiol.

He's just turned 16 (in theory has 3 years of youth football ahead of him), plays for the senior squad, and for the youth U-18 side which just made UECL Youth Final Four.

Now, whether he hits a wall, etc... I don't know.
But I'v watched him, actual talent is genuinely there.
And I hope he doesn't go to England, Germany and France are so much better for young talent.

Last edited:

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

U19 team (2004) features L1 regulars Zaire Emery (2006), Kumbedi, Yoro (2005), Fayad, Ugochukwu, phenom El Arouch, Odobert, Doue, Tel and Ben Seghir.
The two goalies (Patouillet of Lyon and Risser of Strasbourg) are high, high quality.

Completely crazy.

These u19 could probably outplay most countries u21.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's our strongest spot, and getting Wanner to stay is an even bigger deal, but man, not having Samardzic will really hurt our U21 team this summer and I won't be the least bit surprised if he ends up being a senior NT caliber 8/10.

Good for Serbia though, with Samardzic, Ilic, and Vlahovic, they're putting some real talent around SMS.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Absolutely pointless in clubs having academies in England. Anyone half decent is stolen away before they turn 16 by the ESL mob. All thanks to the rules created by the PL, the FA and Gareth Donkey Southgate.

We've lost six players to Chelsea, Manchester City, Arsenal, Celtic, Leeds and Tottenham. Now set to lose Harry Amass (England left back0 )to Manchester United for a pittance. Before this lot there was Sancho too. What is the point ?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Kabadayi & Damar scored to pull our u19s level after a poor first half, but we ended up losing to Italy 2-3 to begin the u19 qualies.

That group isn't as stacked in attack as the 2005ers...although Kabadayi, Damar, Diehl, & Tresoldi are very interesting...but the defense should've been a lot better than this with Gechter, Morgalla, Collins, Rothe, and Ullrich.

Frauendorf & Tohumcu isn't the most defensive of partnerships behind Damar, but this was just kids getting sloppy.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad