Soccer Prospects Thread VII

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
What kind of a player do you think Brunner can become?

Tough to say with attackers until you see them against men, but maybe someone like Leao? Less explosive of an athlete, but more skilled & crafty. A wide forward who can run at defenders to create or finish what others create for him equally well.

But a lot will depend on if he can beat senior keepers as prolifically as he does youth level keepers.

Reactions: JoVel

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I saw some Depay in him.. Maybe less talented but maybe with better attitude?

Depay is tough to compare to because his attitude was such a problem that the player he ended up was very different than the player he could've been. But a bigger & smarter Depay isn't the worst comp.

Maybe a suped up version of Gnabry? Bigger, faster, smarter, more skilled, and better goal instincts.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Gnabry is a good comparison too but I feel like Brunner is more powerful.
I don't know that Brunner is more skilled though. I feel like Darvich is the talented one.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Gnabry is a good comparison too but I feel like Brunner is more powerful.
I don't know that Brunner is more skilled though. I feel like Darvich is the talented one.

He's definitely bigger & stronger than Gnabry...although Serge was a powerful kid too...but he's also a much better shooter and crosser than Gnabry was at that age, and the ball just sticks to his foot way more.

He may not develop as well as Gnabry did...I was convinced Serge would be a bust because his brain didn't match his physical tools and his touch could be stiff...but at the same age he's just better than Gnabry in every way.

I like Darvich a lot too, if we didn't already have Wirtz, Musiala, Bischoff, Wanner, etc. I would be hyping him like crazy...especially because I think he would have the most natural transition into a Gundogan-like 8 of the bunch, if he needed to move deeper at the senior level...but that doesn't make Brunner less spectacular.

IMO all 3 of Brunner, Darvich, and Ouedraogo are just fantastic talents who have a good chance of being must-start caliber players for our senior NT if they keep working hard and aren't killed by injuries. Which is a big part of why this team was so successful, it wasn't just one wunderkind driving things, it was 3 + a very good supporting cast.

I like Ramsak a lot too, even though he's not quite as gifted so it's unclear if his game will be as effective at the senior level...though I love his movement and craftiness...plus both da Silva Moreira & Kabar may be super raw as FBs, but their potential is through the roof at those spots.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I liked Ramsak. Not sure he has crazy upside, but should make a decent player.

I think you're overrating Brunner. He's a physicaly specimen in this class age, but senior football will be much tougher because he won't be able to rely on his strength to get past similar built defensemen. I don't see him as spectacular (of course, I could be dead wrong, but that's how I see it).
He's awfully strong for a U17, but not for senior football. I'm not sold at his somewhat limited skillset reaching big upside. Don't see him reaching the german NT in senior football.

Darvich is more subtle and that kind of skill always translates to older levels if he builds up his physique. He's tall and he's going to have to find balance between getting stronger, but not slower (he's not super fast already). If he does, he could be special.

I think Germany won because of excellent coaching and organisation. Their 4 men press on France's defensive players was key in the first half.

For France, I didn't see many special players either but a few with major potential. Argney I'll refrain from talking about because I'm awfully biased obviously but also because I'm not very good at judging goalies.
Meupiyou is huge for his age, and he's good with the ball, as well as calm and composed in tense situations. However, again strong players, I'm not sure he'll be as impeccable as he was in this competition, where he was easily France's best player.
Amougou is a good energy 6, but I don't see much upside in him.
Titi, the RB, is interesting and could have upside, as his position is very weak in football.
Bouabre was ups and downs but definitely was impressive in stretches and you can see the star potential. He has to find consistency. He was spectacular last Euro. I heard he played injured so that might explain.
Fode Sylla used to be the big name of this 2005 born year but he clearly has lost a step. Talent is there, but the guy has been subpar for two straight competitions now. I don't see him turning it around now.
Mathis Lambourde had a disappointing tournament with only one goal. But he too played injured and his work back to the goal is magnificent (again in the final game). I could see him develop into a nice player.
Rest of the french team was meh, although they were lacking Tel, Doue and others obviously.
I see Meupiyou with leading L1 upside, Amougou and Titi as future L1 players, Bouabre with NT potential but also maybe just a regular L1 player and Lambourde as a top half L1 player.
Then you have guys like Sanda and Gomis who will likely see some bottom half L1 games.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I take @Evilo ’s point on Brunner at this age group, but I like other aspects of his game. He’s got some pace, he’s pretty good with the ball at his feet, he’s got good instinct, he holds up the ball well and he’s scored some really nice goals even with his weaker foot. I think he’s going to be wasted out wide though if someone decides to use him that way. Still a ways to go of course.

Meuyipou at 191cm has quite the physical advantage right now, but that should be the case when he’s a pro too. He’s also got good pace, can pass the ball and is strong defensively. The kid seems a lock to me as a pro.

Big fan of Darvich. I mean the kid went from Freiburg to Barca for a start. Even if there are others he’ll have to compete with for the NT, he can always play for Catalunya with Messi in a few years. I agree with @Evilo , the kid has a subtlety to his game. Really lIke his playmaking ability.

I have them all in my keeper setup along with Echeverri, Estevao Willian, Pau Cubarsi and Hector Fort. Cubarsi I really like a lot as a CB, but his lack of pace could be a problem. He’s positionally sound though and reads the game well which should help him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I liked Ramsak. Not sure he has crazy upside, but should make a decent player.

I think you're overrating Brunner. He's a physicaly specimen in this class age, but senior football will be much tougher because he won't be able to rely on his strength to get past similar built defensemen. I don't see him as spectacular (of course, I could be dead wrong, but that's how I see it).
He's awfully strong for a U17, but not for senior football. I'm not sold at his somewhat limited skillset reaching big upside. Don't see him reaching the german NT in senior football.

Darvich is more subtle and that kind of skill always translates to older levels if he builds up his physique. He's tall and he's going to have to find balance between getting stronger, but not slower (he's not super fast already). If he does, he could be special.

I think Germany won because of excellent coaching and organisation. Their 4 men press on France's defensive players was key in the first half.

For France, I didn't see many special players either but a few with major potential. Argney I'll refrain from talking about because I'm awfully biased obviously but also because I'm not very good at judging goalies.
Meupiyou is huge for his age, and he's good with the ball, as well as calm and composed in tense situations. However, again strong players, I'm not sure he'll be as impeccable as he was in this competition, where he was easily France's best player.
Amougou is a good energy 6, but I don't see much upside in him.
Titi, the RB, is interesting and could have upside, as his position is very weak in football.
Bouabre was ups and downs but definitely was impressive in stretches and you can see the star potential. He has to find consistency. He was spectacular last Euro. I heard he played injured so that might explain.
Fode Sylla used to be the big name of this 2005 born year but he clearly has lost a step. Talent is there, but the guy has been subpar for two straight competitions now. I don't see him turning it around now.
Mathis Lambourde had a disappointing tournament with only one goal. But he too played injured and his work back to the goal is magnificent (again in the final game). I could see him develop into a nice player.
Rest of the french team was meh, although they were lacking Tel, Doue and others obviously.
I see Meupiyou with leading L1 upside, Amougou and Titi as future L1 players, Bouabre with NT potential but also maybe just a regular L1 player and Lambourde as a top half L1 player.
Then you have guys like Sanda and Gomis who will likely see some bottom half L1 games.

I dunno how Ramsak's game will translate to the higher levels because he's not as skilled as the top 3 and his physical tools don't stand out either, but he's crafty, combative, and has a great sense for space.

And yeah, we seem to rate Brunner's skill level differently. I see high level dribbling & touch, even if he's no Musiala or Wirtz, with a phenomenal shot & excellent crossing ability. All from a kid who also happens to be a plus athlete with very good size.

Agreed about Darvich, though I won't be surprised if he pushes Wirtz & Musiala for their spots in the creative band, I'm low-key optimistic that he will move deeper...like Ilkay did at the senior level...to help link the back 4 + DM with the front 4.

It's a shame injuries took such a whack out of this squad. Ouedraogo would've been huge...especially in that second half when you guys turned it on, as his introduction turned that first match we played in the group stages of the euros, on its head...but Bence Dardai was a big miss too.

He might be the most talented of the Dardai kids, and if it weren't for Darvich I think he could've been a star for this team. He's not as slick and mobile as Darvich, but he's bigger, with a better shot, and he might be an even better long-ball passer. Dardai isn't on the same level as those top 3, but I rate him more than Herrmann or Yalcinkaya, and he's not far off Ramsak.

I have nothing but praise for the coaching staff, but our possession play was pretty poor at this tourney. If Brunner and Darvich weren't so deadly whenever we actually got the ball to them, we would've been stopped long before that final.

And we actually didn't press very high, if you rewatch the match you can see that were in more of a mid block, letting your CBs have time on the ball & instead trying to smother the passing lanes forward to Bouabre & Amougou...who didn't pop much but did play a couple nice through balls that made me take note of his name.

Meupiyou looked very good, but I get your concerns. It's why I have a tough time getting to excited by CBs until they're at the U19s and close to the senior level. Like Odogu had a very strong tournament, but I dunno how to rate him since he won't have as significant of physical advantages at the senior level and he didn't show the kind of transcendent skill or intelligence for me to get hyped despite those questions.

I'm glad Bouabre finished the tourney well even if he was more up & down than he was at the euros. Kid was a beast in that final (as well as the euros) and looks like he could be another Kone level prospect for you. I'm with you on Lambourde as well, he may have had a quiet tourney, but he really popped at the euros.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes it was not a pressing in the sense that our Dmen were under pressure but more in a cutting lanes kind of way. Rarely do you see 4 forwards pushing up to midfield to block passing attempts.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yes it was not a pressing in the sense that our Dmen were under pressure but more in a cutting lanes kind of way. Rarely do you see 4 forwards pushing up to midfield to block passing attempts.

Yeah the front 4 definitely committed to defending. That’s part of why I can see Darvich moving deeper as he fills out.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Is France going to be able to find him minutes at center back though? France has a factory at that position
I think so yes. He's only 18. In 4 years the CBs for the NT won't have Lucas for example. Saliba, Konate, Upamecano and Todibo are the main guys. There's a serious possibility Yoro is better than a few of them in 4 years.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think so yes. He's only 18. In 4 years the CBs for the NT won't have Lucas for example. Saliba, Konate, Upamecano and Todibo are the main guys. There's a serious possibility Yoro is better than a few of them in 4 years.

And you couldn't have just let us have Upa? Jerk.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah french nationality... 😁

Sane has a French grandmother and ABK came up through our academies after moving as a young child. Those don't really count, send us this next kid since you were so greedy with Upa!

That is, if you're not too scared to strengthen us after the way our U17s just swept yours :D

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Sane has a French grandmother and ABK came up through our academies after moving as a young child. Those don't really count, send us this next kid since you were so greedy with Upa!

That is, if you're not too scared to strengthen us after the way our U17s just swept yours :D
To be honest I like these guys play for Germany. That's where they learnt their football and to me it's all that matters

Reactions: luiginb

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
To be honest I like these guys play for Germany. That's where they learnt their football and to me it's all that matters

Well then you should've let us have Upa! You didn't think he was anything special when he came to Germany, we taught him to be good :sarcasm:

I do wish players careers didn't have to influence their decisions and kids could just play for the team that they genuinely felt the most connected too.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoVel

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No I never said he wasn't special. I said he needed to make some big mental progresses.... which is still true.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Are any of the Sweden posters in here aware of Momodou Lamin Sonko?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Kids with the potential to be NT starters (not in any order)

Musiala, AM/W
Wirtz, AM/W
Moukoko, FW
Havertz, AM/W/FW
Adeyemi, W/FW
Weiper, FW
Gruda, W/AM
Beier, FW/W
Schade, W/FW
Brunner, W/FW
Darvich, AM/W
Ramsak, FW/W