Soccer Books:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Hey guys, I have been reading a lot of soccer books over the past couple of months and I was hoping people would have some suggestions for books to add to the reading list.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
In terms of books treating one aspect or another of the sport's history I'd always recommend:

All Played Out by Pete Davies
Brilliant Orange by David Winner
Football Against the Enemy by Simon Kuper
Morbo by Phil Ball
tor! by Ulrich Hesse-Lichtenberger
The History of the World Cup by Brian Glanville

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
In terms of books treating one aspect or another of the sport's history I'd always recommend:

All Played Out by Pete Davies
Brilliant Orange by David Winner
Football Against the Enemy by Simon Kuper
Morbo by Phil Ball
tor! by Ulrich Hesse-Lichtenberger
The History of the World Cup by Brian Glanville

Brilliant Orange is...brilliant. One of my favorite sports books. Anything by Kuper is fantastic.

For a dose of American flavor I highly recommend Soccer in a Football World (name of author escapes me but I think he passed away a few years back).

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
xUntitled-3.jpg,q1464771727.pagespeed.ic.oZLR4dB1wj.jpg

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I loved:

“Bloody Confused” by Chuck Culpepper. Really cool book about the EPL and lower English leagues and cups. Is written by an American who moved to England knowing nothing about soccer and his experience. I found it super entertaining and it was a very quick read (you could get it done in a day or two).

Reactions: robertmac43

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
What’s the opinion on Declan Hill’s - “The Fix: Soccer and Organized Crime”?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Has anyone read "Why Everything you Know About Soccer is Wrong" ?

Currently reading through it right now I do not know what to make of some of the claims by Chris Anderson and David Sally/ Especially the first chapter which essentially pins soccer as a coin flip game where luck accounts for 50% of a teams ability to win and skill the other 50%.

Just seems like a lackluster claim to me and I was wondering if anyone has read the book and has any insight on it.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Sorry for the bump.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any good books on Non-League football in England or anything along those lines.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Most have been mentioned already but I also like “A Season with Verona” by Tim Parks

Parks is an English professor living in Verona and he basically writes about a Hellas Verona season in the early 2000s where he goes to every home and away match and each chapter is basically each round of the season (the last page of each chapter is the Serie A results and table for that week).

It’s interesting because Hellas was in a relegation scrap the entire season so every result matters, he writes about the travel experiences all over Italy on buses/trains and the Italian ultras culture (Hellas ultras are hardcore right wing and prone to racism even towards their own players and also very anti-southern Italy). Overall a good read and I usually see at least one copy in the sports section at Barnes and Noble

Yorkshire Leaf

Nov 13, 2014
The City of York
Sorry for the bump.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any good books on Non-League football in England or anything along those lines.

The Bottom Corner - Nige Tassell, worth a read but a lot of the references won’t mean much to those outside of England.

As for general football books anything by David Conn is worth a read, particularly The Beautiful Game?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
For those who want a quick(ish) read that is quite insightful, check out 21st Club's Changing the Conversation. It's 2 volumes on "insights for football club boardrooms" and is based on their blog.

Informative and fun to read! I highly recommend!

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Big Sam also has a good autobiography for those interested in the manager point of view.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
I find it very hard to believe that Sam Allardyce would have written an autobiography.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad