Rumor: Sobotka to return to St.Louis per his agent

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
We've heard like 10 times that he's coming back or he's staying in the KHL. When we see him on the ice in either a Blues jersey or an Omsk jersey we will know for sure

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
With Backes gone, he has more chance to be able to secure a top9 center spot.

Still has to beat Lehtera, Statsny, Steen and Berglund but it's one less :laugh:

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
With Backes gone, he has more chance to be able to secure a top9 center spot.

Still has to beat Lehtera, Statsny, Steen and Berglund but it's one less :laugh:

he'll centre the 3rd, hes one of the best faceoff men in the world.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Everyone knows he owes the Blues one year at 2.7M. Which clown wrote this article?

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I do hope he comes back. Could be a nice help on our 3rd Unit/Shutdown Line. Can also produce 30+ points.

As for him playing center, Steen and Berglund can play on the wing, and he can't possibly be worse than Lehtera. Maybe I'm biased because I hate Lehtera but outside of Paajarvi I'd argue Lehtera is the most useless player. Sobotka should not have a problem getting a top 9 spot.

Skiffer55

Logan Stanley's Cup
Jun 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I do hope he comes back. Could be a nice help on our 3rd Unit/Shutdown Line. Can also produce 30+ points.

As for him playing center, Steen and Berglund can play on the wing, and he can't possibly be worse than Lehtera. Maybe I'm biased because I hate Lehtera but outside of Paajarvi I'd argue Lehtera is the most useless player. Sobotka should not have a problem getting a top 9 spot.

Do most blues fans hate Lehtera? I always thought he was decent but I never really spent a game paying attention to him.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
I don't like the bad rep that Lehtera gets

he's significantly better defensively than expected and can pass well. If he actually gets an offseason to work on his conditioning, it might go a long way.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I don't like the bad rep that Lehtera gets

he's significantly better defensively than expected and can pass well. If he actually gets an offseason to work on his conditioning, it might go a long way.

And for being fairly slow, he's a great forechecker. I think people just get turned off by 1. his contract, and 2. his Jekyll and Hyde quality. When he's playing with Schwartz and Tarasenko, he's a low-end first liner, when he's playing with anybody else, he's a good third liner. The problem is that when Tarasenko gets off his game, Lehtera can't seem to stabilize him, so they get split up and then fans start to think of Lehtera as more of a depth player.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
he'll centre the 3rd, hes one of the best faceoff men in the world.

I actually predict he will be RW on the 3rd. At least to start the season. They will try experiments with Steen and Fabbri on Tarasenko's line. Stasny will center the 2nd line. That leaves Lehtera on the 3rd. Sobotka is a better face-off guy, so he will take the important face-offs for that line, but otherwise line up at RW. If Jaskin or Rattie have a good camp and can claim that spot, Sobotka might even drop to 4th line. If the Steen and Stastny experiments fail, Lehtera will move up with Tarasenko and it will open up that 3rd line center role for Sobotka.

Brendonhayden

Jan 25, 2016
My lineup predictions for game one if sobotka is here
Schwartz lethera tank
Fabbri Stasney Perron
Steen sobotka berglund
Jaskin Brodsiak upshall
Most blues fan like lethera but he has terrible conditioning if it was good or at least decent he could be a good top six player.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Schwartz lethera tank
Fabbri Stasney Perron
Steen sobotka berglund
Jaskin Brodsiak upshall
Most blues fan like lethera but he has terrible conditioning if it was good or at least decent he could be a good top six player.

I like how people keep referring to Tarasenko as nicknames that he specifically requested not to be called.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I actually predict he will be RW on the 3rd. At least to start the season. They will try experiments with Steen and Fabbri on Tarasenko's line. Stasny will center the 2nd line. That leaves Lehtera on the 3rd. Sobotka is a better face-off guy, so he will take the important face-offs for that line, but otherwise line up at RW. If Jaskin or Rattie have a good camp and can claim that spot, Sobotka might even drop to 4th line. If the Steen and Stastny experiments fail, Lehtera will move up with Tarasenko and it will open up that 3rd line center role for Sobotka.
The only problem with that is that 3rd line would probably suck, and Sobotka would be better on the left side anyways.

I'd rather see a Steen-Sobotka-Berglund line.

I like how people keep referring to Tarasenko as nicknames that he specifically requested not to be called.
Well when Alex Steen calls him that, the fans have the right to as well. Maybe Vladdy should tell his teammate to shut up if he truly has a problem with it, lol.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Schwartz lethera tank
Fabbri Stasney Perron
Steen sobotka berglund
Jaskin Brodsiak upshall

That lineup is a #1 Center away from being a major contender.

They should really look to deal Shattenkirk for RNH to see if they can get more out of him.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
We've heard like 10 times that he's coming back or he's staying in the KHL. When we see him on the ice in either a Blues jersey or an Omsk jersey we will know for sure
At this point, I wonder if his agent is hard-selling his NHL return as leverage for a better KHL deal.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
Do most blues fans hate Lehtera? I always thought he was decent but I never really spent a game paying attention to him.

He's been underwhelming thus far, particularly after flying out of the gate when he first got here.

The issue is that he signed a substantial extension (to start this fall) after his first season. It was obviously based on the presumption that he'd improve. Instead he got worse.

In year one he put up 14g-44p. In year two dropped to 9g-34p. If he can produce like he did in his first year his new deal will be... OK. If he can improve and be a 50-60p player then it'll be a really solid contract. If he just repeats what he did last year then it'll be a disaster.

The fact that his production pace in his first two years is almost identical to what Sobotka did in his last two years with the Blues is really disconcerting. Lehtera is fine defensively, but he's not close to Sobotka in that regard, and he was supposed to be a guy who could step into our Top 6 in a way that Sobotka never really could. So far that hasn't been the case.

You can see the offensive potential when watching him, but it hasn't translated outside of a good couple months when he first got here. He had offseason surgery last summer, which likely hurt his conditioning, so hopefully he can rebound this year.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
The fact that his production pace in his first two years is almost identical to what Sobotka did in his last two years with the Blues is really disconcerting. Lehtera is fine defensively, but he's not close to Sobotka in that regard, and he was supposed to be a guy who could step into our Top 6 in a way that Sobotka never really could. So far that hasn't been the case.

You can see the offensive potential when watching him, but it hasn't translated outside of a good couple months when he first got here. He had offseason surgery last summer, which likely hurt his conditioning, so hopefully he can rebound this year.

Sobi's best offensive output was still worse then lehtera's worst. I get the contract concerns, but let's not recreate history here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad