Line Combos: Sobotka returns, but who sits?

illninofan*

Once Sobotka gets back, that will solidify our 2nd/3rd lines (well...at least until the offseason and then we go after "you know who" :naughty: ).

You can either put him between Schwartz and Frank on the second line, or you can put him on the 3rd line with Ott (the only other constant on that line).

So, then, who sits and how do the lines shake out?

For me, the answer is simple: Roy.

Roy hasn't wowed me and has been very "meh" all season, even more so lately (he hasn't scored in a LONG time). I thought his offensive skills would be an asset (especially on the powerplay) in the playoffs, but I don't see this getting any better once the playoffs actually get here, and I see him being one of the first to disappear once the tight checking begins. Basically, Andy McDonald v.2014.

However, Hitch likes his vets, and Paajarvi will be the one to go to the pressbox (which I'm okay with too, honestly...I will say that I do think he'll be much better in the coming seasons. Once he puts on more bulk, his speed, size and hands will make him a valuable asset).

Sobotka and Ott will be an absolute pain in the ass to play against for other teams, but fun to watch for us...too tempting to pass up.

Lines would more than likely shake out like this:

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Schwartz-Berglund-Tarasenko
Roy-Sobotka-Ott
Morrow-Lapierre-Reaves

What I would like to see, however:

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Schwartz-Berglund-Tarasenko
Ott-Sobotka-Jaskin
Morrow-Lapierre-Reaves

This probably won't happen, but a guy can dream, right? :dunno:

Jaskin's skating ability isn't great, however, he plays a simple/mean game built for the playoffs. He runs into people out there and isn't afraid to go to the net.

Anyway, what do you all think will happen once Sobotka gets back, and how will (should) the lines look?

Last edited by a moderator:

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I'd start to rotate between Morrow and Roy, just so Morrow can be plenty rested for playoff time. When Playoffs come Roy and MPS.

But I'd like to see Schwartz-Sobotka-Tarasenko or Berglund-Sobotka-Tarasenko. I don't want to see Berglund playing center for at least the rest of this year, he is head and shoulders better on the wing. We need to capitalize on his strengths for the remainder of the season (including playoffs) not try to build his weaknesses up. It's to late in the year for that, we need the best we can get out of him, and that's not at center.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Knee injuries are tricky and their effects tend to linger. So, I would wait to see what level of play Sobotka is able to contribute before I speculate.

Kind Sir

Dec 19, 2013
I would sit Roy as well, for many reasons (no matter where I put him, I have one better player to start), but NOT because "he sucks."

Morrow could use a week to catch up on The Flintstones, whenever it's convenient.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I'd start to rotate between Morrow and Roy, just so Morrow can be plenty rested for playoff time. When Playoffs come Roy and MPS.

But I'd like to see Schwartz-Sobotka-Tarasenko or Berglund-Sobotka-Tarasenko. I don't want to see Berglund playing center for at least the rest of this year, he is head and shoulders better on the wing. We need to capitalize on his strengths for the remainder of the season (including playoffs) not try to build his weaknesses up. It's to late in the year for that, we need the best we can get out of him, and that's not at center.

Berglund has been a lot better at center between Schwartz and Tarasenko than he has on the third line. It does help to play with some high quality linemates. I do think in the playoffs it should be Sobotka between Ott and Morrow. That line would be a massive pain in the ass to play against.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Our PP has been trash for awhile now. Roy is trash on the 4th line. And MPS brings more scoring ability to the 4th line then morrow...if roy dosnt sit then morrow would imo

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Roy hasn't done jack on the PP or on even-strength and I don't think he'll be any more useful in the playoffs. I'd sit him easily.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
I'd switch it up, give everyone some rest time. St. Louis has the depth where one game without Backes or one game without Steen isn't going to hurt them. With the Olympics and the condensed schedule heading into the playoffs, some extra rest can't hurt.

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
I'd switch it up, give everyone some rest time. St. Louis has the depth where one game without Backes or one game without Steen isn't going to hurt them. With the Olympics and the condensed schedule heading into the playoffs, some extra rest can't hurt.

I agree with this strategy. The Blues however are going to be too concerned with chasing down the President's Trophy to do that.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
This would be best. We still played great hockey without the top line.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I say we will probably rotate Morrow and MPS on the 4th line to keep Brenden fresh for the playoffs.

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Schwartz-Roy-Tarasenko
Berglund-Sobotka-Ott
Morrow-Lapierre-Reaves

You can swap Roy and Sobotka if you want, but I think Derek playing with Jaden and Vladi would really elevate his game(just like it has with Berglund), that and he doesn't fit well playing a bottom 6 role.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I say we will probably rotate Morrow and MPS on the 4th line to keep Brenden fresh for the playoffs.

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Schwartz-Roy-Tarasenko
Berglund-Sobotka-Ott
Morrow-Lapierre-Reaves

You can swap Roy and Sobotka if you want, but I think Derek playing with Jaden and Vladi would really elevate his game(just like it has with Berglund), that and he doesn't fit well playing a bottom 6 role.
Roy shouldn't be anywhere near Schwartz and Tarasenko in the playoffs. They will almost certainly be with either Berglund or Sobotka. Roy is going to get abosolutely mauled in the playoffs if he keeps playing like this. We don't need a passenger on that line. At least Berglund and Sobotka have shown they are willing to play the style that Hitch wants and have been successful at it.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Roy shouldn't be anywhere near Schwartz and Tarasenko in the playoffs. They will almost certainly be with either Berglund or Sobotka. Roy is going to get abosolutely mauled in the playoffs if he keeps playing like this. We don't need a passenger on that line. At least Berglund and Sobotka have shown they are willing to play the style that Hitch wants and have been successful at it.
Im not advocating for roy on the 2nd line but the 2 games he played with the kids, he was noticeably faster and more dangerous. Hes not physically defensive but hes good with his stick and has broken up a few odd man rushes and a few breakaways. He just dosnt fit in the bottom

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Im not advocating for roy on the 2nd line but the 2 games he played with the kids, he was noticeably faster and more dangerous. Hes not physically defensive but hes good with his stick and has broken up a few odd man rushes and a few breakaways. He just dosnt fit in the bottom

Well it's certainly easier for him to look better with them than on the bottom because Schwartz and Tarasenko are much better players. Berglund and Sobotka are just much better fits with Tarasenko and Schwartz. I honestly think we should sit Roy in the playoffs. He just doesn't fit in.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Well it's certainly easier for him to look better with them than on the bottom because Schwartz and Tarasenko are much better players. Berglund and Sobotka are just much better fits with Tarasenko and Schwartz. I honestly think we should sit Roy in the playoffs. He just doesn't fit in.
I agree, but if we HAVE to play him...

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
:laugh:

He certainly hasn't been helping it lately.

He wouldn't be on the powerplay if he wasn't good at it. Same reason Army didn't trade him; he obviously has some value to Hitch and the blues. I would platoon him and paajarvi on the 4th line. They are equal offensively, with a slight edge to Roy, but mps can play better defense.

Also, as I said, Army would have traded him for a low pick or something if benching him was in the plan.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
He wouldn't be on the powerplay if he wasn't good at it. Same reason Army didn't trade him; he obviously has some value to Hitch and the blues. I would platoon him and paajarvi on the 4th line. They are equal offensively, with a slight edge to Roy, but mps can play better defense.

Also, as I said, Army would have traded him for a low pick or something if benching him was in the plan.

Well the powerplay is something like 3 for the last 37. That's not all on him but if that's his primary value to the team, it isn't working.

Not necessarily to the bold but I agree he probably won't be. Who should be benched and who will be benched isn't the same thing.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

I disagree with this (although I'm not sure Roy will be scratched in the post-season). Either way, the Blues need to have that kind of depth if they're geared for a long post-season run. Same thing with keeping Colaiacovo after Leopold returns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad