Value of: Sobotka + Berglund

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Doubt Buffalo moves them after just acquiring them. Especially before they’ve played a game for the team.

Reactions: north49er

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If you retained a bit on Sobotka you could probably net a 2nd or a decent prospect out of a playoff team if he doesn't suck ass in Buffalo. Berglund? Why are you trading him? Don't trade good centers. You'll never get them back.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Doubt they move both. Buffalo lacked decent depth. If they can upgrade on one sure but I imagine they’ll stick around to help them be more competitive.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I like both guys, especially Sobotka, but I'm not sure you can find a taker for both when they make almost 7.5 million combined.

Personally I would have preferred to add either via trade to signing Derek Ryan as a free agent, but that ship has already sailed.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Okay, so, honest question; I was trying to compare the ROR trade from a Sharks POV.

I would say Sobotka+Berglund have the same value as Chris Tierney and Melker Karlsson, and that is probably a bit generous anyways; right?

As a whole, a comparable package would likely be Chris Tierney, Melker Karlsson, lottery protected 2020 1st, and Joshua Norris. Right?

Personally, I would not give up a 7th round pick for this duo. 2 more years at $3.5M for Sobotka, a 30 point player, and 4 more years at $3.8M for Berglund, a 30 point player? No thanks. That’s way too much money and term for a pair of bottom-6 forwards. I would much, much rather have $7.325M in cap space to use in unrestricted free agency or the trade market. I could do a lot better than those two with that kind of money.

Last edited:

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Okay, so, honest question; I was trying to compare the ROR trade from a Sharks POV.

I would say Sobotka+Berglund have the same value as Chris Tierney and Melker Karlsson, and that is probably a bit generous anyways; right?

As a whole, a comparable package would likely be Chris Tierney, Melker Karlsson, lottery protected 2020 1st, and Joshua Norris. Right?

Personally, I would not give up a 7th round pick for this duo. 2 more years at $3.5M for Sobotka, a 30 point player, and 4 more years at $3.8M for Berglund, a 30 point player? No thanks. That’s way too much money and term for a pair of bottom-6 forwards. I would much, much rather have $7.325M in cap space to use in unrestricted free agency or the trade market. I could do a lot better than those two with that kind of money.

Bolded is what I expected most people to say in truth.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If you retained a bit on Sobotka you could probably net a 2nd or a decent prospect out of a playoff team if he doesn't suck ass in Buffalo. Berglund? Why are you trading him? Don't trade good centers. You'll never get them back.
He's a winger pretending to be a center

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009

Calling Berglund a 30 point player is funny. When he is actually a legit 20 goal scorer. Fun fact, Berglund has scored 17+ goals EVERY SEASON OF HIS CAREER. that includes lockout shortened season and injuries. He is a 20 goal scorer period and he can win face offs play 2 way hockey and provide leadership. That is easily worth ~4 mil. Not to mention he has been a better even strength scorer then RoR has been. Berglund is not overpaid. If anyone thinks 3.85 mil is overpayment for a 20-23 goal scorer who isnt a rfa is not aware of comparable contracts.

Sabres arent trading them. They are 2 good middle 6 vet forwards. Sabres still are happy with the RoR trade and we are a better team now.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Calling Berglund a 30 point player is funny. When he is actually a legit 20 goal scorer. Fun fact, Berglund has scored 17+ goals EVERY SEASON OF HIS CAREER. that includes lockout shortened season and injuries. He is a 20 goal scorer period and he can win face offs play 2 way hockey and provide leadership. That is easily worth ~4 mil. Not to mention he has been a better even strength scorer then RoR has been. Berglund is not overpaid. If anyone thinks 3.85 mil is overpayment for a 20-23 goal scorer who isnt a rfa is not aware of comparable contracts.

Sabres arent trading them. They are 2 good middle 6 vet forwards. Sabres still are happy with the RoR trade and we are a better team now.

Erm, what? Berglund scored 10 goals in 42 games in 2015-2016, 12 goals in 77 games in 2014-2015, and 13 goals in 71 games in 2009-2010. Where are those numbers from?

Berglund has played 336 games and scored 134 points over the past 5 seasons. That’s an average of 67 games and 27 points per season, or 33 points per 82 games. I fail to see how calling him a “30 point player” is anything other than an incredibly accurate assessment.

ROR and a replacement level player is a significant upgrade over Sobotka and Berglund. Not sure how anybody can honestly try to argue that.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Erm, what? Berglund scored 10 goals in 42 games in 2015-2016, 12 goals in 77 games in 2014-2015, and 13 goals in 71 games in 2009-2010. Where are those numbers from?

Berglund has played 336 games and scored 134 points over the past 5 seasons. That’s an average of 67 games and 27 points per season, or 33 points per 82 games. I fail to see how calling him a “30 point player” is anything other than an incredibly accurate assessment.

ROR and a replacement level player is a significant upgrade over Sobotka and Berglund. Not sure how anybody can honestly try to argue that.
It's the mental gymnastics some Sabres fans have turned to to justify the O'Reilly trade. A late 1st, a 2nd, a good not great prospect and two borderline cap dumps was underwhelming. Most reasonable people realize Sobotka and Berglund didn't hold much value at all. They'll fill a needed role on a Buffalo team that last year had very little NHL caliber depth.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111

You should pin that so we can discuss the reality of your statement come next April and note the disappointed tone you will have.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Good?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad