So who wears the "A's"? Best guesses...

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
Since Hornqvist was shipped out and Fisher has now gone down with what could be a season long injury, who wears the 2 vacant Alternate patches?

I'm going with Paul Gaustad and maybe Josi?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Wouldn't shock me if one just happens to end up being Neal. Considering Josi will be on the ice with the Captain most of the time I'm not sure they bother giving him an " A" but I think he could deserve it.

Frankly, I'm willing to admit I'm not real sure how they choose this type of thing and what is the general criteria. ( I wouldn't mind being enlightened if someone doesn't mind doing it)

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
Cullen and Gaustad are most likely. Roy could get it too because he has leadership history.

I didn't think about Cullen...could be.

Just thought it might be Josi just like when Suter wore the A next to Weber's C. Especially since Josi is locked up long term and has built up the kind of resume that earns respect in the locker room.

I also considered Neal, but I'm hesitant to think they give Neal the A this first year though. If Goose is gone after this season I could see Neal getting the A then.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Who ever steps up and takes the leadership role. This is not the C so the veterans that have just came in are all good prospects. Goose and Rinne would be choices from the old roster. And yes I know it is untraditional to put one on the goalie but it has happened and recently as well.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Yes a goalie can wear a leadership letter. It has been done as recently as Louongo in Vancouver.

Yes and no.

Although the Canucks appointed Roberto Luongo as its team captain for the 2008–09 and 2009–10 seasons, since he could not be his team's official on-ice captain, Willie Mitchell acted as the official on-ice captain, serving as liaison to the officials, and Henrik Sedin and Mattias Ohlund performed ceremonial aspects of the position such as pre-game faceoffs.

Rinne is already, or was under Trotz considered to be in the leadership group.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
No, no they can't. Lou was named a team captain but not an on the ice captain. It's not permitted in any level of hockey.

clear as day from the NHL rule book 6.1

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/pdfs/2012-13_RuleBook.pdf

By rule you are correct that did not prevent him from being named captian and while he was not allowed to wear the C on his jersey he did sport it on his mask.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=251272

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/luongo-sports-captain-s-c-on-goalie-mask-1.756420

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
Thread title: "So who wears the "A's"? Best guesses..."

Yes I was asking opinions about who actually wears the A not who gets the honorary title.

Do you guys really think Neal gets it right off the bat? I can see it from the making him more accountable, more responsible for the team's success aspect. Maybe that would be a good idea...

But if not Neal, Cullen, Goose or Josi would all be good choices IMO.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
So why can't a goalie be an on ice Captain, especially if he is on it all the time? o_O

Goalies can't cross center ice, and unless I'm mistaking, they can't cross the blue line during a stoppage unless it's for equipment repairs, water, etc. Most of the time the officials are by the timekeeper's box at center ice. If the goalie is not allowed to cross the blue line during a stoppage, then he won't be able to talk to the officials.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Goalies can't cross center ice, and unless I'm mistaking, they can't cross the blue line during a stoppage unless it's for equipment repairs, water, etc. Most of the time the officials are by the timekeeper's box at center ice. If the goalie is not allowed to cross the blue line during a stoppage, then he won't be able to talk to the officials.

Even after watching hockey for the last 15 years I still learn things. Still think they could change the rule to the red line and then it could work.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I'd vote for josi and Neal. Glasstaud will be gone soon and both guys are high skilled guys under contract for a while and seem committed to what poile is building in nashville.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad