So who was Glenn Hall's back up(s)?

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
When he was in his consecutive games streak?

In the seasons when Hall set his consecutive games mark there was no such thing as a two-goalie system with the Black Hawks. This was certainly not unique to Chicago as goalies during this time were expected to and did play the entire 70-game schedule.

During Hall's streak there may have been an occasion or two where an emergency call-up was required or a trainer on stand-by. But in terms of a true back-up, in a two-goalie system that would have only occurred in the years immediately following the conclusion of Hall's streak.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
Well, obviously Denis DeJordy was the last.

I think Roy Edwards, Marv Edwards and Marcel Paille were in the Black Hawks' system at that time as well but they didn't ride the pine, they played in the minors. As others above me said, in that sense there was no 'back-up'.

Axxellien

Jun 23, 2009
Sherbrooke, Quebec
Denis DeJordy...

was Glenn Hall`s understudy & backup Goalie in what seemed a perpetual waiting in the wings...A shame...Very good Goalie who had to wait & wait....Glad the Hawks included His name on the 61 Stanley Cup..He deserved it...

Last edited:

gotthequalifications

Feb 8, 2011
was Glenn Hall`s understudy & backup Goalie in what seemed a perpetual waiting in the wings...A shame...Very good Goalie who had to wait & wait....Glad the Hawks included His name on the 61 Stanley Cup..He deserved it...

I respectfully disagree with the "very good" part. The "promising" tag was on DeJordy while Hall was on the team, but DeJordy's career with the Hawks post-Hall was short and disappointing. He had the chance in 1967 after Hall was injured to backstop a first-place, talent-laden club to the Stanley Cup, and crashed and burned. Fortunately, Tony Esposito was acquired in 1969.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad