Speculation: So who is the coach next year??

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Hopefully it will be Puddles, the hockey playing Pomeranian with three legs and a heart of gold and his assistant coaches, Steve the Traffic Pylon and Teddy Ruxpin.

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
I think Gallant is the most likely option (familiarity with Nill). Would be interested in Muller as a special teams coach if he'd be willing, but I'm assuming he's looking for a head coaching gig.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Whoever is good at clearing the crease. Also sticking up for teammates should be high on the list.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Can't believe the Stars picked Ruff over (insert future coach name here)!!!!

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Muller didn't do much as Canes coach, as I recall.....500 record and no PO appearances. Would be hard to hire him as the one to lead us to the PO. An assistant, maybe. I was never impressed in his various stints as assistant either. Seemed to just miss it, or I would recommend a possible assistant job to him.

Gallant seems logical to me with Julien gone from the market, but who knows who might pop up after the season ends. And, I always liked the idea of promoting Hitch, Gullatzan, etc., over hiring a retread, unless he has a really stout NHL coaching record.

But, that's just me.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
The Muller idea actually really intrigues me. He's worked with some good coaches as an assistant, he was saddled with a pretty bad team in Carolina and it appears he's well respected around the league. I think he went back to Montreal believing he'd have an opportunity for a larger role than he had in St. Louis, but with Julien there, he might be looking.

Muller has a reputation for developing good power plays, he never took a shift off as a player, and as an elite young forward in his own time, he might be a good influence for Seguin, Benn, and the glut of other young players coming through the system. It might be a bonus that he had played in Dallas too.

Beyond that, Gerard Gallant is an interesting name. I thought Ken Hitchcock was retiring, but he might be willing to go somewhere on a short-term deal. Kevin Dineen appears to be a favourite for a lot of positions, too. One wonders about Ralph Krueger too.

One suggestion I read somewhere that may be a bit out of left field is Phil Housley. He succeeded as a head coach in the world juniors and has developed some good young defencemen in Nashville while working under two highly esteemed, yet very different coaches in Barry Trotz and Peter Laviolette. Also, Nill would be quite familiar with his work with USA Hockey as he lived close to Ann Arbor and spent a lot of time around that program when Housley would have been there.

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
Ralph Krueger is definitely an interesting name. Lot of people think he's the best coach outside of the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad