Speculation: So.... who are we playing in an outdoor game next year?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Let's be honest, we all know it's happening, and none of us are happy about it.

So, pull out your Nostradamus hats and guess who you think we'll be facing in 2017-18.

My money's on a Stadium Series game at Ohio Stadium versus the Blue Jackets. Bam, a new team gets to host in a massive venue versus a team that'll supposedly help fill their barn and NHL/NBC also gets to promote a team that maybe/might be/could be turning a corner at long last in a market that they want to promote. Hosting Pittsburgh or Detroit would make more sense in my head, but guessing that the NHL will find a way to mess it up.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

So, pull out your Nostradamus hats and guess who you think we'll be facing in 2017-18.

My money's on a Stadium Series game at Ohio Stadium versus the Blue Jackets. Bam, a new team gets to host in a massive venue versus a team that'll supposedly help fill their barn and NHL/NBC also gets to promote a team that maybe/might be/could be turning a corner at long last in a market that they want to promote. Hosting Pittsburgh or Detroit would make more sense in my head, but guessing that the NHL will find a way to mess it up.

My money is on this being wrong :laugh:

tOSU and the Jackets don't exactly get along. I have significant doubts they host an NHL game any time soon.

Venthon

Nov 11, 2014

We've played the Blue, Capitals, Penguins, Red Wings, and Wild in case anyone can't remember them all.

I could see us getting the Rangers next year.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Hawks/Rangers in NYC somewhere? :dunno:

We've played the Blue, Capitals, Penguins, Red Wings, and Wild in case anyone can't remember them all.

I could see us getting the Rangers next year.

I must have been busy and missed that Wild game or something, because I have zero recollection of it.

Or maybe I just fell asleep during it like every other Wild game. :sarcasm:

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Hawks/Rangers in NYC somewhere? :dunno:

I must have been busy and missed that Wild game or something, because I have zero recollection of it.

Or maybe I just fell asleep during it like every other Wild game. :sarcasm:

The Rangers are forbidden from playing home games outside of MSG, or else they surrender massive tax breaks.

That's why they were the road team for both games at Yankee Stadium in 2014.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
The Rangers are forbidden from playing home games outside of MSG, or else they surrender massive tax breaks.

That's why they were the road team for both games at Yankee Stadium in 2014.

Interesting, didn't know that. Well I can't see another in Chicago anytime soon, so I'm out of any other guesses other than maybe a rematch but this time in Detroit?

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I'm thinking they go for 2: 'hawks vs. Florida in Florida and Vegas vs. the 'hawks for no reason.

And we lose them both with yet another bad own goal because a defenseman's brainfart.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I liked how the the Hawks opened the 2009 season in Finland, at the rate it's going I'm sure the NHL has to be thinking of trying to pull out some more of that, an outdoor game over in the Nordic country region.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I could see NBC going for Hawks Pens because it will a.) be a stanley cup final rematch and b.) be the first game Geno plays his former team as a Hawk.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
We should have the bottom feeder of the NHL play the Calder cup winner. I would watch that.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
Didn't the ratings tank this year? i'm guessing the Hawks are done for a good while.

The ratings have been consistently dropping, I believe. The novelty has worn off with all of the outdoor games the last few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad