So when is Salt Lake City going to get an NHL team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Expanding to Europe? f*** no. Sorry. There are already too many teams as it is. Plus you want that logistical nightmare?
I would rather and have a 4-8 game cycle or some shit(not a math guy sorry) for teams in the NA, and have the top 2 teams seeded in the playoffs

Honestly it’s bound to happen, there’s a lot of money there for the NHL

Back to topic the Mormons would have an extended problem with hockey culture.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
So when is an nhl team coming (fill in City here).. is there any hockey in that place right now? Do they even have an arena? There are cities with NHL arenas ready right now that don't have A team.

Why would the NHL go to city that has not been mentioned before?

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
Mormons love basketball. I think a lot of their churches have a court in them.

I don't think the NHL would be able to compete with the NBA there.
It's not a matter of competing with basketball. You gotta figure, there are less hockey fans in America than there are basketball fans. So if the Jazz are failing to draw in a lot of fans, hockey is going to do even worse. And with the market demographics (population) of SLC, I don't think NHL would fare well there, but I could be wrong. There's a nice metropolitan area to the South so I think some people to the South would travel north 20 miles to see a game. I just see other US markets getting a team before SLC does. Not to mention that Canada is in line too. Quebec wants their Nordiques back.

Reactions: The Sweetness

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
just moved back to Atlanta from SLC where I lived for 6 years and still go back about once a month to ski/play outside and conduct business

I think SLC would kill it in the NHL... outside of the outdoor community there isn't really anything to do in the Metro Area during the winter outside of Jazz games.

Tons of transplants and the ski demographic/hockey demographic has a big overlap.

Tons of disposal income- Sightlines at Vivint Center aren't great but it/Maverik center could probably serve as a stopgap solution until a new Arena would be built- Sandy/Murray/Draper area would be best.

Would immediately become my fav team in the NHL

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
It’s a weird area and city. Everything is prettier from the distance in Utah. I usually try not to stop for gas or any between Nevada and Wyoming, either hit Wendover or Evanston.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Salt Lake Miners

The logo
images

Reactions: NeelyWasAWarrior

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
just moved back to Atlanta from SLC where I lived for 6 years and still go back about once a month to ski/play outside and conduct business

I think SLC would kill it in the NHL... outside of the outdoor community there isn't really anything to do in the Metro Area during the winter outside of Jazz games.

Tons of transplants and the ski demographic/hockey demographic has a big overlap.

Tons of disposal income- Sightlines at Vivint Center aren't great but it/Maverik center could probably serve as a stopgap solution until a new Arena would be built- Sandy/Murray/Draper area would be best.

Would immediately become my fav team in the NHL
Double expansion within 5 years. One team to Quebec City and one team to Salt Lake City.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Too small for an American market.

that is some peoples response. I see other reasons why it would be way down the list. Small market team can survive but they can not have any real competition . Also. how is the attendance at the Maverik Center for the Grizzlies in the ECHL? Last reports I saw had them drawing between 4 to 5 thousand a game and being one of the more stable ECHL teams out there. Could that translate to selling out a 18K arena on a nightly bases? Or is that the max that they can draw. SLC and it's surrounding area has a population of about 1 mill and some could say that could be perfect.

But would a place like Houston. KC or even Albuquerque be a better fit long term for the NHL? There are better options out there than SLC and when I see "When will Salt Lake City get a team"? I ask why should they get a team?

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Too small for an American market.
But would a place like Houston. KC or even Albuquerque be a better fit long term for the NHL?
NHL and its fans need to stop with this crap. It doesn't matter what size the market is. What does matter is WHAT kind of market it is. Atlanta could double its size and it would still not be a hockey market.

Reactions: NeelyWasAWarrior

archangel2

May 19, 2019
NHL and its fans need to stop with this crap. It doesn't matter what size the market is. What does matter is WHAT kind of market it is. Atlanta could double its size and it would still not be a hockey market.

And what makes you the expert on the subject? Your opinion or fact? Atlanta should never get a team again. But why should SLC get a team over the places I have mentioned? At the end of the day is will always be about growing the brand. A houston vs Dallas rivalry seems natural or even Portland and Seattle. SLC? won't be Vegas or Arizona in my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad