Speculation: So...what's next?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The Wings have done a great job today and improved many of their major weaknesses from last season.

What else can or should Detroit Do?

What are some of the trades you would make?

What players still out there would you sign?

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Log jam of solid 2nd and 3rd line forwards. Thinking we're going to be trading away a couple guys.

Still need some "elite" talent for the 1st line and 1st pair defense.

Since it seems like we're really going for it now, I'd love to see Kadri.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
6.5x3 for Kadri would be awesome.

Defense, I think need to play the waiting game.

I wouldn't be mad at that but no way Kadri takes less than 8 after his season. I also think we need to move Suter or Fabbri to keep the team's flexibility.

Detroit currently has 11 million in cap space and I'm hesitant to spend more than 75 for the season. For all we know Detroit might end up buyers at the deadline or act as middle man to take retention on some other deals.

Detroit Red Wings Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
After all these signings, I smell a trade. Trying to think of a high ceiling guy who could use a change of scenery, or might be a cap crunch.

Or maybe just keep dealing with St Louis. They seem to be a few sandwiches short of a picnic with their decision making this summer.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
9p0st26v79m81.jpg

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
The most pressing issue - an eight month clock has started to run on Tyler Bertuzzi's future as a Red Wing. I think it's curious how little smoke we've heard from Yzerman, Detroit media, and Bertuzzi himself regarding an extension. Maybe we'll wake up to one tomorrow. Maybe he gets traded tonight. Regardless, something will have to give before the trade deadline this March.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Need another RHD in the worst way. I’m not discounting a run at Klingberg at this point.

That's honestly my big hope right now. 6.5 for Klingberg at 5 years would be amazing. Then Detroit could trade Hronek's 4.4 mil and another player like Suter to shore up the 3C with a legitimate 3C.

I have to wonder if Pageau is available on the island. That team should be headed into full on rebuild territory by now.

Reactions: DTR

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I wouldn't be mad at that but no way Kadri takes less than 8 after his season. I also think we need to move Suter or Fabbri to keep the team's flexibility.

Detroit currently has 11 million in cap space and I'm hesitant to spend more than 75 for the season. For all we know Detroit might end up buyers at the deadline or act as middle man to take retention on some other deals.

Detroit Red Wings Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
I agree. I think Fabbri is more injured than previously thought or is set to be traded. Suter I think is Stevie's only "bust" signing so far. He was brought in as a second line guy but has disappointed for the most part. He's either gonna be moved or be relied on as more a 3rd line guy.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The most pressing issue - an eight month clock has started to run on Tyler Bertuzzi's future as a Red Wing. I think it's curious how little smoke we've heard from Yzerman, Detroit media, and Bertuzzi himself regarding an extension. Maybe we'll wake up to one tomorrow. Maybe he gets traded tonight. Regardless, something will have to give before the trade deadline this March.

The market for him has to be slim right now because of the whole vaccine thing.

If Detroit could sign Palat to a 4 year deal I would build a package around Bertuzzi to improve the 2nd pair RD right away. Other than Weegar and Klingberg, what are some RD out there to consider?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Bertuzzi, Zadina, Rasmussen, Hronek, and unprotected 1st rounders in 2023 and 2024 to Edmonton.

Draisaitl to Detroit.

HFBoards becomes an infinite cascade of memes that implodes on itself.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
The market for him has to be slim right now because of the whole vaccine thing.

If Detroit could sign Palat to a 4 year deal I would build a package around Bertuzzi to improve the 2nd pair RD right away. Other than Weegar and Klingberg, what are some RD out there to consider?
Vaccine (and covid in general) is no longer an issue for almost anyone. He can even play in Canada since 2 months ago.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I agree. I think Fabbri is more injured than previously thought or is set to be traded. Suter I think is Stevie's only "bust" signing so far. He was brought in as a second line guy but has disappointed for the most part. He's either gonna be moved or be relied on as more a 3rd line guy.

Not sure if we can call a 2x 3M AAV guy a "bust". He was a stopgap (hence the 2yr) - with an outside hope he might be something more given an opportunity. He wasn't, and after a year, we made a more concerted attempt to find the 2C in Copp.

All that being said - being a 2C on the Wings, feeding Filip "I Never Met a Goalie's Chest I Didn't LIke" Zadina as one of your wingers and as your trigger man on the 2nd PP; I don't know how much Suter could've done.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
My guess is Zadina gets traded for pick(s) or a similar level player now that we have added 2 forwards to the top 6. I don't see any other big moves happening. I think Bert is here until at least the new year or a new deal being reached. I think by Aug 1, we see Dylan signed to an 8 year extension. Possibly another lower tier blueliner, since we still don't have a lot of good depth.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
The Wings have done a great job today and improved many of their major weaknesses from last season.

What else can or should Detroit Do?

What are some of the trades you would make?

What players still out there would you sign?
Honestly i say stay where we are and evaluate.

Bertuzzi Larkin Raymond
Vrana Copp Perron
Kubalik Suter X
X Ras Sunny

Let Zadina Berggren and veleno battle it out for the last spot.

I’m one of if not the only zadina supporter left still. But he needs to show some fire and needs to train this off-season like his life depends on it.

Could try to package Bertuzzi and Zadina. For a Tkachuk or a nylander.

Hronek you give to much heat to. He’s not a top pair D, but as a Offensive #4 Guy he’s still very valuable even with his flaws. He’s not breaking the bank so with his minutes cut back against lighter competition i think he’s in a real good spot to succeed.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Does the new C get a Non-Zadina winger?

Kubalik and Berggren are my assumptions for the 3rd line. I don't think Zadina is long for this team.
Honestly i say stay where we are and evaluate.

Bertuzzi Larkin Raymond
Vrana Copp Perron
Kubalik Suter X
X Ras Sunny

Let Zadina Berggren and veleno battle it out for the last spot.

I’m one of if not the only zadina supporter left still. But he needs to show some fire and needs to train this off-season like his life depends on it.

Could try to package Bertuzzi and Zadina. For a Tkachuk or a nylander.

Hronek you give to much heat to. He’s not a top pair D, but as a Offensive #4 Guy he’s still very valuable even with his flaws. He’s not breaking the bank so with his minutes cut back against lighter competition i think he’s in a real good spot to succeed.

Veleno makes it on a 4th line in a grinding forechecking role. He has way more speed than Ras and Sundqvist.
Berggren makes it on that 3rd line because he and Kubalik can skate and score on the rush.
Zadina can do neither of the above.

As for Hronek, he's easy to play against. Gives up on plays too often, doesn't battle in the corners or net front. The 2 defensemen signed today are the complete opposite of that. I really wonder if there were a way to work a Hronek for Pesce trade with Carolina.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad