Post-Game Talk: So, what shall we complain about tonight, fellas?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Adam Larsson I miss. Ethan Bear would've fit right in with all the bad defensive plays and give aways our defenceman make game in and game out. Oh and his cement boots would fit right in with most of our defenseman as well

Its too bad we dont have Ceci, Larsson and Bouchard on the right side. Not sure that I would give Ceci up for Larsson, I like both tbh. Barrie vs Bear is pretty meh. I like Barrie last year. I think his good outweighed his bad. He just hasnt been good this year. I still like the player but hes had a lousy year. I'd like to see a different coach before I'd be ready to pull the plug on the player.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It becomes exhausting to come back from 0-2 every 2nd or 3rd game, the offense isn't "giving up" as much as they're just shell shocked from Tippett's shit system and Holland's shit goaltending that causes the team to "chase" (hey lets do a montage of how many times Tippett has said "chasing da game" in his pressers).

They were battling hard at the beginning of the year to come back from deficits, but that has a limited shelf life if you're going to keep trying to do it as a regular thing.

If you're going to spot an elite team like Vegas a 0-2 head start ... your goose is pretty much cooked on most nights. The team clamps up and gets tense and teams have over scouted our PP (as they should) so they're aren't easy goals coming on the PP, no adjustment from the coach, now you're gripping the stick even harder.

The whole "well you can't win if you don't score" ... sure OK, but you're joking if you think that isn't influenced by constantly getting down in games to begin with. It changes how you play the rest of the way and also pushes the opposing team to shut it down.

Reactions: TB12 and Valhallis

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Its too bad we dont have Ceci, Larsson and Bouchard on the right side. Not sure that I would give Ceci up for Larsson, I like both tbh. Barrie vs Bear is pretty meh. I like Barrie last year. I think his good outweighed his bad. He just hasnt been good this year. I still like the player but hes had a lousy year. I'd like to see a different coach before I'd be ready to pull the plug on the player.

He can't skate. He's lost a step or he's out of shape.

IMO it isn't a coaching or systems issue with him it's now clearly a skills issue that he isn't going to figure out this season, maybe not ever.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
He can't skate. He's lost a step, or he's out of shape.

IMO it isn't a coaching or systems issue with him it's now clearly a skills issue that he isn't going to figure out this season, maybe not ever.

You could be right. But I'd like to think that our defense is better than what its shown. I think coaching and system is part of it. Maybe its not, who knows.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I said it in the GDT but if Koskinen started tonight the team probably had a better chance of winning.

That’s how bad things have gotten. When Koskinen is your best option. LMAO.

Seems like Holland and Tippett keep doubling down on Smith. They think hes going to save the season. Its pretty unlikely. He looked pretty good the first few games of the season, but I think the injuries are really affecting his mobility. He just falls down now. Hes looks like a worse version of himself from 2 years ago.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
You could be right. But I'd like to think that our defense is better than what its shown. I think coaching and system is part of it. Maybe its not, who knows.

Definitely part of it, no disagreement there. The system through the neutral zone and blue line is a joke.

I just don't think Barrie has it anymore. It's almost like a Turris scenario where he's a pretty good contributing player in a secondary support role (with a few warts), but the second he lost a step he was no longer an NHL player. That's Barrie this entire season.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
LOL. Smith ain't ever coming back to any kind of standard. He turns 40 in 5 weeks FFS.
I'm turning 39 this year and my body is deteriating rapidily. I'm not a professional athlete, of course, but I'm a pretty fit guy. Smith doesn't stand a chance IMO... Eventually father time takes over and there's not a whole lot you can do about it. Lol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm turning 39 this year and my body is deteriating rapidity. I'm not a professional athlete, of course, but I'm a pretty fit guy. Smith doesn't stand a chance IMO... Eventually father time takes over and there's not a whole lot you can do about it. Lol

ken-holland.png

"I don't believe in aging"

Reactions: Shaquille Oatmeal

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This year is in some ways the most frustrating, because they should be fairly comfortably in 2nd place in the division. They're nowhere close as good as Vegas, but they're good enough to be 6-8 points better than what they have right now.

If they had been willing to spend on a goalie.

Holland's summer was all wrong. Koskinen (not Neal) should have been bought out and a goalie should've been priority 1 for the off-season (not shit like Foegele, not even Hyman who has been OK).

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Wtf was that??

This team needs a Torts, Sutter, (yes) Babcock type coach who would lose their shit at that play and call it out right then and there.

You can't pass up a shot in that area, the fact that this team does things like that so often has to be because Dave Tippett allows them to get away with it without making much of a stink.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Well, I told you guys that would be Mike Smith's last game in the NHL. Skinner starts tonight and probably the next one til Mikko is back.

Smith isn't an NHL goalie.

And I agree with some of you, McDavid has checked out. Even if he's banged up, he is playing horrifically. We've had six years and won a single playoff series. McDavid will rightfully move on from this shithole organization in the offseason.

Holland had the opportunity to make a change after the thirteen losses. He didn't. That was that.

Reactions: KlefDown

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
He can't skate. He's lost a step or he's out of shape.

The first three Vegas goals were defense driven poor decision making. Had nothing to do with their systems play. First goal is essentially a rookie Bouchard caught up ice in the o-zone and mistake not bailed out by a sieve goaltender. Second was a backbreaking shorthanded 2 on 0 with Barrie trying to shoot the puck through a guy. Third inexplicably had Nurse and a pinching Ceci both penetrating with a brutal shot missing the net and going the other way where Barrie is caught badly trying to defend another jail break odd man rush.

Barrie's lack of speed is hurting him in recovery. Being a small, soft defender compounds the problems. And when his offence disappears, it is a problem on a badly constructed d-corp. that gets exposed for slow thinking and bad reads. When you have an over abundance of soft, poor thinking defensemen you're in trouble. Add sub-average goaltending behind it and you usually get a lottery team.

Reactions: K1984

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
agreed ^^

this organization is finished

McDavid gave us 2 GM's and 2 coaches, 6+ years of his life. he's going to move on and no one can blame him

Oilers failed. again.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well, I told you guys that would be Mike Smith's last game in the NHL. Skinner starts tonight and probably the next one til Mikko is back.

Smith isn't an NHL goalie.

And I agree with some of you, McDavid has checked out. Even if he's banged up, he is playing horrifically. We've had six years and won a single playoff series. McDavid will rightfully move on from this shithole organization in the offseason.

Holland had the opportunity to make a change after the thirteen losses. He didn't. That was that.

I simply say no as Katz and instruct the new GM to trade whatever 1st, whatever prospect, whatever to get McDrai help in the summer. And fire Holland.

So Connor is not going anywhere any time soon. But big changes are probably coming.

This isn't an optional after school hobby club either, there's still 4 years left on that contract.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Top to bottom that was the worst performance by the defense as a group in the last 5 years at least. Cody Ceci was his usual steady self, but other than that Lagesson might have been the best d man. Let that sink in.

The way this dog shit defense group is constructed there is no way out until personnel moves are made.

Bouchard should not be anywhere near the top pair, but he kind of has to be. Barrie is even worse than him in that role, but you can't take Ceci away from Keith, because Keith with either Boucahard or Barrie would be an even bigger disaster than Barrie on the top pair. So you're stuck. The answer is acquire a value right shot d that isn't spectacular, but doesn't barf on himself left right and center to play with Nurse. Nurse doesn't need a real top 4 partner, he just needs a guy that doesn't require baby sitting in his own end. Then that pushes Bouchard down to the 3rd pair to play a sheltered role where he belongs and hopefully pushes Barrie the f*** out of the lineup.

The Oilers don't need a top flight guy to at least get them not shooting themselves in the foot anymore, they just need a body that is somewhat responsible defensively on the right side. Long term solution? No, but this would help us now and shouldn't be that complicated to pull off. Except for our dumbass GM.

But isnt that typical oilerfans. Saying this player P was best, let that sink in, like the player was holding the standard to being trash. That the 6th D could hold as the best D is making me feel upbeat. I feel Lagesson has the potential, bit needs guiidening and time.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
This team needs a Torts, Sutter, (yes) Babcock type coach who would lose their shit at that play and call it out right then and there.

You can't pass up a shot in that area, the fact that this team does things like that so often has to be because Dave Tippett allows them to get away with it without making much of a stink.
Man, you are going to die on this cross, aren't you?

I love it. Keep fighting the good fight, brother.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Man, you are going to die on this cross, aren't you?

I love it. Keep fighting the good fight, brother.

I died fighting on the "Chia is a moron" hill and was right in the end and I'm right about this. People used to say the same shit on Chia when I used to rip him "man give Chia a break, he got us to the playoffs in 2017, we've won 2 or 3 in a row, etc. etc.".

A lot of this team's problems is because this coach doesn't want to rock the boat and gave up trying to coach them correctly 2 years ago because he realized he could just ride McDrai + Smith to enough wins and feel good nights to keeping eeking by.

You have to get someone in here who has a ego and believes in their system so much that they will lose their shit when the team is not playing within it even when they do win.

This team cannot work with a coach that coddles them this much and gives them a blank cheque for too many bad habits because "well we won last night or the night before with 3 McDrai points, everything is A-OK why you heff to be mad?" attitude.

Reactions: Shaquille Oatmeal

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
I died fighting on the "Chia is a moron" hill and was right in the end and I'm right about this.

A lot of this team's problems is because this coach doesn't want to rock the boat and gave up trying to coach them correctly 2 years ago because he realized he could just ride McDrai + Smith to enough wins and feel good nights to keeping eeking by.

You have to get someone in here who has a ego and believes in their system so much that they will lose their shit when the team is not playing within it even when they do win.
I just want a coach that doesn't let the players just do whatever they want. Tippett obviously does this. There is no system that McDrai play. Hell there's no systems at all. He just tells the players to play their game and that's it. You can't have a coach like that. This team is better than its record shows imo. We're not a bad team perse. I also don't think our goaltending is as bad as it has been. It's our coaching staff and no systems that make this team worse than it is. Are we a top of the league team? Hell no but we're definitely a playoff team and Tippett and his non-systems coaching style is drowning this team right now

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You want a coach who would be furious after that Washington game.

Yeah they won, but the same defensive lapses (Bouchard give aways, which will happen to a rookie, fine but who keeps putting him back on the top pairing? Give the kid some easier minutes, sheesh) were evident in that game.

But I gauruntee, Tippett did not say much or press the team much on this, because heyyyyyyyyyy ... they won ... hakuna matata dude! 5 game win streak. Don't rock the boat.

Well you do this shit and then don't act surprised when reality comes knocking later.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
But isnt that typical oilerfans. Saying this player P was best, let that sink in, like the player was holding the standard to being trash. That the 6th D could hold as the best D is making me feel upbeat. I feel Lagesson has the potential, bit needs guiidening and time.

Lagesson should never be the best D man on the ice. If he is the best D man on the ice, last game is the result.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
agreed ^^

this organization is finished

McDavid gave us 2 GM's and 2 coaches, 6+ years of his life. he's going to move on and no one can blame him

Oilers failed. again.
If he leaves, he's also at fault too. 12.5M was a chunk of changes and didn't give the Oilers enough wiggle room to work with. If he signed for 6M then I feel sorry for him but not at 12.5M

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If he leaves, he's also at fault too. 12.5M was a chunk of changes and didn't give the Oilers enough wiggle room to work with. If he signed for 6M then I feel sorry for him but not at 12.5M
It's not McDavid's choice to give Koskinen 4+. It's not McDavid's choice to trade for Duncan Keith without any retained salary. It's not McDavid's choice to pay Kassian 3.2 million. It's not McDavid's choice to consistently make terrible managerial decisions.

Toronto's even worse off than we are in the cap department yet they still find cheap, effective players.

2 years for Shore and Smith. f***in' lol.

Reactions: Duke74 and Skar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad